• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Slow Flatland Riders

J

jtill88

Jan 4, 2011
Let me start by saying my wife and daughter are extremely slow riders so I GET it.
When I am leading a group I make it clear to have respect for all riders, drive under control and ride within your limits and STAY on your side of trail especially corners, and be aware of faster riders, not only coming at you but behind as well.

Now I am glad the sport has become more popular, but the last few years this problem with slower inexperienced riders seems to be getting worse. I have been on a sled every winter for 40 of my 44 years, ride hard when possible and know how to handle a sled. I will stop if help is needed and have not ran into or forced anyone off a trail. I have come across the crazies ridding too fast also (seen a few them wreck with my own eyes) but that's another story.

Now here's my weekend experience. Our local trails are mostly narrow and twisty in the national forest. I was riding my wife's 94 Indy 500 (not my 900) after doing some work testing it for a day long ride. 1 hour into it with 2 friends was coming around a corner and almost got taken out by the lead sled, a touring 2 up with 2 people on board cutting the corner like nobody possibly might be coming from the other direction. The second sled panicked and in order to avoid hitting me and the lead sled slid sideways then drove off the trail ending up lightly hitting a tree. This was a group of 7 people with 3 touring sleds and 1 standard. Made sure they were fine and after apologies we continued on our way.

Second round. 1 hour later we came upon a group of 4 sleds (as it turned out) riding extremely slow. We rode behind them for 30 minuets at speeds of 10-15 mph. Not one time did sled 3 or 4 EVER look behind them. When there was a straight run long enough for my crew to get around them both these riders rode the middle drifting back and forth taking the ENTIRE trail. The corners, right down the middle, if another rider was coming the other way there was no room to maneuver around.To make matters worse sled 2 did look back on every straight run and chose not to pull over to let us by.
Finally after 30 minutes of this there was a long wide straight run and we managed to get by 3&4 safely but as I approached 2 as far on left side of trail as I could possibly get ( could easily fit a sled between us ) he starts drifting left. I'm almost next to him as he starts this, WTF! I manage to get around him and at the end of the straight there is a sled shut off parked on the right side of groomed trail, not off to the side, right on the trail. As I drive past he walks to middle of trail, outstretches his arms like I'm to blame. I had enough, turned around and confronted him. He told me I was driving dangerous.
I went around them at 30-40mph tops with a clear view, plenty of room and NOBODY coming the other direction
Told him to keep track of his group as he is the leader (late 50's), instruct them to keep on the right side of trail especially around corners and be aware there are faster riders behind them. Most of which would not wait as long as we did.
Now after that discussion as I'm turning around to continue our ride they all motor on ahead of us, I just shook my head pulled off the trail waited 30 minuets. As were riding I notice their tracks, no difference.

I know this is a rant so I apologize for that.

But seriously I have heard these kind of people go on and on about how they were disrespected on the trail all the while acting like they weren't at fault at all.

Just my experience and point of view.

D

Dobber1

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Kinda reminds me of some people I've been unfortunate enough to play golf with that ask you what you had, on EVERY hole. :face-icon-small-con

SnowmobileNetwork

Premium Member
Oct 15, 2013
www.slednetwork.tv
Flatlanders Rock

Out east in Tug Hill we are known for some of the fastest trail riders anywhere,

In fact I am the administrator for Sled Tug Hill and I have been getting complaints that I am playing too many videos with Powder Puffs LOL

I was coming on to let you know over at Sled Tug Hill I have been getting PM's too ..they say enough with the Powder Puff Videos

I told them it's just a different way of riding
Whats your opinion , could you deep powder riders handle the curves at 70mph

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Does anyone have a clue what coming in the opposite direction when going around the corners ? I spend very little time on the trails but in the past when I have the corners worry me the most.

DPG

SnowmobileNetwork

Premium Member
Oct 15, 2013
www.slednetwork.tv
LOL

I guess that answers the question

NO
You see your sleds are not set up for trail riding you have your center shocks twisted up for more track and less ski pressure
Trail riders want more ski pressure to carve the turns. So you don't have the control on the trails like we do..
That could be why. It easier for a trail set up sled to handle this.

Last edited:

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID

NO
You see your sleds are not set up for trail riding you have your center shocks twisted up for more track and less ski pressure
Trail riders want more ski pressure to carve the turns. So you don't have the control on the trails like we do..

Hmmm, I can adjust my suspension to make my sled have more trail manners.

Can you install a suitable lugged track on your sled to make it work off the trail in the mountains where we ride????

Didn't think so. :becky:

SnowmobileNetwork

Premium Member
Oct 15, 2013
www.slednetwork.tv
So I guess NO

I am asking if you can ride at those speeds and bumps

The guys out east have no clue how to ride off trail..LOL
So MTN riders would win that for sure.. can you handle 12 hrs of hard core high speed ...intense trail riding ..

I do my trip to West Yellowstone every year.

but no ones is saying I can hang .. we are rubbing skis and pushing each other around on a normal day
Basically Sled Nascar

Last edited:
D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States

NO

I don't care how setup a trail sled is...cornering at 70 mph isn't the issue. Braking quickly if ever needed becomes the issue.....

What happens in the corner if you have to grab a handful of your brake at 70mph while in the corners ?

DPG

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Lets face facts here we all have small packages this is turning into a high school debate of who's is bigger. back on topic please. it is the mentality that it is me me me. I deal with the same thing on public roads and they look at you like your the idiot. Not too surprised to hear the same thing happens on trials. As one of my friends says "people are generally stupid" and a quote from Ron wright "you cant fix stupid"

Last edited:
D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
My sled for some reason just died in the corner and won't re-start so my 1st instinct is to drag my sled to the side of the road but before I can get to,the side of the road some sledder at 70 mph just slammed into my sled because he could stop.....

Holly chit I was flying around the corner and slammed into a herd of Buffalo, Elk or Dear standing in the trail because I couldn't stop.

A sledder who drives 70 mph in the corners who can't see all the way through the corner is not a defensive driver, he is an aggressive driver and potentially dangerous to anyone on the same trail.

DPG

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I told them it's just a different way of riding
Whats your opinion , could you deep powder riders handle the curves at 70mph[/QUOTE]

Can't see any reason why I'd want to:noidea:

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
Is this Sno WEST? FFS, who cares about trail riding, and poor trail etiquette? Perhaps this is better addressed on another forum. This one is geared towards the riding OFF trail....

Ace

Premium Features