• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ski-Doo: New Lineup REVEAL 2024

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
But those pages posted above got removed from ski doo's website.

How does the Polaris one track friends without a phone?

I have these radios https://baofengtech.com/product/gmrs-pro/ that use radio transmission plus GPS to send your position to others with the same radio. But I can't get my buddys to buy them and the app isn't great ( plus I have to dig my phone out to see the map every time )

Without radio technology I dunno how they would send your buddies position at any reasonable distance.
Polaris uses radio tech it acquired when it purchased trailteck

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
How is the ability to change spring rate, the ability to tune both main and Evol chamber pressures in minutes on Floats with pump, LESS adjustable than a torsion spring? All you can change on the torsion springs is preload, and there are very limited options for different actual springs. I have had my ups and downs with air shocks and understand that they may not be for everyone, but I don’t see how they offer “horrible” adjustability versus the torsion spring.

I don’t have any experience with 40s but with the 36 there is the possibility to use 34” front end with aftermarket a- arms like Zbroz or with very easy slight modification the OEM arms or shock. Where is the issue with 40s? I have a set of 34” Zbroz arms here but haven’t tried putting them on yet. Tom offers modification to his new and your favorite Floats to use 34” OEM arms in 10 minutes.

If it’s still a problem, you can just get aftermarket shocks or a Shredder and you don’t mind leaving the torsion springs.

As a several custom color Polaris snowcheck owner, I think it’s pretty safe to say that all of the color options add cost, can contribute to delivery delays, and also be extremely hard and exponentially more expensive to find replacements for in my personal experience. Few hundred on a wrap if it bothers anyone that much is less of a headache, than paying extra for it with your snowcheck, waiting, then not being able to find the right color replacement parts from the manufacturer.

Agreed this is stupid and they need to fix it for sure. I don't know whether they could have in the timeframe. Meanwhile, TKI. $115, 1 hour of easy wrenching. Done.

I’ve done floats in the past, never again, they are sensitive to temp and pressure Changes, and I was always playing with them to keep them in tune.
The torsion springs offer way more suspension adjustments, and spring rates, coupled with the clickers in the shocks, it can be taken even further with revalves. Have you ever seen a snow cross race sled without torsion springs, regardless of the brand?
The KYBs are a awesome shock when they are revalved to your riding style and weight.

The pro 40 and pro 36 have a long neck on the reservoir that will contact the a arm with the 34” a arms.

As far as Color, you mentioned cost, a wrap adds to the cost of the sled if there were options, a person could customize there purchase right from the factory, not everyone wants a wrap, but they do prefer choices. The freeride is a nice sled on paper but not nice to look at, some like the Easter egg look, some guys like pink as well, but I would not own either of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I asked Doo on Facebook whether the 2024s would be delivered on time, this is what they said:

"Winter or bust! Guaranteed delivery of spring check orders to your dealer by Dec. 21, 2023 or you get up to $750 credit towards accessories, apparel or parts."

H
Feb 7, 2018
I’ve done floats in the past, never again, they are sensitive to temp and pressure Changes, and I was always playing with them to keep them in tune.
The torsion springs offer way more suspension adjustments, and spring rates, coupled with the clickers in the shocks, it can be taken even further with revalves. Have you ever seen a snow cross race sled without torsion springs, regardless of the brand?
I have experienced the same compromises with air. I still don't understand how a ski doo torsion spring offers "way more susension adjustments" with only 5 preload settings on a rotating plastic bar spring perch vs. Float Evol or infinitely adjustable threaded coilover body preload adjustments. 5 is less than infinity.

Springs are springs, shocks are shocks, You can revalve almost any decent shock. I like the KYBs also if they are set up right but don't see what that has to do with torsion springs vs. coils or air.
Maybe I haven't convinced myself of their benefits enough to get fast at it but changing an air spring or coilover springs is exponentially easier and faster for me vs. switching torsion springs
The pro 40 and pro 36 have a long neck on the reservoir that will contact the a arm with the 34” a arms.
That concern is easily addressed with the several affordable options I mentioned in my last post.

Sure, SnoCross sleds may run torsion springs. Extremely stiff springs, everywhere. I ride mountain sleds in the mountains in powder at 10k' so what snocross racers run ona race course is of little interest or relevance to what performs best for this type of terrain, snow and riding. Last I checked the Freeride and all the Sk Doo Deep Snow segment is marketed and designed more for that, NOT snocross.

Personally I'd prefer to have to control of timely delivery and affordable replacement parts availability and the minimal cost and hassle of a wrap (never had one because I care more about performance vs. color) vs. waiting for my fashionable custom color combo of un-obtainium replacement parts to arrive while my buddies rip their easter eggs. My Sunset Red Axys cost on average $200-300 per replacement panel and they were never in stock, ever. Had to sell it with damaged plastics and lose value. Black and standard colors usually in stock and $60-100 average.

Last week my buddy pulled up to show me his '23 Polaris snowcheck. He ordered it with orange spindles and rails and it arrived with raw aluminum.
I order my '21 Axys snowcheck with red spindles too, and it came with black. We both were charged the additional custom color amount, too, which is charged interest when you finance it. $660< for custom colors, at what's often 9%< now, over x amount of years... plus delays in delivery for it... worth it for a maybe and no matching replacements available?

...So that's how great all the bespoke custom colors works out nowadays. Undeniable proof that the manufacturers struggle to deliver with the complications of custom colors and the consumer may take the brunt of it.

Last edited:
C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I have experienced the same compromises with air. I still don't understand how a ski doo torsion spring offers "way more susension adjustments" with only 5 preload settings on a rotating plastic bar spring perch vs. Float Evol or infinitely adjustable threaded coilover body preload adjustments. 5 is less than infinity.

Springs are springs, shocks are shocks, You can revalve almost any decent shock. I like the KYBs also if they are set up right but don't see what that has to do with torsion springs vs. coils or air.
Maybe I haven't convinced myself of their benefits enough to get fast at it but changing an air spring or coilover springs is exponentially easier and faster for me vs. switching torsion springs

That concern is easily addressed with the several affordable options I mentioned in my last post.

Sure, SnoCross sleds may run torsion springs. Extremely stiff springs, everywhere. I ride mountain sleds in the mountains in powder at 10k' so what snocross racers run ona race course is of little interest or relevance to what performs best for this type of terrain, snow and riding. Last I checked the Freeride and all the Sk Doo Deep Snow segment is marketed and designed more for that, NOT snocross.

Personally I'd prefer to have to control of timely delivery and affordable replacement parts availability and the minimal cost and hassle of a wrap (never had one because I care more about performance vs. color) vs. waiting for my fashionable custom color combo of un-obtainium reklacement parts to arrive while my buddies rip their easter eggs early season. My Sunset Red Axys cost on average $200-300 per replacement panel and they were never in stock, ever. Had to sell it with damaged plastics and lose value. Black and standard colors usually in stock and $60-100 average.

You dont have 5, you have more than that, you do NOT have to run the same torsion spring cam numbers, nor do you have to run the same tension springs.
I run a staggered number, on my G5, and slightly stiffer torsion springs. One sled I ran a staggered number and two different tension torsion springs. Without loosing ride height, with a large jerry can and my tunnel bag.

Most guys wright off the factory shocks in favour of the big name aftermarket, I can put a monster sticker on my sled, it doesn’t make it better.
They guy that tunes my shocks, tunes the factory Doo race sleds, snocross and hillclimb sleds.

To each his own, you said archaic, I say fine wine. I like the torsion suspension in my GM as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

96-ramair

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2012
But those pages posted above got removed from ski doo's website.

How does the Polaris one track friends without a phone?

I have these radios https://baofengtech.com/product/gmrs-pro/ that use radio transmission plus GPS to send your position to others with the same radio. But I can't get my buddys to buy them and the app isn't great ( plus I have to dig my phone out to see the map every time )

Without radio technology I dunno how they would send your buddies position at any reasonable distance.
Polaris Ride Command's "Buddy Track" feature does have it's own radio. It was developed by Trail Tech in their Voyager Pro GPS system. I believe Polaris bought the company, or at the very least has licensed their tech in the 7S screen. As a result, a Trail Tech Voyager Pro and a Polaris 7S screen will see and share location information with one another. To quote Trail Tech's website, Buddy track : "uses long range radio frequencies to connect multiple riders and display each rider as an icon on the screen. The external antenna is required for buddy tracking to function properly.". Their kits have a dedicated antenna using a proprietary protocol on an unlicensed frequency for device<->device comms, as does the 7S screen from Polaris.

Polaris Ride Command's "Buddy Track" feature does have it's own radio. It was developed by Trail Tech in their Voyager Pro GPS system. I believe Polaris bought the company, or at the very least has licensed their tech in the 7S screen. As a result, a Trail Tech Voyager Pro and a Polaris 7S screen will see and share location information with one another. To quote Trail Tech's website, Buddy track : "uses long range radio frequencies to connect multiple riders and display each rider as an icon on the screen. The external antenna is required for buddy tracking to function properly.". Their kits have a dedicated antenna using a proprietary protocol on an unlicensed frequency for device<->device comms, as does the 7S screen from Polaris.
I know just enough about tech to get myself in trouble. One would think that open radio frequency would be easy enough to reverse engineer and get them to talk… can they really hold a patent for something as simple as sending GPS coordinates over radio waves?…

I know just enough about tech to get myself in trouble. One would think that open radio frequency would be easy enough to reverse engineer and get them to talk… can they really hold a patent for something as simple as sending GPS coordinates over radio waves?…
I would think maybe they are using MURS. Garmin is using it on their Tread GPS systems to track other riders without cell use.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
In the live ski doo engineers did today they have acknowledged that some customers have had chaincase issues and they are looking into the cause and possible solution once it’s identified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When did this live session happen? Was it the one that was in french?

Premium Features