• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ski-Doo: New Lineup REVEAL 2024

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Polaris Ride Command's "Buddy Track" feature does have it's own radio. It was developed by Trail Tech in their Voyager Pro GPS system. I believe Polaris bought the company, or at the very least has licensed their tech in the 7S screen. As a result, a Trail Tech Voyager Pro and a Polaris 7S screen will see and share location information with one another. To quote Trail Tech's website, Buddy track : "uses long range radio frequencies to connect multiple riders and display each rider as an icon on the screen. The external antenna is required for buddy tracking to function properly.". Their kits have a dedicated antenna using a proprietary protocol on an unlicensed frequency for device<->device comms, as does the 7S screen from Polaris.
Have three on order for a long term review coming up

I
Feb 20, 2023
USA
I don’t have any experience with 40s but with the 36 there is the possibility to use 34” front end with aftermarket a- arms like Zbroz or with very easy slight modification the OEM arms or shock. Where is the issue with 40s? I have a set of 34” Zbroz arms here but haven’t tried putting them on yet. Tom offers modification to his new and your favorite Floats to use 34” OEM arms in 10 minutes.
Hi, how modification need to do with OEM 34" arms on KYB 36 CR Kashim?
Thanks

96-ramair

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2012
I would think maybe they are using MURS. Garmin is using it on their Tread GPS systems to track other riders without cell use.
I looked into this in the past, and as I recall, they are not using MURS freqs. They're in the ISM band somewhere. The Garmin Tread do use MURS.

96-ramair

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2012
Have three on order for a long term review coming up

Good luck! I've been trying to order two since November, 2022. I've spoken to them several times. Unfortunately, they have a supply chain issue with the GPS chips, and can't produce any Voyager Pro units. Last time I spoke to them, they hoped that they could resume shipping in March/April, but have quite a backlog of orders. If you want to get ready, a guy with a YT channel called "Mountain Sledder Garage" has installed them in both Poo and Doo sleds.

I think once they're shipping, they're a very good alternative to the Doo 10.25" screen. This has offline mapping (including GeoPDF map support), buddy track, Bluetooth headset/music/phone stuff, but also additional gauge support. Engine Temp, air temp, etc. But you can do things like add speed sensors to the track, all kinds of things. This with the factory gauge would allow you to have all kinds of performance data available to you.

There's two big limitations with the Doo 10.25" screen that drive me batty. First, the cell phone dependency we all know about. But another Achilles heel is that you can't load your own tracks or your own maps. Trying to find your way to a buddy's newly found honey hole? Trying to find the secret slot through dark timber that you found 2 rides ago but can't find today? Need to load your own club's trail map? You can't do any of that with the Doo screen. Maybe they'll add those abilities some day, but not as of now. Trail Tech's unit does all of these things and you can buy 2 of them for the price of a 10.25" screen and move them from sled to sled.

Last edited:
C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Good luck! I've been trying to order two since November, 2022. I've spoken to them several times. Unfortunately, they have a supply chain issue with the GPS chips, and can't produce any Voyager Pro units. Last time I spoke to them, they hoped that they could resume shipping in March/April, but have quite a backlog of orders. If you want to get ready, a guy with a YT channel called "Mountain Sledder Garage" has installed them in both Poo and Doo sleds.

I think once they're shipping, they're a very good alternative to the Doo 10.25" screen. This has offline mapping (including GeoPDF map support), buddy track, Bluetooth headset/music/phone stuff, but also additional gauge support. Engine Temp, air temp, etc. But you can do things like add speed sensors to the track, all kinds of things. This with the factory gauge would allow you to have all kinds of performance data available to you.

There's two big limitations with the Doo 10.25" screen that drive me batty. First, the cell phone dependency we all know about. But another Achilles heel is that you can't load your own tracks or your own maps. Trying to find your way to a buddy's newly found honey hole? Trying to find the secret slot through dark timber that you found 2 rides ago but can't find today? Need to load your own club's trail map? You can't do any of that with the Doo screen. Maybe they'll add those abilities some day, but not as of now. Trail Tech's unit does all of these things and you can buy 2 of them for the price of a 10.25" screen and move them from sled to sled.

You can duplicate a ride and mark a way point on the BRP go app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H
Feb 7, 2018
You dont have 5, you have more than that, you do NOT have to run the same torsion spring cam numbers, nor do you have to run the same tension springs.
I run a staggered number, on my G5, and slightly stiffer torsion springs. One sled I ran a staggered number and two different tension torsion springs. Without loosing ride height, with a large jerry can and my tunnel bag.

Most guys wright off the factory shocks in favour of the big name aftermarket, I can put a monster sticker on my sled, it doesn’t make it better.
They guy that tunes my shocks, tunes the factory Doo race sleds, snocross and hillclimb sleds.

To each his own, you said archaic, I say fine wine. I like the torsion suspension in my GM as well.

That's interesting for sure. That is more than 5, but still more complicated and difficult than spinning or replacing a single coil spring collar perch and still less adjustment setting possibilities. I can go to any of many coil spring manufacturers and give them spring spec and get one, and stack them into dual rate than you will ever find options for, and how would you multi-rate a torsion spring? Still less, not more adjustability and spring options.

If we're going to refer to race sleds, what percentage of hillclimb racers are winning are on your preferred setup, vs. coil springs across all the brands?

Outside of racing, I guess Burandt, Adams, Kesterke, Saxton, and at least 50% of the most progressive backcountry mountain riders who useFloats don't know what they're doing? Granted that's a lot of Poo riders but they're still kick a$$ on floats.

I was ONLY referring to replacing the REAR TORSION SPRINGS with FLOATS, NOT saying there's anything wrong with KYBs anywhere on the sled. Love the KYB on my shredder and only replaced the fronts because I broke one and it's not fast or east to repair or replace those particular shocks and keep riding this season. I don't expect to want to replace the 40's ao my '24, and have no problem and only praise for properly set up KYBs so that's never been a criticism from me.

If squeezing the maximum out of torsion spring options is what works for you and you prefer, that's great. Some guys still like carbs but that doesn't mean that's what OEMs need to be manufacturing anymore.

I am just saying the status quo for other brands' mountain sleds and most riders regardless of brand, has moved on and many of us choose to delete torsion springs in favor of retrofitting air or coils in their stead and have for about a decade. The benefits are there.

Last edited:
H
Feb 7, 2018
Hi, how modification need to do with OEM 34" arms on KYB 36 CR Kashim?
Thanks

I have not tried yet because I have not felt the need to go to 34" on my Shredder yet, broke one the shocks before I for a chance to try, and the Shredder RE shocks are different anyway.
Apparently you can just grind a small area on the arm without structurally compromising it. Some other shocks can be clocked in rotation to move areas of concern. Tom offers services to minor grind on new floats he sells. Outside that Zbroz Cr Mo 34" arms are designed to work IIRC.

It really depends what shock you're using, but according to dealers/suspension vendors like our local Tom's, it's not really an issue.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Good luck! I've been trying to order two since November, 2022. I've spoken to them several times. Unfortunately, they have a supply chain issue with the GPS chips, and can't produce any Voyager Pro units. Last time I spoke to them, they hoped that they could resume shipping in March/April,
They are expecting stock on hand to ship on or about APRIL 1st.
Late for this season, but plenty of time to get installed and working for next season.

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
They are expecting stock on hand to ship on or about APRIL 1st.
Late for this season, but plenty of time to get installed and working for next season.
I have a couple people using them on bikes, and I have been considering getting one in my x3 as was as a couple friends.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
That's interesting for sure. That is more than 5, but still more complicated and difficult than spinning or replacing a single coil spring collar perch and still less adjustment setting possibilities. I can go to any of many coil spring manufacturers and give them spring spec and get one, and stack them into dual rate than you will ever find options for, and how would you multi-rate a torsion spring? Still less, not more adjustability and spring options.

If we're going to refer to race sleds, what percentage of hillclimb racers are winning are on your preferred setup, vs. coil springs across all the brands?

Outside of racing, I guess Burandt, Adams, Kesterke, Saxton, and at least 50% of the most progressive backcountry mountain riders who useFloats don't know what they're doing? Granted that's a lot of Poo riders but they're still kick a$$ on floats.

I was ONLY referring to replacing the REAR TORSION SPRINGS with FLOATS, NOT saying there's anything wrong with KYBs anywhere on the sled. Love the KYB on my shredder and only replaced the fronts because I broke one and it's not fast or east to repair or replace those particular shocks and keep riding this season. I don't expect to want to replace the 40's ao my '24, and have no problem and only praise for properly set up KYBs so that's never been a criticism from me.

If squeezing the maximum out of torsion spring options is what works for you and you prefer, that's great. Some guys still like carbs but that doesn't mean that's what OEMs need to be manufacturing anymore.

I am just saying the status quo for other brands' mountain sleds and most riders regardless of brand, has moved on and many of us choose to delete torsion springs in favor of retrofitting air or coils in their stead and have for about a decade. The benefits are there.

Here we go.

That’s because of the stigma that you started this conversation with.
You can only adjust a coil over or a air shock so much before you loose ride height that’s a fact.
Between backcountry riding and a 30km whooped out trail, I much prefer a properly revalved torsion spring suspension tuned to my weight over a big name brand that is bought over the counter.
Torsion springs ride better, period.

Here we go.

That’s because of the stigma that you started this conversation with.
You can only adjust a coil over or a air shock so much before you loose ride height that’s a fact.
Between backcountry riding and a 30km whooped out trail, I much prefer a properly revalved torsion spring suspension tuned to my weight over a big name brand that is bought over the counter.
Torsion springs ride better, period.
I ride with some Poo guys that talk crap about how much torsion springs suck. On the cat track ride out my Doo will walk all over them. On the steep my sled will go wherever they go. If coil-overs were better then Doo would use them. They are the largest snowmobile Mfg by sales and development $$. Only reason others use them is to make the overall cost of the sled cheaper to build, and to make it look lighter. Fact is, by the time you add all the and bumpers to a Poo to make them not Taco the tunnel or bend rails, they are just as heavy/heavier than a Poo. The reason the "Pros" use them is they are given them to help them sell their product to ppl who like to follow the heard, no matter if they are better or worse.

hushpuff

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2016

I installed one of these last season to link up with my buddy on and his 7s. It worked, but not consistently. Had to always re-start the "group ride," enter the "group ride pin" and then it would work for a while if we were riding consistently. Any long breaks required a restart of the feature. Also, the screen is pretty small making compared to the 7s gauge. I think my unit is defective, never charged on the sled or even on the bench, it would run while the sled was running but would shutoff a few seconds after the sled did. Messed with all settings trying to fix this. Couldn't ever figure out how to get it to show my tracks despite plenty of time tinkering through settings. I also had my G4 turbo suffer from an internally shorted ECM at the start of this season, not sure if the two are related but I pulled it off anyway. If anyone is interested I'd be happy to part with it. I won't be reinstalling it on any of my machines.

Sleds R Fun

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2007
BC
I installed one of these last season to link up with my buddy on and his 7s. It worked, but not consistently. Had to always re-start the "group ride," enter the "group ride pin" and then it would work for a while if we were riding consistently. Any long breaks required a restart of the feature. Also, the screen is pretty small making compared to the 7s gauge. I think my unit is defective, never charged on the sled or even on the bench, it would run while the sled was running but would shutoff a few seconds after the sled did. Messed with all settings trying to fix this. Couldn't ever figure out how to get it to show my tracks despite plenty of time tinkering through settings. I also had my G4 turbo suffer from an internally shorted ECM at the start of this season, not sure if the two are related but I pulled it off anyway. If anyone is interested I'd be happy to part with it. I won't be reinstalling it on any of my machines.
Experiencing everything you have mentioned in our group. ( minus ECM problems)

Premium Features