• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Slow Flatland Riders

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
As the administrator for sled tug hill (some sort of club I'm guessing?), shouldn't you be at least a little bit safety-minded? This thread wasn't even talking about how good of a rider you think you are, it was addressing a safety issue involving trail etiquette. What are you gonna do when you're flying around the corner at "70" mph and there's somebody stopped, broken down, or coming at you on your side of the trail? A little kid's first time on a sled, or an experienced rider who made an error and took the turn a little wide- it doesn't matter, someone's gonna get hurt.

I'm also not sure why you decided this was a flatland vs. Western rider argument either, you can tell the op is a trail rider even if you didn't read his post, based on the 900 fusion in his profile pic...

Please don't come to west Yellowstone either, I don't want to hear about a collision between some meathead and a 60 year old tourist. It's stuff like that that makes people want to shut down our sport more and more each year. People like you give our sport a bad rep when you're that ignorant.

I'm 20 years old, I've been on sleds since before I could walk, and i want to be able to keep riding into my 60's, 70's, who knows how long I could last. I don't want to see my favorite thing on this planet be taken away from me because of some @holes who think they are hot $ħ!ţ
And in all honesty, I don't give a flying f!¢ķ how good you think you are on a snowmobile, I'm just gonna be up in the mountains, far off the trail, where I don't have to deal with people like you

Ok.. I'm done now, have a good season, be safe

M

Mountain_Man

Apr 17, 2014
Western Montana
To answer your question I believe many hard core mountain riders would consider intense near sea level flatland trail riding as restful in comparison..........but what all this has to do with trail manners and safety is beyond me.

Regardless of people's riding ability and preferences, whether they are pushing the limits in corners at 70mph or not, safety of other people and good manners still apply, in my opinion. Just because one is skilled at pushing the limits does not give them the right to needlessly endanger others. That's why people that drive like a race car driver on public roads still get citations when they really are race car drivers.

I am asking if you can ride at those speeds and bumps

The guys out east have no clue how to ride off trail..LOL
So MTN riders would win that for sure.. can you handle 12 hrs of hard core high speed ...intense trail riding ..

I do my trip to West Yellowstone every year.

but no ones is saying I can hang .. we are rubbing skis and pushing each other around on a normal day
Basically Sled Nascar

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
I am asking if you can ride at those speeds and bumps

The guys out east have no clue how to ride off trail..LOL
So MTN riders would win that for sure.. can you handle 12 hrs of hard core high speed ...intense trail riding ..

I do my trip to West Yellowstone every year.

but no ones is saying I can hang .. we are rubbing skis and pushing each other around on a normal day
Basically Sled Nascar

Ahhh, a bunch of Ricky Racers huh? LMAO.

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK
I ride with a guy that is from back east and he is always in a race with somebody. I don't know who he's racing. I don't even try to keep up with him. He's always first. I guess there's some value in that.

A few weeks ago we were riding on a fairly flat area. The light was real flat and he had just passed me. He hit a stump, got airborne and when he came down, his ski went under the snow and hung a buried spruce. He went over the handlebars. I caught up to him and made sure he was okay. Then told him that that's why I don't ride faster than I can see.

I may go slow, but I rarely have that kind of thing happen to me.

I keep thinking it's a back east thing. I don't understand it. Unless there's a reason to be in a hurry, I usually ride pretty slow on the trails. 25 miles per hour is fast enough in most cases. Things like oncoming traffic on blind corners (the trails here twist and wind up the mountain, so lots of blind corners) and destroying the trails makes me want to stay out of the throttle on the trails.

Maybe if I rode groomed trails back east I'd feel different about it, but usually my track speed only gets up to 70 when I'm pulling a a big hill.

R

Roostmonkey

Oct 16, 2013
I'm from Mass and refuse to ride TUG hill because of Asshat's like this guy. Unfortunately, we are limited to Maine and New Hampshire for good off trail riding and Trail riding is a nessesary evil. Its guy's like this that have helped put me in the woods and for that I thank him. Too many close calls from Hibbert wanna-be's that feel they are the only ones on the trail. There's A-holes everywhere but that area seem's to draw the most. I'll stick with the mountains of northern NH and N. western Maine. We need snow BAD, too much rock and stump carnage for off trail. Until then, I'll roll the dice on the trails because thats all we have. Ride right,ride safe.

C
Dec 24, 2014
The trails are there for the slow riders, regardless of where they are from. More experienced riders simply use the trail as a highway to the goods.

Just because they were on flatlander sleds doesn't necessarily make them flatlanders. We have lots of these folks around, we just refer to them as the rednecks. Carharts and short tracks, beer in one hand and a furry Russian hat instead of a helmet.

Just slow up, make your way around and probably never see them the rest of the day.

Last weekend though we had a redneck on an ancient AC Jag, he led his crew on trail sleds right up through one of our play areas carving turns up on one knee. It was AWESOME.

I am just glad to see people get out.

I lived in MN and rode sleds there too. I could ride from my back door to work and did so in the winter many, many times. I stormed the trails and frozen rivers at speed for years. So, I am pretty sure can keep up on the trails. Trail riding will never compare to mountain riding, not on any level that I can imagine.

camppowersports

Lifetime Membership
Jun 23, 2010
What makes you think they are flatlanders? Most "flatlanders" I've ever ridden with (I'm from Iowa) want to ride as fast as they can and and have good trail etiquette. Flatlanders, as you call us (northeast Iowa actually is not flat at all) don't come to Wyoming to trail ride. We can do that here, and believe it or not, actually have trails that are smoother and better groomed. The people you met on the trail are probably not flatlanders, just locals who have never ridden before.

Premium Features