• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How to check for codes when sled won't start?

C

coug66

Oct 31, 2010
NW near Greenwater
Took sled out yesterday and it just stopped and wouldn't restart.

How do you read codes when a sled won't start? Can you add a power 12V jumper to an accessory plug like the 9 volt attachment for the boondocker?

I checked the spark it was good. When I initially pulled the fuel line away from the rail there was small dribble of fuel and then nothing draining out.

I then put 12 volt to the fuel pump and the pump works which pressurized the line. I think the sled is not activating the fuel pump

the issue appears to be fuel related. I could bypass the Boondocker box to see if that is affecting the fuel?

How do you tell if your ECU isn't working?

I just recently replaced the crank on this sled and it ran great for the 1/2 mile or so before it died?

My tach is stuck on the 2 mark?

Thanks,

Ian

2008 M1000, SLP pipe, Boondocker controller,

Last edited:

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
ECU failures are all different. Most of the time you lose spark. The last one I cooked I had spark. I had everything but fuel injectors. Fuel pump ran and everything. The codes (if it threw any before dieing) are stored in the ecu. You could take the ecu to a dealer and see if they have another sled like yours to bolt it on and see if it fires. and if it does start you should be able to retrieve and codes.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Go about this just like any other motor... 3 things to check first.

Spark, fuel, air.

You can check injectors, check plugs, and obviously air is pretty simple, can't think of how the motor would be starved of it unless there's a mouse nest in the intake (seen this before!)

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
hmm..compression...fuel...spark...air..like bcil says...find out what ya got and what ya don;t...pour a bit of fuel down the spark plug holes and see if she fires or runs..take the air box off and spray from there..reed issues..??...smart valves in tank issues..??..hmmm..ya had the crank put in...stator connection or stator issues..??..is the timing key in the flywheel ,if not timing way off kilter..??...did ya lube up the crank seals real good during assembly..??..could the crank seals fail after first little bit after crank install....??crank halfs sealed..??

lots and lots of possibilities...but YOU have to narrow it down abit to give us a bone.

bparks

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Evergreen, Co
check kill switch throttle safty switch and test stator sound like might be one of them messing things up

C

coug66

Oct 31, 2010
NW near Greenwater
Wow, I think I found it?

Compression!!!!!!

I checked the compression and its too low? The sled ran great for a little while so I didn't think to check the compression at first.

I checked the fuel pressure, spark, coil resistance for all the electrical components. Everything tested OK :face-icon-small-con.

I came up with 60 PSI on both cylinders. Since they were both close I thought it might have been the guage. I checked my 900 and the compression was over twice the M1000.

I did a leak down test at TDC and its blowing air through.

So I am going to pull the heads to see whats up?

Since the sled ran great for a mile I can't imagine what went wrong with both cyclinders?

I called the dealer earlier today (when I thought it was electrical relating to fuel) and they have a two week backlog. It seems you have to do your own work because I would hate to wait during the season. If its summer and its a two week wait what would it be during the season? The only other vehicle they have is Kawasaki? I have never had much confidence in Kawasaki but 2 weeks?

I have never had a motor with low compression? I hate electrical so compression is a much preffered problem. I should be able to solve this problem easily.

Ian

Last edited:
C

coug66

Oct 31, 2010
NW near Greenwater
The Problem!

The circlips on both pistons popped out and scored the cylinders and pistons:face-icon-small-sad

When the circlips popped out and the rings and pistons got messed up, I lost the compression.

Then the sled broke down. I am going to have to read some manuals as to how to put the circlips in correctly.

The pins were really stiff and did not want to go in the top of the rods. I don't know if that has contributed to the dual failures.

I have installed a number of pistons and circlips before with nothing like this result. I thought they were both properly seated?

I now need to get two heads refinished and two new sets of Piston/Rings ect.

paid so much this year for sledding I am a little tired of the repairs :(.

Ian

Last edited:

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
circlip gap at 12 oclock or 6 oclock..but yep its crazy how a little burr in the clip canel can cause so much problems...circlips should just be easier...willikers its 2012..

C

coug66

Oct 31, 2010
NW near Greenwater
Just wanted to thank you for this post, your first criteria was compression! When I read this it stuck in my mind. I resolved the other isues and then there was compression?

When I poured gas in the cylinders and it wouldn't fire even with a good spark?

Also it would backfire and blow flames out the exhaust but not start.

I couldn't imagine it being compression, it was the last thing I suspected. at least I know what the problem is.

I need to call the dealer on Tuesday and cancel my apointment.

Ian

hmm..compression...fuel...spark...air..like bcil says...find out what ya got and what ya don;t...pour a bit of fuel down the spark plug holes and see if she fires or runs..take the air box off and spray from there..reed issues..??...smart valves in tank issues..??..hmmm..ya had the crank put in...stator connection or stator issues..??..is the timing key in the flywheel ,if not timing way off kilter..??...did ya lube up the crank seals real good during assembly..??..could the crank seals fail after first little bit after crank install....??crank halfs sealed..??

lots and lots of possibilities...but YOU have to narrow it down abit to give us a bone.

Last edited:
Premium Features