• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lets talk ethanol fuel - for real

WileyCoyote

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
I know this sounds crazy, but is there any way to petition the government to not put ethanol in the Super-Unleaded across the country. Let them keep adding it to the mid-grade & regular unleaded. It's pain in the azz to fuel up these days, I go to only 1 place in town with 5 gal jugs and pay about 50 cents/gal more for 91 octane non-ethanol than at pumps around town. Not to mention the business I could give local places if I didn't bring my own fuel with me

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
So, is ethanol only available in the USA? Sounds like Canada & Alaska don't have it? That makes it appear that the midwest (USA) corn growers' lobbyists are the ones pushing ethanol mandates. If it wasn't for government subsidies, ethanol would be 10-15 cents more than non-ethanol gasoline. If one does'nt believe that ethanol has detrimental effects on engines, you need only to walk into any auto parts store to see an entire wall of products that counter the ill-effects of ethanol. As the earlier posting of a Stihl photo shows, most manufacturers of small engines recommend avoiding the use of ethanol.

Ding, Ding, Ding! We have a winner! Ethanol is heavily subsidized and is forced upon the consumer by the government - and the corn growers lobby is a huge part of that! I keep tabs on a couple ag websites and any attempt to modify ethanol legislation creates an immediate hue and cry from the ag guys.

p.s. I have nothing against ag guys. Every business owner in the world wants to try to make sure they have a market for their product. Nothing wrong with that - we all do it.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Ethanol in the fuel is one of the big reasons on the Polaris sleds that the injectors no longer introduce fuel into the crank case... even the 600's have been switched over. Ethanol can hold water... water corrodes steel parts. Injecting the fuel just before it is introduced into the cylinder is how the DC-CFi2 systems work.

Ethanol fuel use in a 4 stroke and Ethanol use in a 2 stroke engine are two different subjects.

For the climates we run in and the systems on a sled... ethanol in the fuel... in any % is a detriment to performance and longevity of the engine and related systems on our sleds.

There is a reason why Polairs, in bold print, on a decal located next to the gas cap NON ethanol fuel. It works better and the engine lasts longer. Yes...They do have the option to run up to 10% max ethanol in sled with a simple resistor or MFD change....but less than ideal.

Ethanol does have a higher octane rating... which is good IF you have detonation issues AND you have no water in the gas...BUT...It lowers the power output of the engine as designed.

Sure, there may be some way to completely alter the engine and control system in a 2 stroke snowmobile engine to make more power on ethanol blended fuels...but I sincerely doubt it.

Ethanol is in our gasoline for corporate and political reasons... not emissions nor energy independence... Though farmers and corporate interests (like the Australian source quoted) are all for it. Monsanto and other corporations found a way to tap into our biggest addiction... gas... they were able to get legislators to require that the majority of our nations gas contains at least 10% of THEIR product... crafty.

The recent decrease in percentage of US imports for oil is NOT because of ethanol...it is because of increased domestic production.

When looking at the "Pro and Con" arguments... vet the source and what they stand to profit from it.

attachment.php

Last edited:
L
Feb 13, 2010
nl, canada
Ethanol in the fuel is one of the big reasons on the Polaris sleds that the injectors no longer introduce fuel into the crank case... even the 600's have been switched over. Ethanol can hold water... water corrodes steel parts. Injecting the fuel just before it is introduced into the cylinder is how the DC-CFi2 systems work.

Ethanol fuel use in a 4 stroke and Ethanol use in a 2 stroke engine are two different subjects.

For the climates we run in and the systems on a sled... ethanol in the fuel... in any % is a detriment to performance and longevity of the engine and related systems on our sleds.

There is a reason why Polairs, in bold print, on a decal located next to the gas cap NON ethanol fuel. It works better and the engine lasts longer. Yes...They do have the option to run up to 10% max ethanol in sled with a simple resistor or MFD change....but less than ideal.

Ethanol does have a higher octane rating... which is good IF you have detonation issues AND you have no water in the gas...BUT...It lowers the power output of the engine as designed.

Sure, there may be some way to completely alter the engine and control system in a 2 stroke snowmobile engine to make more power on ethanol blended fuels...but I sincerely doubt it.

Ethanol is in our gasoline for corporate and political reasons... not emissions nor energy independence... Though farmers and corporate interests (like the Australian source quoted) are all for it. Monsanto and other corporations found a way to tap into our biggest addiction... gas... they were able to get legislators to require that the majority of our nations gas contains at least 10% of THEIR product... crafty.

The recent decrease in percentage of US imports for oil is NOT because of ethanol...it is because of increased domestic production.

When looking at the "Pro and Con" arguments... vet the source and what they stand to profit from it.

this is what I meant In my previous post, we don't have ethanol fuel and very few engine issues according to multiple Polaris techs I know, just saying....

Premium Features