• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Riding area in/near Incline Village?

Rob.G

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 10, 2023
Mobile
Many years ago (2007?) I did one ride up around I THINK it was Incline Village. I'm not sure. Could have been Zephyr Cove. It wasn't a big area at all, but it wasn't bad either. I just don't remember where it was, what it was called, or how to even get there? Can somebody tell me please? Been racking my brain and Googling, and neither was working.

Thanks!

Rob.G

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 10, 2023
Mobile
Yeah mighta been. I know when we got up "top" we had a great view of the lake.

Rob.G

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 10, 2023
Mobile
Where's the turnoff / parking area for it? Is it the same for mountain biking or someplace else?

Rob.G

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 10, 2023
Mobile
Been there many times... was there about three(?) weeks ago. It was PACKED. It was one of my favorite areas from years past, but the tour groups are so big now that the Blue Lakes Road gets torn up. The groomer only runs a few times a day so by the end of the day the road back is AWFUL. IMO the tour groups have ruined the area.

I asked about Spooner because it's not that far, and being fairly small might be less-busy, and a better area than Mt Rose Meadows. Went to Gold Lake yesterday. I've forgotten how to get around there so we just stuck to the trails and slightly off-trail. I need to get back in shape. Ugh.

Y
Oh okay, I know what you mean. I have been going to Blue Lakes and Spooner since the 90’s. Back then it was a mad house too including the parking lot. I try not to go on the weekends.

I usually go on Fridays and I’m always the first one in the parking lot. If you drive 5 more minutes, you could park at Red Lakes.

Actually, the snowmobile tour company are the ones grooming the trails. They should groom it more being we pay for the snow park pass.

Decades ago, I saw this little black antenna sticking out of the snow. I pulled it out and it was a Nextel phone. Long story short, it belonged to Ari, the former owner of the snowmobile tour.

His wife said he was grooming the trail and he let his St. Bernard Cabo out of the groomer and it fell off. She asked me to overnight the phone and she would reimburse me plus three free tickets to the tour.

I never heard back lol.

Rob.G

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 10, 2023
Mobile
I agree.. if they're gonna operate out of there and wreck the road, they need to run that groomer from 6 AM to 6 PM, every hour.

I like Red Lakes but the two people I ride with never want to go there; they just complain about limited parking. One even said recently they saw a sign there specifically stating, "no trailers." I'm guessing the greenie cross country skieer types demanded that. I put my sled in the back of my Gladiator so parking is easy for me.

For next weekend we're considering dealing with Hope (we can only ride weekends due to work schedule)... either get there EARLY or maybe attempt Red Lake or go on up to Tragedy Springs. Thing is the only place I still remember my way around (sorta) is Hope... and I'm not skilled enough yet on a new sled to not ruin somebody else's day if I went with another group. I used to know how to ride, but now it's like being a noob all over again.

Y
Yup, you’re right about that!! They should groom it all day long.

Yeah, it’s limited parking at Red Lakes. It’s only the right side you can’t park a trailer. You can on the left side though.

Maybe I will run into you at Blue Lakes one of these days. What sled do you ride? I ride a black Lynx RE.

You should hit Tragedy Springs and Iron Mountain. They groom at Iron Mountain.

Rob.G

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 10, 2023
Mobile
I've been to Iron Mountain a few times.. so long ago that they hadn't razed the lodge yet. I even rode a few times with the guy who lived in an RV at the lodge as the security. Sadly he was killed in a motorcycle accident back around 2004 or 2005 and then vandals came in and destroyed his trailer, busted out all the windows in the lodge, etc. It was after that that they just bulldozed it.

I'm on a new red white and black '23 Khaos 165. If it's in a blue Gladiator, that's me.

BTW... we setup a new site for the local area, SierraSledders.com. Only 7 members so far but we haven't officially announced it yet.

Rob.G

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 10, 2023
Mobile
Yes. Took it down after I moved away in 2009 and it was slowing down. When I got back into the area and a friend convinced me to get another sled, ANOTHER friend suggested to start it back up, so I did. He's gonna run it; I'm mainly just going to be there as a member this time. I don't have time for that crap anymore. :)

Rob.G

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 10, 2023
Mobile
Awesome!! Glad to have made an old-new friend. I'll seeya over there.

Premium Features