• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rider Forward Pro RMK

Oct 4, 2013
Ive tried to stay out of this one but I have to say I have had many situations where have the post forward would have made my day allot nicer. And fwiw gman has been on many doos and has some valuable info but he does think he knows everything!

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
I'm not sure you should be beating up on BCIL for him opinions, they are just that opinions. He has owned a number of different sleds from different brands and seems like an experienced rider.

I will agree. The next generation pro will be more rider forward and possibly shorter in the nose. As much as the XM? Probably not, but who knows. The more rider forward the more centralized that mass is. As long as we keep vertical steering I'm good with it. There are scenarios that being more forward would help. And by forward I want to keep my feet about where they are, but bring the skis and nose towards me.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Neither of you have rode a post forward Pro, so as far as I'm concerned your both wrong. Has DS even had this on the snow?

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Neither of you have rode a post forward Pro, so as far as I'm concerned your both wrong. Has DS even had this on the snow?

Well not exactly but I do have an offset Isovibe riser on my Pro which allows movement of the entire riser fore or aft 1" as well as centered if you flip the bottom mounts. That changes the "effective" post position (unlike just rotating the bars or riser forward). The forward position made it tougher for me to get back on the rails to carve uphill on a sidehill but I'm only 175 lbs. It also put my knees right into the console panel. When I tried it 1" back of center I was turning uphill too much when sidehilling. Put her back to center and everything just works. Had a big discussion about this with Chris Burdandt and he said that the c of g of the Pro is such that you should even have your bars in alignment with the post (which is again, darn near vertical to begin with). The mod in question would put the post straight up and down. Maybe with the footwell modifications but I'm not going to carve up my sled to find out when I can hold a sidehill all day long now as is.

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - Yeah, I admit I can be a bit "opinionated" - working on that! :face-icon-small-coo

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Not sure about moving the post, on the pro, without trying it but I can see a definate benefit of getting your foot farther forward. As far as the xm, everyone keep saying you have to have the rider forward. I don't get that because they are already overbalanced on the front. They get a little divey sometimes. I like being able to just put a foot in the footwell and stuff a ski or spindle on steep downhill decents. The pro I have to hang out a little to get the same thing done.In the right snow the xm has too much weight forward and need a little farther back. I have had the xm stuff a spindle when i stopped on a sidehill. Then the track wants to wash and you are struggling to not go stuck. The xm has to be rode a little different than the pro.I guess I would definately take the extra footwell space but not sure on the handlebars. I guess everyone is shoving there xm post even further so maybe it isn't a bad thing.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Maybe it's my body type....but I couldn't be further forward on a pro without my shins/knees being on the panels.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Nice try but I come from having been on Doo's for the last 10 years (still have 2); just check in with the guys on Dootalk whether I have any knowledge of chassis design (including post position setup) or not... :face-icon-small-win

Been there, done that, which is why I believe that you're off base with your assessment of an RMK's needs from riding an XM (which I've also had seat time on). The Pro's post is fairly vertical to begin with but how would you know that making a judgement from riding an XM? Comparing apples to oranges and armchair quarterbacking. That's the reason I'm perplexed with your posts.

Have FUN!

G MAN

So, you think I'm making my judgement of a possible option based on never having ridden one? I've ridden every sled out there aside from whatever the F those stupid blue things are... and each one teaches you thing that could work on another. Riding the pro & then hopping on a proclimb you instantly know there are things they should work on to make it do what the pro does... this is a similar situation, but not as general.

Either way, your rigidity in claiming NOTHING needs to be or could be changed just shows a lack of experience though, since there are ALWAYS things that can be changed to increase a machine's capabilities. If people sat here & say "it's good enough"... we wouldn't be where we are now. Also, saying you can sidehill all day, that's not the issue. Hell, I can sidehill a king cat or edge chassis all day, the changes are only going to make a difference in more technical situations that simply sidehilling along.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
your rigidity in claiming NOTHING needs to be or could be changed just shows a lack of experience though, since there are ALWAYS things that can be changed to increase a machine's capabilities. If people sat here & say "it's good enough"... we wouldn't be where we are now. Also, saying you can sidehill all day, that's not the issue. Hell, I can sidehill a king cat or edge chassis all day, the changes are only going to make a difference in more technical situations that simply sidehilling along.

There you go putting words in my mouth. Anyone who knows me knows that your insinuation couldn't be further from the truth. The Pro needs many aftermarket upgrades, especially shocks, for it to perform to it's potential. I DO have experience with a more forward steering per my last post. And I even state "MAYBE with the footwell modifications" which sure as heck doesn't sound rigid to me! Oh, and I've sidehilled a King Cat all day once too but my shoulders hurt so much I wish I wouldn't have - lol! Your posts just make you look more and more presumptuous...

Have FUN,

G MAN

Last edited:
L
Jan 29, 2010
I would be interested in the post only, I am 6,3 with a bit of reach, a larger cockpit is a huge benefit to guys like me.

E

everytime5.9

Jan 23, 2009
IDAHO
VERY VERY...

ztX3mMi.png

H

Hrt Offroad

Nov 3, 2008
Okotoks, Alberta Canada
I just put both the footwell forward kit and post forward kit on my 2014 PRO!! I LOVE it, and IMO it made an awesome chassis even better. Scott needs to include some instructions or answer emails if he wants to sell more of these. I was installing blindly, and I'm sure I could have shaved some serious time had there been some detailed instructions or pictures for that matter. Also, I am running the OFT pillow blocks on my post (which have to be run in the same configuration as stock), where as is would appear that DS wants you to flip the factory blocks upside down. So...I had to modify all of the DS bracketry so that I could run them in the proper configuration so that i wouldn't lose my oil lite bushings. I also need to make a plate so that my post steering stops have something to butt up against, as you solely have to rely on your spindles hitting the arms for steering stops. However, the post still wants to keep rotating!!

All around GREAT mod, but the overall kit needs some refinement and instructions. I'd hate to see a not very mechanically inclined person try and figure it all out!!

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
How did you order? I don't even see it on his website. Did the X3 this year and unless polaris comes out with a new engine, I'd like to do this mod over the summer.

H

Hrt Offroad

Nov 3, 2008
Okotoks, Alberta Canada
How did you order? I don't even see it on his website. Did the X3 this year and unless polaris comes out with a new engine, I'd like to do this mod over the summer.

It isn't on the website due to the beating he took in this thread, but it is an awesome mod!! A good one to do over the summer rather than mid season :D

Another bonus about it is that it gets rid of the ankle breaking toe hoops!!

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
It isn't on the website due to the beating he took in this thread, but it is an awesome mod!! A good one to do over the summer rather than mid season :D

Another bonus about it is that it gets rid of the ankle breaking toe hoops!!

Beating? Are you kidding? Just read through it again and all I see is a discussion diamond s didn't want to participate in. I for one was interested at the time and again I was even more interested when the Rocky Young build was published but with zero info from diamond s I didn't even think it was possible without fabricating it myself.

H

Hrt Offroad

Nov 3, 2008
Okotoks, Alberta Canada
Beating? Are you kidding? Just read through it again and all I see is a discussion diamond s didn't want to participate in. I for one was interested at the time and again I was even more interested when the Rocky Young build was published but with zero info from diamond s I didn't even think it was possible without fabricating it myself.

Beating may have been a poor choice of words, and yes, there was a lack of participation on Titanium 375's part. I just re-read again too, and there is some interest, but there's also some negative too. It interested me, so I picked up the phone and called him. It didn't sound like he received any calls for them, so he set it aside after making a few kits, but they are available if you want one.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Beating may have been a poor choice of words, and yes, there was a lack of participation on Titanium 375's part. I just re-read again too, and there is some interest, but there's also some negative too. It interested me, so I picked up the phone and called him. It didn't sound like he received any calls for them, so he set it aside after making a few kits, but they are available if you want one.

If you don't mind, could you take some pics with the hood off and a different angle of the footwell mod?

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
the farther you can get your body over the center of the mass the more you can control the bike in the air (watch how far dirt bikers are forward when they whip)

you can control the bike if your in front of the mass in the air, the mass controls you from behind it!

-Aksnopro

M

miko700

Dec 16, 2009
Washington cascade concrete
06 polaris

well im sure a few of us owned an 06 or thereabouts with the "sliding" bars......yes they eventually all broke .......but hey i remember a few times movin the bars up and diggin it! It certainly gave the sled a "different' feel

M
Nov 10, 2015
Sweden
I know this is an old thread but anyway...

I just moved my 144 rmk post 2,75 inches forward and it is the best mod EVER for me,
I would do the same with the new Axys in a heartbeat!

I will need to hack up the hood a bit, and i will opt for a bit nicer conversion later then the dirt cheap -proof of concept (fully functional though and less then 20 bucks!!!)

The sled feels so much more snappy and agile!

Im not saying its for everyone, snappy can bite you back, but for my ridestyle its golden!

(fairly agressive tree riding, lots of WOT)

Premium Features