• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Silber Turbo Axys Lessons Learned

P
May 2, 2008
Breckenridge, Co.
Ok! This one here must be the bov, and the OTHER one is the wastegate.....

So cut 1 coil off of the spring inside this cap?
9aec9bf78e9fdff77db23b5c4013d881.jpg

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
Correct.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Just an FYI.

If you have some odd low rpm issues check your EV guillotines.

3F95BC00-F366-4D6D-8063-7A345A35F750.jpeg

Side tab broke off and smacked the piston, then tore up the hot side of the turbo on its way out. ?

LongHorn XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
Just an FYI.

If you have some odd low rpm issues check your EV guillotines.

View attachment 371190

Side tab broke off and smacked the piston, then tore up the hot side of the turbo on its way out. ?
What low end problems did you have? I have a 2016, with a low end hesitation. Been fighting for years. It’s not clutching, reeds, or anything like that. It hesitates before the clutching even engages. I contacted Silber last year hoping for an ECU update, he wouldn’t do it. I thought there was a better mapping out the since they kit was installed. It’s almost like it leans out. It’s very prominent right after I sit for a bit then go again. I have to feather the throttle. TPS has been reset as well. Any insight would be great. Thanks

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
What low end problems did you have? I have a 2016, with a low end hesitation. Been fighting for years. It’s not clutching, reeds, or anything like that. It hesitates before the clutching even engages. I contacted Silber last year hoping for an ECU update, he wouldn’t do it. I thought there was a better mapping out the since they kit was installed. It’s almost like it leans out. It’s very prominent right after I sit for a bit then go again. I have to feather the throttle. TPS has been reset as well. Any insight would be great. Thanks
I had “low rpm” as in fading peak rpm under boost.

the tab broke and then finally came out and bashed up things.

yours sounds like my brothers 2018 Axys rmk 800 with 2018 SC silber kit He had that stumble quite often. (Almost dies as you start to apply throttle) then you feather it and rip.

my SC 2016 silber kit on SC 2016 sled always burned more gas than his sled (like 15% more) but I never had the stumble.

personally we never found a way to cure it and just ride around it / avoid the zero throttle situations.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
My 2016 had the same issues and got annoyed with feathering the throttle. I ended up adjusting the TPS & fine tuning it to preform correctly.
It took me 4 times to actually finally find the sweet spot my sled likes. As a person should know, minuscule changes have different results in the swing of the TPS
I took the sled out to our riding area and back to the shop the 4 times, as I wanted perfection in the area I was riding, and not just ripping around the neighborhood. so yeah it took some time and patience.

4-1/2 years strong running now and zero issues. I find that not all take the same readings so there is not a magic number.
I don't mind sharing mine if that may give a person a base to get to, and tweak from there.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I probably sound like an idiot, but has anyone put a post out on how to adjust the TPS?

For 800.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
soooo has any one tried cutting the spring .... if so what did ya think . and how often did you clean those valves sheetmetalfa ? i have a little over 2000 (flawless)miles on mine over 1800 boosted have never popped the EVs and am doing the pre-season maintenance now and am wondering if i should bother with it or just keep pretending like polaris is right and those thangs dont need cleaned :D yours dont look bad at all for 1500.... minus the missing chunk missing

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011

Good link that explains how bov actually works. Makes sense to me now.

Basically when you let off the throttle, the compressor wheel in the turbo is still spinning full speed, but there is nowhere for that air to go bc throttle plates are closed. So the BOV pops open, and allows the compressor to "circulate" that air within the turbo, instead of trying to force it down the intake.

Then when you get back on the throttle, the bov slams shut (bc of the vacuum hose signal from the intake boot) immediately and sends the air down the intake instead of circulating it.

I can easily see how this can keep your turbo spooled up better, better throttle response, and longer turbo life.

To get it apart, the key is to tweak it sideways, in the direction of the split in that little ball joint. If u pull straight it's just about impossible to pop off. But by tweaking it instead of pulling, it popped right off.
8c68ebb4b1e321200417e6cf648bb5e6.jpg

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
soooo has any one tried cutting the spring .... if so what did ya think . and how often did you clean those valves sheetmetalfa ? i have a little over 2000 (flawless)miles on mine over 1800 boosted have never popped the EVs and am doing the pre-season maintenance now and am wondering if i should bother with it or just keep pretending like polaris is right and those thangs dont need cleaned :D yours dont look bad at all for 1500.... minus the missing chunk missing
I had not touched the valves from new.
I would replace those pieces that broke every 1000 miles on a boosted axys 800……..

Seen 3 other sleds do the same thing…….

FYI if you don’t quote me I don’t get a notification and see your question ?

kmg

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2012
Spray some lube in the part shown in black in the pick. Yours will be white. Same thing though. Pull the part shown in white from the black. It takes a bit of force, but it will go. Cut the spring where i have it marked in blue. Then you will want to heat the spring on the end and get the end as flat as you can so it sits as level as possible in the assembly. Put it all back together. Put a hose on the end and suck with your mouth. If the valve opens with about the force of drinking a thick milkshake with a srraw then you're probably good. If not, you need to cut a bit more off the spring. I used a vac pump and made it open right about 7in hg.

Go test ride. You should only hear a psshhh sound. No flutter/ surge. That's what you want. Ride a bd turbo. This is how they operate which is correct. You will notice silber is the only one that has the surging. I don't know why they don't address this in house. Same reason they don't address the clutching maybe? ?
So I cut a coil and a ¼ off. Well a revolution and a quarter as I would consider a coil 1 revolution of the helix and the spring is flat for a while before helix starts...

Tried your suck on it to open it deal... No luck... Maybe I'll have the girlfriend give it a go??

In all seriousness you mention cutting a coil out in another post and I guess as I explained maybe there's different ways to interpret what 1 coil is.

Thanks

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
So I cut a coil and a ¼ off. Well a revolution and a quarter as I would consider a coil 1 revolution of the helix and the spring is flat for a while before helix starts...

Tried your suck on it to open it deal... No luck... Maybe I'll have the girlfriend give it a go??

In all seriousness you mention cutting a coil out in another post and I guess as I explained maybe there's different ways to interpret what 1 coil is.

Thanks
I did same thing. Ended up cutting a little more, and when I put it back together and sucked on the tube I could hear it pop right open. Here's a pic of my scraps.20220114_151741.jpg

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Technically 2.25 coils. If you were too cut it too short, you can always stretch the spring. It's not actually super scientific, as boost pressure helps hold the valve closed when on the throttle.

kmg

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2012
Gotcha! Yup my scrap looks like your bigger piece, maybe I'll go a tad more.

You ride yours yet?

Premium Features