• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 Standard RMK won't idle after running

I

intheheartofit

Feb 18, 2019
Got a high mileage 4200 miles sled that just started to die when idling. Usually it hasn't been an issue. Now what happens is that while warming up it may or may not die, but after warming up it dies when moving it and then have to hold down the throttle a bit while pull starting it then it goes no problem, full power.

It was running really crappy earlier today so pulled the plugs and the belt side was soaked. Changed that and both cylinders are good again and full power. Checked compression and only got 100 for each side, but they were exactly the same compression.

Last year I had a few times where starting the sled in the field I'd have to hold down the throttle to get it going as gauge would flash then die, but now it's way worse. Also sometimes the gauge will flash on and off when warming up though might be better now that I changed plugs.

Don't know enough about these machines and been reading lots. Is the motor done (though it shifts into reverse no problem and quickly)? It is a bit harder to pull over, taking off the belt and pulling plugs was no issue but with the compression tester in it was difficult again, harder than I remember for sure. It was really stiff the first couple pulls and wasn't that cold out. What about reed valves or power valves? Could they be an issue?

Anything else I'm missing that is a giveaway to what I need to do to fix this and be able to ride and idle?

Thanks!

20221116_095209.jpg 20221120_141959.jpg

I

intheheartofit

Feb 18, 2019
Update: changed the reeds, local ones from a shop here in Canada were $45 each and did both sides. needed it as a few were chipped and could see light through a couple others. Made it easier to start, but still had the same issue.

Then did the TPS throttle sensor position and that was the answer. It was at 718 before and 900 adjusted to 700 and 940 and seems good to go.

Also needed new plugs.

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
Update: changed the reeds, local ones from a shop here in Canada were $45 each and did both sides. needed it as a few were chipped and could see light through a couple others. Made it easier to start, but still had the same issue.

Then did the TPS throttle sensor position and that was the answer. It was at 718 before and 900 adjusted to 700 and 940 and seems good to go.

Also needed new plugs.
TPS sensor may of just needed a calibration

D
Nov 2, 2008
Could there be a flat spot in the primary rollers that is not allowing the clutch to open up? Start it without the belt on . It will hang up on the belt and be difficult to turn over because of the friction between the belt and clutch. Just a thought. Or perhaps the weights are gouging into the movable sheave.

It’s rare for me to contribute here because there 1000s of other member that know way more then I do.

Premium Features