• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Some concerns before coming back to Cat.....

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I was once a die hard Cat guy, but it's been several years.
We've had Cat's in the group, but not for over 10 years.
Couple concerns I'd like to learn the answers to before coming back.....
1 - I read a lot of comments (negative) about the mono rail. I'd really like to hear more good and bad about that.
2 - When we had Cats in the group they were always the first low on fuel, is this still the case?

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
I was once a die hard Cat guy, but it's been several years.
We've had Cat's in the group, but not for over 10 years.
Couple concerns I'd like to learn the answers to before coming back.....
1 - I read a lot of comments (negative) about the mono rail. I'd really like to hear more good and bad about that.
2 - When we had Cats in the group they were always the first low on fuel, is this still the case?
I will bit with just a couple quick comments:
1 - Jury is still kind of out on how the mono rail works on the Catalyst. But some of the biggest media 'personalities' that were not shy about their distain for the mono rail on the ascender did not have the same reaction with the catalyst. Take that for what you want but it's a sign. Unfortunately the snow has been crap so far this year, so we haven't heard a ton from the public yet. Me personally, I'm looking forward to giving the mono rail another go on the catalyst. The alpha traction alone is worth another shot.
2 - My 19 ascender consistently uses around a gallon more then my buddy's 850 Doo on a full days ride. But I've never been in a situation where i was worried about making it back and I don't carry extra fuel.

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
The newer CTEC is much better on fuel than the older suzuki motor.
I like the mono-rail for the most part but many do not. The biggest downfall is that it is hard on tracks (other brands are certainly having a lot of track failures as well) and if you damage the monorail you need to replace the whole rail which is more expensive than replacing one or both rails on a traditional skid.

A

akdanno

Feb 22, 2022
Alaska
I've put 800 miles on my '23 mountain cat 16, and in deep snow the alpha rail can't be beat. In spring snow it can be unpredictable, very sensitive to throttle input. Most of the durability issues of the rail were addressed after 2021 I think, I've had no problems there. I ride in mountains only, with very few trail miles, and the alpha shines there. I'm sticking with the mono rail

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
If you ride in halfway decent snow most of the time, I wouldn't hesitate to get the Alpha. Hard crust is where the washout happens, and it's not a whole lot worse than the others, especially Doo. In good snow the Alpha is great, it just takes some getting used to.

Durability I wouldn't necessarily say is any worse than a stock twin rail setup, but there aren't any stronger aftermarket options for replacement like with a twin rail. I'm not really sure how well the braces work, that may be a good solution if you're rough on things.

ijstjohn

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2008
North Idaho
Here's my quick 2 cents:

1 - Some people just don't seem to get along with the mono rail. I personally have never had any issues and don't find it drastically different from a twin rail. I do think it's less predictable on steep side hills when compared to the twin rail and it does have some tendency to climb up or wash if it's steep, but I actually prefer it overall for the majority of my riding. With that said I also think that throttle control and rider position play a big part in that and I rarely have issues unless it's really steep.
Having put around 200 miles on the Catalyst so far I feel they have built in some " rigidity" to the new chassis and so far I think it feels more stable and predictable when sidehilling. The catalyst chassis is definitely a big improvement over the ascender and that is with the basic shocks that came on it which in my opinion are way too soft and don't have any adjustments besides spring pre load. I would describe it feeling slightly more like a Polaris Matryx but it moves side to side with less effort. I also noticed how compact and small it feels compared to my Alpha and the Matryx. Bonus points for the attach system so far. Not sure about overall longevity/durability but a nice feature for sure. With an 858 in the Catalyst chassis, it's going to be a solid sled.

2 - Fuel really depends on your style of riding, terrain, amount of trail, etc. I rarely pack fuel unless we have a long trail to get to the riding zone. Based on my riding group and generally what I have seen (most all newer sleds Matrxy, Gen 5's, 2023 Alphas, Catalyst), Ski Doo seems slightly more fuel efficient than Polaris and Cat but it's really hard to say unless everyone is riding the exact same mileage, time, and so on.

A

akdanno

Feb 22, 2022
Alaska
The pros of the alpha already outweigh the cons on the ascender, and if it's been improved on the catalyst then it's a no-brainier for me. I intend to order an 858, and I wouldn't buy a twin rail even if it was available. Fuel seems to be low on most people's list of worries, we can pack some

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I have broken twin rails on many cats.
Have around 10k miles on our collective alphas, no broken rails.
I bought a spare for $600 cuz of the complaints, it’s spent three years in the gooseneck.
Definitely better on gas.
Always packed gas and used it on Suzukis.
Don’t pack gas on ascenders but do pack a siphon to steal from the followers I’ve used it once.

Wash out is controllable with throttle. My son has an 18 and we’ve played around side by side and switching sleds.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I realize that, wasn’t exactly crying over or trying to refute your statement. Also noted the “gave the alpha everything” that most would read as “hammered it” which would wash out both of the cats mentioned.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Other note.
Have a family member who machined alpha rail braces for awhile.
None of us run the braces as they often weaken with install holes that crack or the braces actually create sheer points.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I realize that, wasn’t exactly crying over or trying to refute your statement. Also noted the “gave the alpha everything” that most would read as “hammered it” which would wash out both of the cats mentioned.
That is why i said it, knowing you meant throttle control but you obviously took it wrong or you wouldn't have sent this at me.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I have a high regard for the single rail design. Not because I ride one but because the 2021 165 in our group is always dominating. We have all other brands, turbo and non-turbos etc. in our group but that damn Cat is the one to beat. a (it is actually a Yamaha in Cat clothing) Yes he is a good rider but that doesn't explain everything.

A

akdanno

Feb 22, 2022
Alaska
Other note.
Have a family member who machined alpha rail braces for awhile.
None of us run the braces as they often weaken with install holes that crack or the braces actually create sheer points.

I have been wondering about this. I bought the Pin'd braces for my rail, but didn't install them because I was still under warranty. Now I wonder if I should just leave them off

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Has the cat build quality and fit/finish improved since the original Alpha? I've seen what the machines are capable of, but I question the reliability from the one machine I've ridden with.

A

akdanno

Feb 22, 2022
Alaska
Has the cat build quality and fit/finish improved since the original Alpha? I've seen what the machines are capable of, but I question the reliability from the one machine I've ridden with.
At least on my 23, the airbox is sealed up much better, and the rail has been updated.
[/QUOTE
On my 23 the airbox is sealed up much better, but I installed a BDX Protect-air on day one just for peace of mind. I had water issues in some of the electrical plugs until I packed them all with dielectric grease, otherwise it's been pull and go

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I run 4-5 alphas most days.
Never towed one home, until tomorrow since I said that.
Even rode out after shattering bottom of chain case on stump but that was sheer luck.
Three are over 3500 miles with only clutch maintenance aside from a arm wrecks, etc.
Still sleds, but reliability has been great for us.

Premium Features