• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Spliting truck fuel cost.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
Grandpa takes my kids whenever they want also, or comes with us almost every week. We used to take turns driving but I have a bigger enclosed now and can get 6 in my trailer so I usually drive and grandpa will fill the sleds. It honestly doesn't get any better. Not nearly the extreme riding as when just the "boys" go but nothing better than watching your kids learn to love the sport you love.

sounds like my dad and i. until 3 years ago we used his truck and trailer every ride. i was finally able to get my own trailer so now i drive. it was weird for my dad to get used to; i pick him up and the sleds and truck and gassed up and ready to go. he mentions that he feels bad but i figured he covered it for the last 25 years the next 25 can be on me!

as far as others go most guys throw a 20 out for the truck. the truck usually takes 100-120 so it doesn't even cover fuel but i figure it better than nothing haha

If im taking younger guys so far they've all offered to pitch in; i usually dont take their money since i know what it was like trying to ride out of high school.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
My riding buddies and I have it pretty simple for long hauls.

Truck owner starts with vehicle full of fuel.
Usually a set price goes into an envelope the second you get in the truck. Pay for fuel stops out of it. When the trip is done, fill the truck back up and divvy up what is left of the money. Usually the truck/ trailer owner gets some for maintenance from whats left. That's only fair.

Day trips, or rips out to a local spot no one usually give a sh!t about.

Last edited:

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
If we are only one truck and trailer, we divvy the cost up at the end of the trip and I usually bumper the truck owner a few more bucks for oil/tires, etc.

If it's more than one truck and trailer, We usually pool all the fuel bills together and divide it up equally so no one is paying more than the rest.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
2 people-split truck fuel, passenger pays for all meals.
3 or more- driver/truck owner pays for nothing but his sled fuel. All meals, lunch, snacks paid for by passengers.

NDFARMER95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2011
Mooreton, ND
4 guys, diesel pickup, 4 place enclosed. Driver gets fuel, somebody else gets rooms, when we get back divide it by 4 and everybody pays up. Don't pay up and b!tch about the cost, tough luck, pay up, and we aint gonna bring you again. Fuel for sleds and food is on your own shoulder. It all works out because we alternate who drives every trip. We all have diesel pickups and 4 place enclosed trailers, and those that don't, well guess they get the luck of the draw.

Last edited:

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Day and weekend trips: Truck is full when we leave town and gets filled up when we get back. Split that and hotel (if applicable) evenly between everyone. Everyone is on their own for sled gas and meals. We seem to alternate drivers and trailers so the wear and tear evens out.

Multiday trips: Truck is full when we leave and everyone throws $100 cash in the pot. Pay for truck fuel, hotels, and meals out of the fund. When it's gone, everyone throws another $100 in. Everyone is still on their own for sled fuel though. Fill up the truck when we get home and make sure there is at least $100 extra for the driver for an oil change on the truck.

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
We always clear the tripometer before every trip. Calculate fuel mileage and divide by total miles, most accurate way possible. We always rotate trucks every trip to fairly divide the "wear and tear" on vehicles. Only 2 of us have trailers, one is my 12' and the other is a buds 29'. Whoevers trailer is used gets it washed for free.

JUDGED

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2015
www.judgedgear.com
My buddy usually drives and I usually fill his sled. Another guy rides with us and he commonly picks up his dinner. Another guy I ride with we just swap who drives.

Premium Features