• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Goodbye to Klim (and their diminishing-warranty)....looking for other options

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
You can buy gore tex patch kits, if you know right where its leaking might help. I got a patch kit on ebay for something else. ( I was making some breathable vents on a waterproof quadcopter :) )

As for something other than Klim I'm happy with my motorfist pants,
their jackets don't fit me at all ( I'm real tall sleeves are too short ). And I have had to send some motorfist gloves back 2 times but they were really good with replacing them.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I've noticed a lot of companies that had products with life time warranties only to have them reneg on their commitment to provide a life time warranty . and say that the warranty is for the life of the product . I call foul on this because it is totally subjective and dishonest in my opinion, I have tons of klim gear and have been very disappointed in their attitude towards their product. if they don't want to offer a life time warranty don't offer one. and stop this chicken crap excuse that the life of the product is over.i'd feel better if they just would put a specific time period on the product ratter than deceive their customers about the length of the warranty. ok rant over . p/s I saw boondocker155 's bibs and they looked like new but would not keep him dry only about 2 or three years old. it was b/s they didn't cover them.

Not defending anybody here, but lifetime warranties are almost always for the life of the product. Lifetime warranty on brakes? Yup, until they wear out. In my industry, I replace other companies products on a daily basis that were lifetime warranties. Only a sucker believes that it means until they die.

H
Aug 18, 2010
I'm not a big fan of posts like this. Without pictures they are worthless and even with pictures they can be worthless. I remember a post just like this a few years ago by a guy making the same kind of claim on a pair of gloves. When he posted pictures they were close ups of one finger with a stitch that was cut. Another snowester happened to stop by Klim and ask about the gloves involved in the claim and Klim showed him their pictures of the gloves. Turns out the reason for the close up picture was the glove in question had been burned almost in half.

You can say what you want about the Klim warranty but I here about guys getting gear warrantied that's 10 years old. My guess would be Klim probably warranties a lot more stuff that shouldn't be then they deny that should be.

Jeva

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I just got my 6 year old freeride pants warrantied. They even had a small tear in the thigh that didn't have anything to do with the warranty claim. I love my Klim gear.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I just got my 6 year old freeride pants warrantied. They even had a small tear in the thigh that didn't have anything to do with the warranty claim. I love my Klim gear.

This is what i don't understand?????

Last year I sent a one year old pair of Free Ride Pants in that had two very small snags / tears. Very small, in fact one about a 1/4" and the other was even smaller.

I really didn't know what to expect, but after they looked at them I was told it would be $80.00 to repair and of course the shipping charges back.

Jeva

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
This is what i don't understand?????

Last year I sent a one year old pair of Free Ride Pants in that had two very small snags / tears. Very small, in fact one about a 1/4" and the other was even smaller.

I really didn't know what to expect, but after they looked at them I was told it would be $80.00 to repair and of course the shipping charges back.

They warrantied mine for a wet *** and not for any tears or rips. They will not warranty rips or tears, did you try to get them to warranty a snag or tear? They test the wet area for leakage, mine failed.

dttrusko

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2010
Trimountain, MI
I have had HMK, FXR, and Polaris branded gear and bought my first pair of Klim last year. There is no comparison in my opinion. It is worth the extra money to be dry at the end of the day. I'll take my chances with the warranty department. I haven't heard anything negative from our riding group.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Cantaffordus, WA
www.mbhc.net
Here is the small holes in knee and bottom. The other leg was perfect.

image_zpse26f4dec.jpg

image_zpsa6d09587.jpg

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I have to say....we had the first klim vendor here in Anacortes and I have been an adamant supporter for a long time. The gear was good and the warranty was great!

I have sent gear in over the years and if the material was leaking, they took care of it.

I have a Togwottee bib that is only 1 1/2 seasons old with almost no wear except a small amount of fraying at the bottom of the leggings. Near the end of the season the legs were letting more water in than keeping it out and my thighs would get soaked getting up to the snow. I sent them in with the expectation that they would take care of me.

Unfortunately, this time they rejected the warranty because the pants were "damaged". Like I said, I went over them closely and there are no holes or burns, just a small amount of fraying down by my boots.

Well, if 1 1/2 seasons now constitutes the "life" of the garment, then its time for me to move on to another brand.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Here is the small holes in knee and bottom. The other leg was perfect.

image_zpse26f4dec.jpg

image_zpsa6d09587.jpg

So they were leaking in the leg with the holes near the knee?

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
I'm not a big fan of posts like this. Without pictures they are worthless and even with pictures they can be worthless. I remember a post just like this a few years ago by a guy making the same kind of claim on a pair of gloves. When he posted pictures they were close ups of one finger with a stitch that was cut. Another snowester happened to stop by Klim and ask about the gloves involved in the claim and Klim showed him their pictures of the gloves. Turns out the reason for the close up picture was the glove in question had been burned almost in half.

You can say what you want about the Klim warranty but I here about guys getting gear warrantied that's 10 years old. My guess would be Klim probably warranties a lot more stuff that shouldn't be then they deny that should be.

THANK YOU!!! For an intelligent post.

Most of the posts on this thread are vague; like Klim sucks...Well, really an intelligent comment which is why I gave you a thumbs down; and will see if you are one of those guys that will now have to give me a thumbs down. How about being telling us why you had a bad experience with Klim.

And thank you to mountainhorse for admitting his warranty was declined due to damage that was his fault.

I have had great luck with Klim warranty!

Had a pair of pants that were about 7 years old, leaking in the arss...and they were covered. And I had a patched job on the right knee; which obviously wouldn't contribute to a leaking arss.

Squeegee blew out on a very old pair of gloves (that I thought for sure would have been declined as they were very worn, but gave it a shot) and were replaced.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Right off the bat I want to be clear that I am HIGHLY BIASED....

KLIM corp headquarters is just down the street from my house, so I tend to be in and out of their building pretty regularly and my son was lucky enough to have a corporate internship there.

All that said, I am a KLIM Poster Boy when it comes to Gear.

I wear 100% KLIM (that I bought and paid for myself) top to bottom.
Only my SnowPulse Avy pack is made by another manufacturer, and I still suspect KLIM is going to bring out their own pack again at some point. Because of this I have had the opportunity to spend some time IN their warranty repair department getting to know their staff and their procedures for evaluating warranty claims.

While it may seems arbitrary and capricious here on SW, in reality its not. These guys deal with a LOT of warranty claims coming in from far and wide and in widely varying state of wear and use.

=================

At KLIM, every warranty claim is handled personally and professionally by our in-house staff. For over 12 years, KLIM has been building and standing behind the best riding gear in the world. Our warranty team is unmatched at delivering personal, professional service.

Every claim starts with an evaluation and cataloging process through Customer Service. Once a product has been arranged for return to KLIM Headquarters, our in-house warranty team steps into action. Every piece/issue is handled on a case-by-case basis with exceptional care taken in evaluating, testing and tracking solutions to each claim in line with KLIM’s Warranty Policy.

All aspects of our Warranty Process are handled with a strong focus on efficient communication to the customer. From laboratory testing to professional repair, KLIM strives to provide more value with every transaction.

Please see our Warranty Page for information and instructions on how to start a Warranty Process and more Warranty information.

Warranty Policy (United States)
We warrant *every product we make to be free of manufacturer defects for the **lifetime of the product. Additionally, all KLIM GORE-TEX® products are GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRY® for the **lifetime of the product. If these products fail due to a manufacturing or material defect, we will repair the product without charge, or replace it at our discretion. This warranty is not transferable. Product must be registered with KLIM (at www.KLIM.com) to receive warranty coverage.

* KLIM BOOTS are warranted against defects in materials and workmanship for one [1] year from the date of purchase. Aggressive running boards will accelerate the wear and tear on the soles of the boots. This is considered normal wear and tear. General warranty terms apply.

* The KLIM F4 HELMET is warranted against defects in materials and workmanship for five [5] years from the date of purchase. General warranty terms apply.

* KLIM GOGGLES are warranted against defects in materials and workmanship for one [1] year from the date of purchase. Scratches are not covered under this warranty. General warranty terms apply.

** The lifetime of a product unfortunately does not mean your lifetime. The intensity under which the product is used determines this factor. Rips, tears, cuts, punctures, burns, accidents, improper care, negligence, normal wear-and-tear, modifications, alterations or use for a purpose other than which the product designed will void the lifetime warranty of even if the warranty issue is not related to these damages.

Klim Warranty & Repair

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fY8OKNCeEXQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

R
Klim has been awesome to me in the past. I landed an awesome deal on all new Motorfist gear and I sent in my Rekon jacket & Bibs, and Helmet. They fixed all of the gear, sent me a brand new helmet. Tossed in a shirt and some stickers. Both experiences have been great.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Cantaffordus, WA
www.mbhc.net
No, it wasn't leaking in the knee or lower leg. Both upper legs would soak completely through. Washed them multiple times to be sure. Yes, Klim used to be good about their warranty that is why we have supported them for 15 years. It has changed! I'm moving on.

Rt

R
Nov 27, 2007
Cantaffordus, WA
www.mbhc.net
THANK YOU!!! For an intelligent post.

Most of the posts on this thread are vague; like Klim sucks...Well, really an intelligent comment which is why I gave you a thumbs down; and will see if you are one of those guys that will now have to give me a thumbs down. How about being telling us why you had a bad experience with Klim.

And thank you to mountainhorse for admitting his warranty was declined due to damage that was his fault.

I have had great luck with Klim warranty!

Had a pair of pants that were about 7 years old, leaking in the arss...and they were covered. And I had a patched job on the right knee; which obviously wouldn't contribute to a leaking arss.

Squeegee blew out on a very old pair of gloves (that I thought for sure would have been declined as they were very worn, but gave it a shot) and were replaced.

And how long ago was that? We used to get that support but not any more!

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Did they offer to repair your pants Retodd?

I have to say your pants look pretty threadbare for less than a couple of seasons. Your tough on gear.

I have a pair of insulated Riemas from the early 90's that look about the same. I use them for work in the dirt in the winter cause they're full zip legs. They are tri-ply build(gortex bonded to the middle layer not the outer fabric, heavy though) and only the left knee leaks if kneeling in the puddle of a water tie-in.
IMO Gortex is the only membrane and I think the same about Klim for sleddin. But, I've never tried to warranty anything because I live in Canada.

Premium Features