• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

rmk 900 clutch exploded?????

R
Dec 4, 2009
nampa
Hey guys i was out riding yesterday, had fun pulled a few shoots. Then on the way back to the trailer, on the trail my primary clutch blew up under load. I thought, i lost my crank. but the motor kept running so i shut it down fast. Only to find my clutch inner shevb in pieces. So i guess my question is has anyone seen or had this happen and if so how did the crank hold up. Do i need to replace it? Any info would be helpfull:(:confused:

P1091084.jpg P1091083.jpg P1091082.jpg

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
HOLY CHIT!!

definately a first i have seen that happen..

what was your clutch maintenance?

was that ever balanced?

was it shimmed for proper belt?

you NEED to check your crank runout for sure..

get ahold of IndyDan on here for some inputs..there are alot of places you can get some new clutches...here is some for sale from a good frined of mine..GREAT GUY!!

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2068146#post2068146

R
Dec 4, 2009
nampa
Well i just bought the sled in nov, the clutching was set up buy Jack Struthers, so i assumed all the clutching was taken care of. My guess is a weight hung up and made the clutch run hot? not real sure. . How do i check the run out. can i do it with out pulling the motor. ???

D

dmaxd2500

Sep 29, 2009
G WYO
Wow, that looks pretty bad, but you may have gotten lucky since it didn't break the crank. But like Guido said, you need to check the crank runout. I feel your pain man, I only got 3 miles down the trail on my first ride before I lost a lower rod bearing, so at least you got to have some fun first. Good luck.

R
Dec 4, 2009
nampa
Everything seems fine, the only thing i am worried about is the snout of the crank being bent. which when i put the new clutch on will tell me. I just wanted to know if anyone has seen this happen before??

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Everything seems fine, the only thing i am worried about is the snout of the crank being bent. which when i put the new clutch on will tell me. I just wanted to know if anyone has seen this happen before??

Ryan, you need to pull whats left of the clutch off..then mount a dial indicator to the motor and measure the amount of runout(wobble) in the end of the crank snout..if its out far enough you need to repair/replace it.....

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Asksnowrider,

Where can i get a dial indicator????

any tool supply should have them..such as craftsmantools, snapon ,mac, matco..even try a fastener shop..a good one will cost several hudred dollars..a decent one should be arould a 100..you could also run it to the dealer and ask them to check it....

D

dmaxd2500

Sep 29, 2009
G WYO
X2^^^^^^ You probably won't be able to see if it's bent just by mounting a new clutch and starting it up, we're talking about thousands of an inch being out of spec. .003 runout is pushing the limits and you'll never see that with the naked eye.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Good thing you were not seriously injured!!

This is a good example why it is critical to have top notch clutch maint!

I'm very surprised that the crank is not broken (it could still break when taking off the clutch).

With that violent of failure... IMO, put in a new crank if you want to have a dependable sled... The Crank kit INCLUDES a new Primary clutch, The updated crank, a 3211115 belt, and gasket set... pretty good deal!!

Is Carls your dealer?

If so... they'll know how to check that sukka out.

Last edited:
R
Dec 4, 2009
nampa
no i bought the sled used, it didnt break clean i just pulled all the piece out. I have a friend that is a tech for moto tech i think i will have him come look at it and see what he thinks. If i have to put a new crank in it will be indydans

M
Sep 19, 2008
Green River Wyoming
I had one on my 05 900 break under load but it broke on spider end had to take die grinder and cut it off. whats the belt look like from the pics it looks like you might have spit the belt hard to tell but for sure when you get it back to running mark your primary with marker and see how far your shift out is going good luck.

R
Dec 4, 2009
nampa
I had a kevlar belt on and i think it is still good for a spare belt. there is minimal damage to the kogs on the in side of the belf but the edges are good. I am still new to the mechanical side of clutchs, most my work as been car truck related. So what do you mean shift out??

M
Sep 19, 2008
Green River Wyoming
the shift out is like gears in a truck. the belt starts at the bottom of your primary clutch and the top of the secondary. when the belt goes up in the primary it goes down in the secondary and as it does this its like grabbing gears in a transmission. this is what we call shift out and as this happens you pick up track speed. but if a clutch is set up wrong or if someone down geared it to low for your clutches, you can spit a belt out of the primary which can do alot of unpredictable things. there is alot of things you can do to prevent this like stiffer springs ,heavier weights, helix change or even gearing up. hope this helps you better to understand I could write a small book on this good luck

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Wow... Can't say I have ever seen this happen before.... and I have read a lot of threads around here:eek::eek::eek:

By the looks of it, I'm just glad nobody was hurt:eek::):beer;:beer;

R
Dec 4, 2009
nampa
hey guys just got the run out checked and turns out not so good. .005 out so now the i have to replace a primary, secondary, and a crank great:(

Premium Features