• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

So I am "Considering" buying a new Yamaha 2014 Viper

J

jbunce

Dec 12, 2010
squamish BC
Lots of speculation on what's to come from yamaha and MTX but has everyone forgot about EVO. I mean they are the ones pushing the cats. Id be more interested in what they are coming up with since we would be blind to say cat isn't working with them so I wouldn't be surprised to see yamaha looking into seeing what they can offer yamaha.

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
After putting a few hundred miles on a proclimb last winter, I can't wait to get on a '15 Viper/Mountain Max/Mountain Viper MTX.

I may have to sell my soul, but I'm snowchecking one next spring. haha

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I think ALL OF US are more than a little EAGER to start getting some first hand owner feedback on these new sleds.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
The Yamaha factory rep I spoke to dished out alot of info, some of which was that Yamaha knew people were concerned about the weight of a four stroke. That being known, they built the Viper XTX 58lbs lighter than the Nytro XTX. He also said they were currently testing the MTX version of the Viper. Yamaha made 70 changes from the prototype to final production. Their race teams were at the Artic Cat plant when the first ones came off the line. If they saw something they didn't like, the sled went back into the plant. He said that Artic Cat took some ideas from Yamaha to use in their sleds that were not part of the agreement, but they knew it would happen regardless.

All in all, I think it will be a great sled.

When I pointed out in a thread on the Cat site that my 2014 M8 showed Yamaha fingerprints on the secondary clutch and a couple other changes from 2013 Cat I was jumped all over as that could not happen.....duh!

Wouldn't any intelligent person grab some advanced tech if they could and use it?

SOOOO....in a nutshell the company that has made the best engines partnered with the company that has almost always been cutting edge suspension (every since they pioneered the slide rail) and yet some people still whine like girls. I don't understand that. I AM though anxiously awaiting the specs on the 2015 Mountain Max. I may have to buy one of those!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Anyone have the inside scoop on what Yamaha has been doing at their test facility in Alaska last week and this week??

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Are you saying someone besides you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
I do not have the inside scoop.
I know they are there.
I know they are testing something new.

But I have not been able to get any real details.

I strongly suspect they are playing with long track boosted 2015 Vipers but I can't prove squat. I am HOPING they are doing early tests on a new sled...

Last edited:
S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Bought a 2014 Viper for the girlfriend Saturday already have 60 miles on it.

LOL, do the Japanese think we are all 300+ pound gorillas? The front skid shock came set up so stiff it made me scratch my head. Well, after about an hour or two of adjustments here is what we came out to for a person 150 to 160 pounds weight.

Front shocks = 65 pounds
Front skid shock set to center ( equal threads below and above lock rings)
Rear shock 120 pounds.

After this setup the Viper ran down a trail or road like my 2014 M8 and feel like it is on rails. Such a HUGE change from how it came set up. Really glad we bought the Viper. Best comparison I can make is Apex ride with short track Ski Doo XM ability in the powder. (after long track I expect it will be like my 2014 M8 and be similar to Polaris Pro in the powder) Sidehills second to none.

Had a long straight road to go down and it was truly funny to blast by the "other" mountain sleds struggling in the ruts. Both my 2014 M8 and the 2014 Viper screamed past in a flurry of snow!

Now to long track it and put the narrowed front end on. Could have waited for the Mountain Max but a little birdy told me that the 2015 Mountain Max would be a long track narrowed front arms Viper so why wait?

ANYBODY on the fence grab one of these.....

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Still considering or have you decided to wait for the 2015 announcements?
I am stuck in a holding pattern right now.
Been hunting for a good used Phazer for one of my kids and having no luck at all finding one. Need to take care of the Son/Daughter before I get a new toy to start working on. Really thought I would be done a month ago.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So I was checking up on my Viper last night.
That same little bird told me to cool my heels and just be patient and wait.
Promising me if I waited I would be richly rewarded with whats coming shortly.

It looks VERY strongly like we are going to get a MTX version of the Viper in the next 90 days...

J

JSun

Nov 26, 2007
Owatonna, MN
Little birdy says (anonymously),

2015 Mountain Max = Viper with narrow front and 153 track

2015 Phazer = new engine in an unknown (Cat?) chassis.

Anybody else hear these rumblings from Yamaha or elsewhere?

Haven't heard the Phazer rumor, but looking at the Cat/Yammi relationship, it only makes sense that the Viper motor will be the 4-stroke for both, replacing the 1100 twin in Cats lineup. With that said, I have to think we will get a "7000" series and a "9000" series with a turbo.

SR Viper MTX 7000 series
Mountain Max 9000 series (180+ HP)

Joe

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I have to admit that outlaw 162 viper is a one beautiful sled and looks like it could be a very capable mountain sled. nice job. :thumb:

Stingray They may do that for transportation reasons and expect the dealers to do adjust things before the sleds go out the door and we all know that seldomly happens. Some dealers are good some not so much. Things with a large amounts of suspension travel have a tendency to move while being transported. Shifting loads and weights can obviously pose a big problems. Glad to hear that with few hours you were able to dail things in.

Premium Features