• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Goodbye to Klim (and their diminishing-warranty)....looking for other options

R
Nov 27, 2007
Cantaffordus, WA
www.mbhc.net
I have to say....we had the first klim vendor here in Anacortes and I have been an adamant supporter for a long time. The gear was good and the warranty was great!

I have sent gear in over the years and if the material was leaking, they took care of it.

I have a Togwottee bib that is only 1 1/2 seasons old with almost no wear except a small amount of fraying at the bottom of the leggings. Near the end of the season the legs were letting more water in than keeping it out and my thighs would get soaked getting up to the snow. I sent them in with the expectation that they would take care of me.

Unfortunately, this time they rejected the warranty because the pants were "damaged". Like I said, I went over them closely and there are no holes or burns, just a small amount of fraying down by my boots.

Well, if 1 1/2 seasons now constitutes the "life" of the garment, then its time for me to move on to another brand.

Anyone have any recommendations?

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
It seems to be hit and miss , the Canada (Calgary) warranty department seams way worse than USA.
I had a pair of gloves that were ripping at the stitching they got denied , 2 seasons old. Gonna try TNA gear gloves they seem to have good reviews.

There was a thread a while back on it , ill see if I can find it.

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
Always had good luck with warranty and durability on HMK gear. Fxr seems to be getting pretty good and serious about the mountain market. Klim is nice, but I don't see that the value is there anymore. Had some gloves rip out on me last year after 3 days of riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tundramonkey

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
MN
If your not into looking fancy Reima is bomb proof.

DPG

Unfortunately no longer a option, bought out by Scott years ago. Just had to replace my warrior jacket I bought back in 2000.

Might be able to find some old stock on eBay.

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
I have to say....we had the first klim vendor here in Anacortes and I have been an adamant supporter for a long time. The gear was good and the warranty was great!

I have sent gear in over the years and if the material was leaking, they took care of it.

I have a Togwottee bib that is only 1 1/2 seasons old with almost no wear except a small amount of fraying at the bottom of the leggings. Near the end of the season the legs were letting more water in than keeping it out and my thighs would get soaked getting up to the snow. I sent them in with the expectation that they would take care of me.

Unfortunately, this time they rejected the warranty because the pants were "damaged". Like I said, I went over them closely and there are no holes or burns, just a small amount of fraying down by my boots.

Well, if 1 1/2 seasons now constitutes the "life" of the garment, then its time for me to move on to another brand.

Anyone have any recommendations?

ReTodd,

Unfortunately companies and policies change, and sometimes you get someone in the warranty department that does not see things the way you do. That is sad to hear. We can however offer you options such as FXR, Motorfist, HMK, or TOBE which have all been great brands to work with! If you wouldn't mind, post up some pictures of the bib, so we can see what they say is damaged. Thanks!

FXR GEAR <<<<<<

MOTORFIST GEAR <<<<<<<<

HMK GEAR<<<<<<<<

TOBE GEAR <<<<<<<<

B

boondocker155

Sep 5, 2013
Same exact thing happened to me too! I was pretty upset as well. Klim is good stuff though, it's hard to buy anything else...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Motorfist seems like good stuff

I will not try them again, I've tried buying MotorFist stuff two or three times, It always seems to show up sized funny and of poor quality. Maybe that is just the way things are now in the current Walmart Economy-Cheap Foreign crap made by the lowest bidder in China, Taiwan, Malaysia, Bangladesh, The Philippines, etc.

My North Face Gear is very dated (20 years old) but still serves me well. Only 2-3 broken zippers over the years.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
I will not try them again, I've tried buying MotorFist stuff two or three times, It always seems to show up sized funny and of poor quality. Maybe that is just the way things are now in the current Walmart Economy-Cheap Foreign crap made by the lowest bidder in China, Taiwan, Malaysia, Bangladesh, The Philippines, etc.

My North Face Gear is very dated (20 years old) but still serves me well. Only 2-3 broken zippers over the years.

I took my old north face bibs bought some cordura for the ***, knee,s and lower 1/3rd of the pant leg and 20 years later they look great...I have the original Klim bibs as well and did the same .

DPG

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
I've noticed a lot of companies that had products with life time warranties only to have them reneg on their commitment to provide a life time warranty . and say that the warranty is for the life of the product . I call foul on this because it is totally subjective and dishonest in my opinion, I have tons of klim gear and have been very disappointed in their attitude towards their product. if they don't want to offer a life time warranty don't offer one. and stop this chicken crap excuse that the life of the product is over.i'd feel better if they just would put a specific time period on the product ratter than deceive their customers about the length of the warranty. ok rant over . p/s I saw boondocker155 's bibs and they looked like new but would not keep him dry only about 2 or three years old. it was b/s they didn't cover them.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I took my old north face bibs bought some cordura for the ***, knee,s and lower 1/3rd of the pant leg and 20 years later they look great...I have the original Klim bibs as well and did the same .

DPG

All outer layers of mine were already the ballistic quality / weight nylon. But excellent thought on making the stuff live nearly forever.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
All outer layers of mine were already the ballistic quality / weight nylon. But excellent thought on making the stuff live nearly forever.

Yah all my stuff has all the ballistic material as well which as you know gets pretty scuffed up from use. The cordura adds reinforcement on top of the reinforcement.

DPG

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Try complaining to Gortex. That is their claim to fame " guaranteed to keep you dry". It's not free to put that on the tag. I think they are bigger than Klim too.

If you tested the pants (pretty simple, put them on and hose yourself lol, circle the leak) and they leaked, with no holes in the fabric, it's a no brainer to me. If you think they leak that is a different thing.
Remember they need to be washed properly to breath. With Revivex or something too.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Try complaining to Gortex. That is their claim to fame " guaranteed to keep you dry". It's not free to put that on the tag. I think they are bigger than Klim too.

If you tested the pants (pretty simple, put them on and hose yourself lol, circle the leak) and they leaked, with no holes in the fabric, it's a no brainer to me. If you think they leak that is a different thing.
Remember they need to be washed properly to breath. With Revivex or something too.

Gortex keeps you dry...However if the manufacture does not use gortex tape on every seem your going to get wet...Zippers also leak.

DPG

T
Feb 24, 2011
HILLS OF SOUTHWEST MONTANA
I know Klim pissed you off by rejecting your warranty and they have done the same thing to me and others on this forum. With that said I will never buy any other brand but Klim it saved my life having to spend the night in the mountains at -10 without a fire and I can overlook a declined warranty claim if their product saved a life. Just something to think about before looking at another brand.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I had some damaged pants that would get wet... sent them to Klim and they also declined the warranty for the same reasons...and was unable to replace the panel as they would have cost more than the entire pant. The damage was my fault. I sealed up the areas with some type of clear sealant I had on hand and ran them for two more seasons as my thrasher pants... they did not leak on me... I also make sure to keep them washed from time to time.

I also had a friend that had a set of GoreTex pants that leaked. The pants were dirty... but didn't look it... washed them in the "Tech wash"... you should have seen how filthy the water was... after that the pants did not leak any longer. This is common with any water resistant tech fabric and is common.

If you garment leaks and is not damage where it is leaking...Give them a wash in the NON DETERGENT solutions recommended by the mfg. Worth a try in your situation if you feel they are leaking in the non damaged areas.

I use Nik-Wax "TECH WASH" that you can get at most outdoor stores.
http://www.nikwax.com/en-us/products/productdetail.php?productid=268

image1_18_en-us.jpg

Premium Features