• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Matryx 850 Trouble

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
Matryx 850 with about 300 miles (second motor) is misbehaving.

It ran great all day. I got a low fuel pressure code, and it was trying to die. So, I stopped, and poached a couple gallons from another rider on a boost. His sled ran great all day so I’m assuming the fuel was good. From then on It was not idling and then kept trying to cut out and die at low rpm’s especially when I was chopping the throttle. If I could pin it for a sec it would clean up and hold high rpm. I was able to get it back to the truck. Went to unload at my shop and won’t start. Won’t even try and turn over. I thawed it out, changed plugs, added a tss bypass, and unplugged the kill switch to try and narrow down. Also added 5 gallons of fuel to make sure it has gas. No codes on the 7s that I see.

Any guesses as to what it could be?

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
When you say it won’t turn over do you mean it’s ES and it won’t crank with the key or manually you can’t pull the rope because it’s locked up?

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
When you say it won’t turn over do you mean it’s ES and it won’t crank with the key or manually you can’t pull the rope because it’s locked up?
Manual start. It will pull, but won’t start. I disconnected the fuel pump relay and tugged on it a good 30 times with the switch/key on and had no luck. Just in case it was flooded.

I did hit a big jump that jarred things pretty good right before the fuel pressure code popped up.

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
Those sound like a TPS symptoms. I wonder if that EZ Link thing would tell if it was good.
Hmm, I’ll see what I can figure out on that end then. I can run to Carl’s to get one. I’m going to swap some parts from the 9r to see if I nocked something loose. That sled has seen better days and it’s for parts now.

I did a big reentry that jarred it pretty good right before all that started happening. And the fuel pressure code came in right after that hit.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Hmm, I’ll see what I can figure out on that end then. I can run to Carl’s to get one. I’m going to swap some parts from the 9r to see if I nocked something loose. That sled has seen better days and it’s for parts now.

I did a big reentry that jarred it pretty good right before all that started happening. And the fuel pressure code came in right after that hit.
Even if you had low fuel pressure it should still fart or try to start. Those symptoms sound just like when I had a TPS quit.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Even if you had low fuel pressure it should still fart or try to start. Those symptoms sound just like when I had a TPS quit.
My sled farts occasionally too. But starts most of the time thankfully😜

Zrider

Lifetime Membership
May 7, 2003
Sparks, NV
Matryx 850 with about 300 miles (second motor) is misbehaving.

It ran great all day. I got a low fuel pressure code, and it was trying to die. So, I stopped, and poached a couple gallons from another rider on a boost. His sled ran great all day so I’m assuming the fuel was good. From then on It was not idling and then kept trying to cut out and die at low rpm’s especially when I was chopping the throttle. If I could pin it for a sec it would clean up and hold high rpm. I was able to get it back to the truck. Went to unload at my shop and won’t start. Won’t even try and turn over. I thawed it out, changed plugs, added a tss bypass, and unplugged the kill switch to try and narrow down. Also added 5 gallons of fuel to make sure it has gas. No codes on the 7s that I see.

Any guesses as to what it could be?
Same thing happened to one of my riding pals a week ago. His 850 RMK died and showed low fuel pressure on his screen. Would not start on E-start or pulling the rope. Had to tow him off the ridgetop. Got back down to a trail after a long tow job and the sled fired up. Hauled ass back to the trucks. Took it to the dealer. Hooked up the dig wrench and it threw a code for a bad voltage regulator. Dealer order one; still waiting. We were all thinking the fuel pump was taking a dump.

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
Chadley is most likely right. I did have a similar situation minus the fuel code though. I as well hit a hole real hard and shortly there after the sled quit and never fired back up. unplugged the key ,tether and switch made no difference. got towed down and took to the dealer, they plugged it into the computer and it said the voltage reg was dead, turns out the voltage reg was actually unplugged. It must not have been clipped in all the way from factory and the hard hit knock it out. The reg is above the head below the air intake. there are three plugs thereI believe it is closest to the clutch

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
Plugs were dry. So I sprayed some starting fluid in the motor. Nothing for about ten pulls. I disconnected the fuel pump plug above the primary. She started up on about the 8-10th pulls. Now it idles and runs fine.

I had pulled it over probably 75 times before that with the fuel pump unplugged having no luck. I’m going to check the voltage regulator and tps at the dealer to rule that out.

Thanks for the helpful comments, and taking the time to trouble shoot for me.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Plugs were dry. So I sprayed some starting fluid in the motor. Nothing for about ten pulls. I disconnected the fuel pump plug above the primary. She started up on about the 8-10th pulls. Now it idles and runs fine.

I had pulled it over probably 75 times……….
Sounds exhaustin. Time for a well deserved beer.

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
@b-litt figure this out?
I think it was a combo of the sled flooding and having bad plugs. The engine light that came on is still there. Polaris says it’s a ghost code for the ev cable out of adjustment. They said ignor the engine light 😂. It’s been ripping with that light on for a few hundred miles now. Thanks for the help!

Premium Features