• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dank fuel..Do you haul your own?

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
I see post after post of people bringing their SXS to my area in the summer only to see that when they leave, several are leaving with issues due to a bad tank of gas. I haven't heard of anyone getting bad gas here in Rapid City but getting fuel at various small towns throughout the hills or little fuel stations seems to be where the reports fueled up at. ((Basically anyplace that is convenient to fill up at while riding)) Thinking when I go outside of my home area that I'm going to pack a few cans of gas on the trailer. I don't have the luxury of an enclosed with a secure enclosed fuel tank or able to lock everything inside an enclosed. Curious as to if anyone has been suspecting the same with their riding are stations, fill ups and if you haul fuel, what do you like to haul gas and azz in and keep it secure.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I haul in an enclosed and like to carry 4 6-gallon jugs of gas when I go on trips. With the tank full, I can fill up with the jugs and ride 3 days and have a little spare. Not that buying local is a bad thing, we were in remote Idaho last year and the pump for the clear gas was not working so we had to use just regular gas for the day. Fortunately we weren't taxing the sleds very hard. On a 2-day trip, I can just use the jugs to fill 2 sleds with some left over. We also tend to tow 4-500 miles so having a little for the pickup for "just in case" doesn't feel too bad either.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I've always packed fuel when going on multi-day trips. I know what I'm getting where I live. Now, that I have a turbo, I mix 91 non-eth with 110 race gas.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
I have an old race drum that I fill and haul it with me. I've got a few too many hot items to worry about what I may be getting at the pump where we ride. I know what I am putting in it when I bring it from home with me. I'll buy snacks and drinks at the gas station but usually bring it with me.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I dont stress too hard, while we may head out to the booneys to ride all the spots we stay or launch from have high traffic service centers along the way.

Only reason I've ever brought fuel is heading places like BC where fuel costs like 50% more so filling up some of my spare 5g cans and throwing under the deck saves a guy 50 bucks in a hurry. So dollars really are all that drive it nothing else.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Cheaper at home for me.
40 gal tank under floor just in front of axles, 30 gal caddy, 6 race cans used according to time out.
When using open rigs we’d run a bike lock cable through jugs and around truck axle or other secure location.

Meadow Muffin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2012
SE Iowa
We always try to buy local if it’s a know fuel source, otherwise we bought a truck tank off Craig’s list and haul in fuel. Much easier when blending for the turbos and not worried about opening or closing times to get fuel. We have never had anyone steal or mess with our stuff in the parking lot on the mountain, but watch out when you are in town to eat or sleep. Much better people on the mountain than in town, or maybe we were just lucky…

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
There are some laws people should be aware of
My bud had a 55 gallon drum of vp seized from him cause he didn't have a hazardous endorsement on his driver's licence or the placard posted on the trailer.
I think the copp was just being a dick but it is the law.
Now what you can have is your entire trailer stacked floor to ceiling with full gas cans and be legal.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
I see post after post of people bringing their SXS to my area in the summer only to see that when they leave, several are leaving with issues due to a bad tank of gas. I haven't heard of anyone getting bad gas here in Rapid City but getting fuel at various small towns throughout the hills or little fuel stations seems to be where the reports fueled up at. ((Basically anyplace that is convenient to fill up at while riding)) Thinking when I go outside of my home area that I'm going to pack a few cans of gas on the trailer. I don't have the luxury of an enclosed with a secure enclosed fuel tank or able to lock everything inside an enclosed. Curious as to if anyone has been suspecting the same with their riding are stations, fill ups and if you haul fuel, what do you like to haul gas and azz in and keep it secure.

Are the ones burning down from bad gas - carberated?

Fuel infected should not go down for bad gas I wouldn't think.
Just have poor performin' ants.

???

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
Are the ones burning down from bad gas - carberated?

Fuel infected should not go down for bad gas I wouldn't think.
Just have poor performin' ants.

???

Don't know, From what I gather its both new and old machines. From what it sounds is impurities in the fuel, water, dirt etc.

Premium Features