• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rider Forward Pro RMK

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
For me, on steep downhill side slides, and on a steep sidehill where I'm starting to wash & trying to drop the skis a bit.

Also, once you get used to riding more forward, you tend to find yourself there more often... just something I've noticed after changing M's that way, and riding the XM with a short riser, being closer to the front of the sled.

M
Nov 28, 2007
I would entertain the idea o moving the post forward, but with the reputation of the strength of the pro tunnel, I would be scarred to remove any support of the tunnel/running board

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
For me, on steep downhill side slides, and on a steep sidehill where I'm starting to wash & trying to drop the skis a bit.

Agreed...

With the XM Being wider with a greater tendency to panel and wash out I feel rider forward is needed much more.

With the pro being narrower and already holding sidehills better I don't think its needed as much but if the room forward was available maybe it would take that chassis to a whole new level:face-icon-small-sho

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Agreed...

With the XM Being wider with a greater tendency to panel and wash out I feel rider forward is needed much more.

With the pro being narrower and already holding sidehills better I don't think its needed as much but if the room forward was available maybe it would take that chassis to a whole new level:face-icon-small-sho

When I rode the XM it was WAY more front heavy than the Pro and you really needed to get forward into the footwells to get to the balance point for sidehilling. I'm fairly certain the motor placement is to blame and not panning out. That's also why I don't really see a need for rider forward with the Pro as it is already balanced very well. It would be nice to try it though and see for myself.

Have FUN!

G MAN

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I feel too forward on an XM. Like I'm riding on the turning point (think cab over truck!). I'm not saying this can't make the Pro better but I wouldn't do this w/o riding one first. If there was one thing I wouldn't change on my Pro it would be the way it handles. More power, reliability, suspension and bling would come first!

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
How would this influence climbing control? I often find the pro a bit "wild" when climbing, not much pressure on the skiis and just seems to tip to either side.

Have other isues stealing my money this summer but will remember to look for feedback come winter. Also curious on price?

Thanks

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca

Also, once you get used to riding more forward, you tend to find yourself there more often... just something I've noticed after changing M's that way, and riding the XM with a short riser, being closer to the front of the sled.

this move was alot easier on my 36" stance on the pro. never paneled out, but had way more control on the steep descents, could pick my way through tight trees where stock pros had much tougher time. only in certain conditions though.

Just stupid where we try and take sleds these days... you mean you wanna explore down THAT canyon???? :face-icon-small-con hahaha

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
I'm having a hard time on steep uphill sidehills. At that point where you are just a millimeter away from powering out, the sled wants to grab and turn straight uphill which always ends badly. In those cases I've felt like if I were farther forward I could keep the sled from wanting to make that sharp turn uphill and get the sled pointed in a friendlier direction.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
In what situation do you feel that being able to be more forward on the Pro is beneficial?

hill climbing...

being more forward helps when you are going realy fast up a hill. helps you keep minimal ski lift (not usually a problem unless you have a turbo)

it is also very beneficial in weight transfer to the skid. Works great with an ez-ryde

Last edited:
R
Sep 8, 2013
Interior Alaska
well...we all know the xm gets its handling from the bendy track and the wobbly skid...does the xp handle better than a pro? no...more weight over the skis which are usually around 38 inches wide for mountain sleds, versus more weight on the 15 inch wide track...if you had a bike with 1 wheel 10 inches wide and the other wheel 5 inches wide...would the bike tip easier if the weight was on the 10 inch wheel? no...less weight on skis, make for better mountain sleds

CROW

Lifetime Membership
Jul 25, 2002
Michigan
Just curious if the Pro is more rider forward than the IQ? I seem to remember an overlay of the Pro and the IQ , I wanna say they were really close.

R
Sep 8, 2013
Interior Alaska
Just curious if the Pro is more rider forward than the IQ? I seem to remember an overlay of the Pro and the IQ , I wanna say they were really close.

depends...most people get confused with rider forward and how high you sit on the seat...but a measurement from the spindles to the handle bars or foot wells would mostly determine how riderforward these 2 sleds are

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
I'm interested in a handle bar reposition and more forward on the footwells. went to diamond s website and saw nothing there. Anything happening with kit? I want to mod something this year and might as well do this!

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR

What the heck does your experience on an XM have ANYTHING to do with a Pro RMK??? The XM ABSOLUTELY NEEDS the forward position for balance, the PRO does NOT!

Have FUN!

G MAN

Last edited:
P
Nov 26, 2007
washington
In what situation do you feel that being able to be more forward on the Pro is beneficial?[/QUOTE

i tried to move handle bars forward last year and only benefits i had when i was sidehilling and hill climbing but with more forward i had more nose weight and didn't like , sled wasnt flickable any more. I would recommend to move handle bars first without cutting frame and then decide after couple rides in different snow conditions and places (tight turns, trail riding, playing in trees hill climbs ):face-icon-small-ton

C

clamlake600

Feb 2, 2010
The PRO is balanced perfect. How about working on an electric trim system for the rear suspension?...(like on a personal watercraft, switch on the bars, intergrated into the gauge) similar to what Skinz has done with a shock and cable one. You could do both front and rear arms....now think about the possiblities.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
What the heck does your experience on an XM have ANYTHING to do with a Pro RMK??? The XM ABSOLUTELY NEEDS the forward position for balance, the PRO does NOT!

Have FUN!

G MAN

So you started riding on a pro, and never rode anything else huh? Good for you bud. Some of us are able to figure out the attributes that we like about one sled or another, and find a way to implement that particular need/ want on another sled. That fact that you can't understand why someone would want to make changes to your current deity of choice (the pro) just shows a limited skillset, and IMO a limited base of experience.

If all you had ever ridden was an edge chassis for example... you don't have ANY idea what you're missing, BUT if you expand beyond that, you see what can be improved. Quite simply that's EXACTLY why I related experience from other sleds to this one. The pro is a great machine, but everything can be improved.

I'll go ahead RIGHT NOW and put $100 down that on the next chassis Polaris makes, the post WILL be further forward. You don't need it, you don't know you want it, but If you broadened your horizons a bit you'd find that there are situations where it would help.

Feel free to give this post some red as well... consider me broken-hearted in advance.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
So you started riding on a pro, and never rode anything else huh? Good for you bud. Some of us are able to figure out the attributes that we like about one sled or another, and find a way to implement that particular need/ want on another sled. That fact that you can't understand why someone would want to make changes to your current deity of choice (the pro) just shows a limited skillset, and IMO a limited base of experience.

If all you had ever ridden was an edge chassis for example... you don't have ANY idea what you're missing, BUT if you expand beyond that, you see what can be improved. Quite simply that's EXACTLY why I related experience from other sleds to this one. The pro is a great machine, but everything can be improved.

I'll go ahead RIGHT NOW and put $100 down that on the next chassis Polaris makes, the post WILL be further forward. You don't need it, you don't know you want it, but If you broadened your horizons a bit you'd find that there are situations where it would help.

Feel free to give this post some red as well... consider me broken-hearted in advance.

Nice try but I come from having been on Doo's for the last 10 years (still have 2); just check in with the guys on Dootalk whether I have any knowledge of chassis design (including post position setup) or not... :face-icon-small-win

Been there, done that, which is why I believe that you're off base with your assessment of an RMK's needs from riding an XM (which I've also had seat time on). The Pro's post is fairly vertical to begin with but how would you know that making a judgement from riding an XM? Comparing apples to oranges and armchair quarterbacking. That's the reason I'm perplexed with your posts.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Last edited:
Premium Features