• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Standard Comp 850 Piston in Boost

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Now that the 2 year warranty is coming up for the 2022's, anyone planning on replacing Boost pistons with standard comp 850 pistons and throwing octane at it until it doesn't DET?

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
The pin boss is only difference in the Boost piston.
Be careful with adding leaded race gas. It has a bad affect on the wastegate. It will rust the bushings.

D

DuncanSteel

Banned
Nov 8, 2022
Alaska
I can't run my boost under a roughly 50/50 mix AV without it detonating, tried it a couple times now, wanted to see how far down I could get to straight pump gas with no issues and that's about what the verdict came out to be it didn't like much under 50/50. Last Det code I got I ran a comp test, bore scope, pulled PVs and replaced reeds and everything was perfect minus the reeds. Have a new NA so gonna run the boost 50/50 until she blows.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
If you got the 23 flash they already det a lot especially at lower elevations? I know numerous guys with 23s that have to run avgas or the sled is constantly hitting max det correction.

The underhood intake helps powder bog but also promotes det on ponder sustained pulls as it seems to still draw in some air.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
If you got the 23 flash they already det a lot especially at lower elevations? I know numerous guys with 23s that have to run avgas or the sled is constantly hitting max det correction.

The underhood intake helps powder bog but also promotes det on ponder sustained pulls as it seems to still draw in some air.
Yep the hottest air you can find on the mountain haha

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001

Crazy I have a 22 with the new flash only mod is fire & ice air box vent, p85 with full trs setup, stock can never seen det code, and I ride at home sometimes 1500' rode the black hills 6000' ride dubois quite a bit 8-10,000. Straight pump gas.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

This is confusing.

We run 90 octane non ethanol in Alaska and no det issues.

Added underhood vent or not.

Old flash new flash doesn’t matter.
(As long as the ev and wg have been relearned)

0-4500’ mostly.

D

DuncanSteel

Banned
Nov 8, 2022
Alaska

Yeah my buddies 23 made it 76 miles, got a max det code and grenaded shortly there after.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Sure it’s not caused by low fuel pressure?
Maybe the wrong fuel pump or tank assembly?
The 650 has a lower pressure FPR.
850 and Boost same FPR
850 and 650 use a 150lph pump
Boost has a 180lph pump

Premium Features