• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Spliting truck fuel cost.

S

STEVE TWEET

Jan 20, 2010
When ever we make our big trips everyone throws in $50 in cash to one person and that personal always pays for the fuel with the cash then when we get home we divide it up and then tip who ever drove.

C
Nov 29, 2008
We are real good about alternating tank for tank in the truck. Where it gets dicey is when we bring "that one guy" that as we get close to home say 50 miles out and the truck is going to be EMPTY when it lands at home and its his turn to buy. This guy always grabs his bag and says...."thanks"

This is why I just do not go with these people anymore. The group I have now is real good about this. We generally always fill the guys truck that is driving at the end. After all its his wear and tear.

As for sleds we just split that up on the ride home.

Used tha have a couple of friends at the bar like that ...

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Day trips? Driver fills for morning. Fill on return, split that bill.

Our week trips from sask to bc or montana, $350 each in the pot. Fill all trucks up at every stop, pay cash, last fill left over money split up between truck owners for mileage and wear. (10+ hr of driving one way)

Last edited:
J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
Our main group is pretty disorganized about it, usually someone besides the driver gets all the sled fuel, whoever is left that didn't get the truck fuel or sled fuel will get a meal afterwards, or buy all the snacks/food/beverages for the day....then we also mix up who drives, gets sled fuel etc. It generally works out pretty even.

Pretty much nail's it ... shoot we're lucky if every gets to the same trail head on the same day.

Now that my sleds runnin , you need to take some sick days ( or I do ) and do some disorganized riding.

S

SXViper

Nov 26, 2007
Lenexa, Kansas
We use the alternate tanks method then even it out as best possible at the end. We've got a good group of guys that does really well at not making this a problem.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Everyone fuels there own sled. On local trips we just switch off who drives each weekend, on long trips fuel is split up between everyone in the truck.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
We usually all meet up at a spot and move sleds/trucks/trailers around. I live on the north end of denver so my neighbors are used to hearing sleds at 6am on the weekends (I plow the snow off their driveways all winter to keep the peace)

Usually the guy pulling shows up with a full tank and the sleds are empty. We just take turns paying for things and it always evens out. Driver gets his truck fueled, sleds get 91, depending on where we ride another guy picks up lunch, and we usually stop for dinner on the way home and even things up at that point if we need to.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
fill your own sleds, buy your own meals during the trip, riding days.

split the fuel cost for the truck for the whole trip, between whoever is in the truck.

driver/owner of truck, and trailer, gets dinner taken care of by group each day. and all tolls paid by the group.

usually help with clean up of the truck/trailer afterward, and help with off season maintenance on trailer if needed, wanted.

it is their vehicle, and you are helping with the wear and tear. be fair, or be pulling your own rig. Ski

coyoteman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
carson iowa
We alternate buying tanks of fuel for the pickup. The guys in our group with trucks take turns driving each trip and we don't care if some of the group has no tow rig since we would be going with or without them so we don't expect anything extra. Granted we haul the trailer out in December and don't bring it home till spring. Also all our sled fuel is on one ticket and we divide it evenly, our fuel usage is usually within a gallon difference per sled anyways. Our only rule is first stuck buys the first round and most stuck buys two. :face-icon-small-hap

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
My ridding buddies are 11, 9, and 7 so I get the fuel in both the truck and sleds and I couldn't be happier about it:face-icon-small-hap

H

HANDSOME

Nov 28, 2007
Pouce Coupe
My truck my trailer I expect some help with fuel but dont say anything till back or sometimes just dont say anything at all, all the guys who have rode for 10 years plus always pay but some of the younger guys (30s) think its a present. Its right around $150 for truck fuel if I pull my trailer. Then wash everything is $20. Then pick up half eaten sandwiches spilt yogurt etc. I decided to go back to using my deck and take my son instead.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
My ridding buddies are 11, 9, and 7 so I get the fuel in both the truck and sleds and I couldn't be happier about it:face-icon-small-hap

Been there done that:) Now I'm doing it with the grandkids! Maybe I could talk them out of some of that sweet tooth fairy money...

jdw1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2008
Minnesota
This is always interesting, you can always see the "real person" come out when it's time to pay! I also want 20$ for washing T/T after trip. I had one guy a few years ago that wanted his sled in my 4 place enclosed trailer but chose to ride in the truck that was pulling an open 2 place trailer getting better fuel economy and then gave his fuel money to him, he was "voted off of the island"

I usually end up driving, diesel truck with 4 place enclosed trailer.

Day and weekend short trips, 250 miles or less, split between people in truck.

Longer trips, to the mountains, fuel is split between the other three people in the truck, putting 2000 + miles on my T/T is my payment for the trip.

Everyone pays for there own sled fuel, lodging, meals.

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
Been there done that Now I'm doing it with the grandkids! Maybe I could talk them out of some of that sweet tooth fairy money...

Grandpa takes my kids whenever they want also, or comes with us almost every week. We used to take turns driving but I have a bigger enclosed now and can get 6 in my trailer so I usually drive and grandpa will fill the sleds. It honestly doesn't get any better. Not nearly the extreme riding as when just the "boys" go but nothing better than watching your kids learn to love the sport you love.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA

Yep, most of my trips are with 8&11 years old riding buddies now. They only seem to come up with used bubble gum and some couch change, so I make them do the dishes, garbage, feed the animals, firewood and mow the lawn as payment!
Plus I had to buy my riding "buddies" sleds too!

image.jpg

Premium Features