• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

has anyone looked at data from their ECU?

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
just curious I had my 17 in for a new short block. the dealer said the ecu had 2 hours of over rev logged. Is that a lot? at what rpm do they consider over rev? anyway kudos to ski doo for giving me a new short block even thou it as 2 months out of warranty.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
It would be great if owners could access the information without having to take it into the dealer. I can scan my car or truck with a scan tool, we should have the same access to the information as consumers.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
There are a bunch of Nhra racers lobbying the vehicle manufacturers to share your vehicles information. They say it’s your vehicle, therefore it’s your info. Cheers

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Technically you do not own the software in the computer.
I remember a fight with cummins over this awhile back.
I say, I paid $xx,xxx for my vehicle, therefore I own everything in it. My own information, driving history etc is mine. Not for the manufacture to access when ever they want. My car, my info. I don’t want any software, I want the info that is in it. I have no idea what to do with software anyway. The big 4 can suck it.

Last edited:

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
there's a similar issue with john deere farm equipment. farmers can't repair their equipment because they can't access/utilize the software and it's not exactly easy or cheap to trailer a 20+ ton combine to the dealer.

heliwrench

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2015
there's a similar issue with john deere farm equipment. farmers can't repair their equipment because they can't access/utilize the software and it's not exactly easy or cheap to trailer a 20+ ton combine to the dealer.

That applies to pretty much any modern vehicle or piece of equipment now. Thats what field techs are for. They come to the machine.

E
Sep 12, 2008
N 45°31', W 94°14'
It happened in the computer Industry and Bell phone systems back in 1984, I was there. It was called deregulation. IBM had a monolopy on their diagnostics, so if your mainframe went down or had errors, you have to get an IBM tech, same with the Regional Bell companies. Not sure with recreational products it will ever happen. Rotax changed from Budds to an subscription system where they can monitor it. my 2 cents anyway.

Premium Features