• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My ride on the 2moto bikes

Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)
B
Apr 17, 2008
Hello all. I'm new to this forum.... I've been riding my snow bike for the last 2 months and seen posts on 2moto.com's sight. Is this were everyone with 2moto's kits are posting? My friend and I was able to sign up for a hill climb at Beaver Mt. in Utah. We went against all the snowhawks. I'm riding a YZF450 WR, and Ken is on a KTM 525. We have video of the hill climbs, they sent us up the same course as everyone else including all snowmobile classes. To say the least people were surprised how fast and in control we were able to climb, (shifting gears and all)

Dec 4, 2007
pa
awesome

that is great to hear that more and more one ski machines are showing up at events, im proud of you all, keep up the great work and dont be afraid to show people what these machines can do!
how did you fair out against the hawks and sleds, i heard there were times recorded. did you feel you could of been faster with another year under your belt? remember, sleds been around for 50 yrs and hawks been arouns for 7, so they have more riding time, i am sure by next year you will be faster!!
please put your vid on youtube and post away!!!

thanks
Mike.

B
Apr 17, 2008
we were 10 sec. behind the fastest snowhawk and he was on a 800. I went up a week later and ran the same course, only this time I had just installed a new FMF titanium silencer. I pulled the hill 1 gear higher, more lug I suppose.

But yes I think once I get a year under me and try a few other performance things to the bike.

The course was ideal for a hawk because it was smooth and fast and the 800 rotax vs a 450 and 525.

But it was all fun and I'm glad they put together a class just for the single ski's were they timed and announced us and everything. The crowd sure enjoyed it.

W
Jan 2, 2008
the guys over on thumpertalk are telling me the new KTM 530 wouldn't last long riding on the highway

I ride 60 miles 1/way to work on a rural 2lane highway 55mph speed limit, what bike would handle that plus be awesome for a 2moto kit?

I've been wanting a dual purpose bike for quite ahwile but unwilling to compromise to much offroad ability

my last bike was a KTM 380 2smoke that ripped hard in the woods, but it didn't do highway so I sold it.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Northern Utah
results

Here's the results from the Beaver Hillclimb

It was pretty cool to see all the single ski's to hit the hill.

The guy's that took 2nd, 8th and 9th place don't even own a hawk, they just got on and rode it for the hillclimb.

I'll post a couple pics.

results.JPG h1.jpg h2.jpg h3.jpg h4.jpg h5.jpg

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Better for off road

I think its more of an issue with speed and maint. If you plan on going top speed, back and forth 60 miles each way. yes it will come apart. But if your moderate at 55 or 70 it should be fine. mine tops out at about 110mph Im on my second plated 525 with no issues.lots of road riding. Keep the oil fresh.They are great bikes and make a killer snow conversion. The choices are few for a dirt based dual sport bikes, the 530exc is by far the best available.

the guys over on thumpertalk are telling me the new KTM 530 wouldn't last long riding on the highway

I ride 60 miles 1/way to work on a rural 2lane highway 55mph speed limit, what bike would handle that plus be awesome for a 2moto kit?

I've been wanting a dual purpose bike for quite ahwile but unwilling to compromise to much offroad ability

my last bike was a KTM 380 2smoke that ripped hard in the woods, but it didn't do highway so I sold it.

P
Jan 11, 2008
Ellensburg WA

See if you can find a Husaberg FE550 or 650. In fact, the boys at 2Moto have a demo FE650 you could probably make a nice package deal on with the 2moto kit. Get them to plate it and you're golden! The 650 would be better for your commute since you could run it at less RPM's, yet handling and weight are going to be very similar to the 530. People are surprised just how well the big FE's handle.

Does the new 530 have a kicker? The 2Moto demo 505 only had e-start, and the battery died out in the woods. That's a showstopper as far as a sale for me. :mad:

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Turn the idle up,

Buy the EFI RMZ, Sherco, or wait till Kawasaki offers it up then they will stay running upside down like the old Polaris's and Artic Cats!

Harder to stall on the Explorer when you can putt your feet down and touch.

Like it or not kick starts are on the outz. :D

S
Dec 5, 2007
Boise ID
I'm a pretty hard core moto-x guy in the summer and test the limits boondocking (and a little high marking) on a well set up 800 REV in the winter. I test rode the 2moto bikes out at cat creek this year.

1-2 hours on the bike and I was able to crank pretty good. The thing will hang on a crazy side hill w/o issue. Tons of fun rippin in the tight tree and figuring out how to jump it if fun and the penalty for crashing is pretty low 'cause its snow...

The 2moto guys (think Brett and Gerald) were totally cool guys and lots of fun to ride with and talk to. Definately rep the company well.

So.... I bought a kit for my 04 WR450F. The bike is used for a few races (desert and ISDE) each year but mostly trail riding and taking the kids out. Plenty fast and has mods for power and suspension... my moto: Stock sux!

I rode it in deep powder near McCall and found the limit with the Gen I ski. I think the Gen II ski I tried on the demo would have made a big difference. The powder was about 2+ feet deep and I was up to the front fender deep most of the time. It kept going but if I hit any hills I had to track poach to build speed again. Tons of fun to carve around on!

Last week I hooked up with some crazy mod sled guys out of Cascade and one of my normal riding partners and we went from Anderson (cascade res) all the way to the radar dome... Some challenging riding on a sled for some and a ton of fun on the bike. Being the only bike and not having much experience, things started out a bit slow but by the end of the day I was rippin the trees at speed, sidehilled out of a chute only 2 mod guys could climb and was crankin along as the sled were really working to side hill some of the ridges. I think the bike suprised everyone in our group, including me.

Some issues that I have to figure out (could shorten my learning curve if I can get with other 2moto guys I'm sure): Lots of snow build up on the engine/carb area adds weight and may freeze the carbs on really cold days. Have a Gen I and II for different conditions. I heard the Gen II steers slower but with only a 450, I think floatation would help. You need a big tank to hang with sleds all day. My partner carry a can and I topped off with a gallon + about mid day. They have a kit that lets you mount a can on the track arm and that could be a good thing. Also, you will likely need a bigger backpack since you don't have a tunnel to carry stuff... and warm gloves since there aren't hand warmers.

All in all, I'm hanging on to the sleds for now but plan on doing more time on the bike next year (put the wheels back on for the first dirt ride today... great technical ride!) and hope to get together with more bikes.

Really like the kit, easy to install. Kinda spendy but if you have a bike and want to spend some time on the snow without spending the money on a sled... might be a good fit for you too.

Hauler

painterdrew

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oregon
Some issues that I have to figure out (could shorten my learning curve if I can get with other 2moto guys I'm sure): Lots of snow build up on the engine/carb area adds weight and may freeze the carbs on really cold days.
Put some screening in over the opening in the sub frame or just make it a habbit of cleaning the snow out whenever you stop

Have a Gen I and II for different conditions. I heard the Gen II steers slower but with only a 450, I think floatation would help. You need a big tank to hang with sleds all day. My partner carry a can and I topped off with a gallon + about mid day. They have a kit that lets you mount a can on the track arm and that could be a good thing.

Get a craiger kit for it, a clark tank or both.

Also, you will likely need a bigger backpack since you don't have a tunnel to carry stuff... and warm gloves since there aren't hand warmers.

you can get hand warmers for your bike for about $30.00. They wont cook your hands but with those and hand gards you should be able to ride with thin gloves

All in all, I'm hanging on to the sleds for now but plan on doing more time on the bike next year (put the wheels back on for the first dirt ride today... great technical ride!) and hope to get together with more bikes.

Still too much snow. Im leaving mine on for a while.:D

Really like the kit, easy to install. Kinda spendy but if you have a bike and want to spend some time on the snow without spending the money on a sled... might be a good fit for you too.

Hauler[/QUOTE]

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Lots of snow left

A few of us are heading up monday, possibly before.
Im lucky enough to have a few extra bikes to ride, and have left my kit on.
Its going to still be good for a bit longer. An advantage to the bike conv is that the cooling system has radiators. you ride the muck with little worry of boiling over.
Has anyone here tried a diff ski other than what is offered by 2moto?
I also have the thin ski. I did prefer the wider ski that the demo bike had on it. If that makes it turn slower cant you readjust the trail for quicker turning? I thought the demo bikes handled great. Although Ill get more use this year, I cant wait for next season. Hopefully we will see lots more conversion riders out there.
I have grown a bit tired of answering Qs like what the hell is that? Will it work in powder? I tell them its for asphalt drag racing!
I even got pulled over by a cop just wanting to take a look.. I couldn't believe it!

painterdrew

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oregon
I keep a wide ski and a narrow ski in the trailer for each bike. Decide when you get there depending on the snow.

S
Dec 5, 2007
Boise ID
Thanks for the ideas about the "fixes"

and Wow you guys have extra bikes and skiis and ect... I gotta get another job. Could really get into a big 500 something with turbo bike as my primary snow option.

Ya, it gets alot of attention and questions. I took to a fun ride and the bigger the crowd, the more questions. I didn't mind. Figured they were as curious as I was before I had a chance to ride/buy it. :)

I was thinking maybe the 4m could make a "single ski" or something that would let the 2moto folks find a common area to set up riding and info like the rest of the site... moderators? Whadda think?

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Tammy did it.

Kept inquiring with the moderators regarding the Snow Hawk, they started it Jan. 10 2007, look how big it is now.

Maybe just rename the Hawk catergory since we also have the Explorer bike kits.

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
A guy just cant get by with one bike

Variety is the spice of life. As we see more of the 2moto or potential other 1ski bikes, renaming the hawk forum seem appropriate. Hopefully everyone that actually has these kits work together , and dont try to get into a mine is better than your attitude. Time and riding together will prove that. I see a real need for consumers, dealers and manufactures to share some tips on set up, tunning, rides, etc.
Ive realized that efi is most likely the way to go, but theres no way Im riding a 450 zuki...haha arnt those made from recycled Japanese beer cans??
Maybe i should take my own advise..I just couldnt resist...Anyone want to ride this weekend?? SHA?

Premium Features