• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tool Kit-Portable build

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
Getting back into the sport and putting together my onboard emergency tool kit. I was eyeballing the Burandt large tool kit that is always out of stock and priced over $400. Got to thinking, Burandt's name may be on them, what kind of reputation does the actual manufacturer have and concluded I could piece together a better kit. For one, I have been out in the woods with daylight receding, temp dropping while fidgeting around with an open end wrench while my hands are shaking from the cold. Burandts kit shows it weighs in at 5.5lbs (maybe shipping etc)
Anyway here is what I have so far starting out from the large Burandt tool list.
Lightweight Wrench Metric – Open End/Box End
8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Lightweight Wrench SAE – Open End/Box End
3/8”, 7/16”, 1/2", 9/16”
¼” Ratchet
¼ x 3/8” adapter
Allen Wrench Set – Folding SAE
Allen Wrench Set – Folding Metric
Torx Wrench Set – Folding
6 in 1 Screw Driver
6” Crescent Wrench
Needle Nose Pliers
“L” Allen Wrench 6mm
“L” Allen Wrench 4mm
8mm 3/8 Drive Allen Socket
15mm 3/8 Deepwell Socket
10mm 3/8 Deepwell Socket
1/2” – 3/8 socket
12mm 3/8 socket
13mm 3/8 socket
16mm 3/8 socket
17mm 3/8 socket
7/16” ¼” drive Deepwell socket
8mm ¼” drive socket
10mm ¼” drive socket

Started off with the Klim Tool pouch from my Klim shape shifter pack.

For one, I have been out in the woods with daylight receding, temp dropping while fidgeting around with an open end wrench while my hands are shaking from the cold. So I decided I wanted Ratcheting box end wrenches.
Started with these Stubby Duratech Metric at $39.99 and Stubby Duratech SAE at $39.99. of these I pulled for the kit the 7/16, 3/8, 1/2, 9/16, 14mm,16mm
To make up for the other sizes and cut down on weight (a bit lighter than the 8 stubby wrenches they replace) I filled the remaining sizes with the Duratech Flex head ratcheting 4 in 1 set at $24.99

Ratchet and Sockets.
I grabbed the 1/4 driver from this pair which is lighter than my 1/4 Craftsman at $18.20 and added the stubby 3/8 to my garage box.
Sockets were based on limited availability of what I could find and did not want to sacrifice my good Craftsman set to have pieces not there. I don't have a local Sears to go pull individuals from and online they all seem to run about $5 each so I grabbed these from Sears online on sale for $14.99

The gap I filled in with these trying to find 6pt (not a 12pt socket fan since popping them like plastic on a couple occasions with a stuck on bolt)
10mm 6pt deep
7/16 6pt deep
1/2 6pt Deep
10mm 6pt Deep
8mm 6pt Deep
8mm 6pt in 3/8
15mm Deep
8mm Hex Bit socket

Grabbed this set of adaptors for $10.99, pulled the 1/4 to 3/8 adaptor and put the rest in my garage box
Next Irwin Adjustable wrench $10.99
Hex Key Sets $17.88
Klein Tools 11-1 Screwdriver $14.97

I went a little heavy on this one rather than using a standard set of Needle nose. Since the military I have always carried a Leatherman or Gerber Multitool which I still have both but not going to throw either of those on the sled so I bought a new pair. Leatherman Sidekick $69.95 this will not go in the tool bag, this will do in the handlebar bag.

Pulled the 4mm & 6mm long hex keys from this set and tossed the rest in my garage box. Wanted something a bit corrosion resistant $29.99

Adds; I'm a big fan of tactical flashlights for rugged performance but most simply do not last long with constant use. I decided to pack an Ohlight Warrior X3 with up to 5hrs time with an extra battery and quick strap for mounting to a 509 universal helmet go pro mount or any other go pro mount for night riding. These also go in my handlbar bag.

Stuff I have in my small Burant bag (other than saw and other survival equip)
1 roll electrical tape
Bikeman Clutch tool
1 bag 2.5in exhaust springs
1 bag 1.8in exhaust Springs
I also have the long Bikeman spring tool but this one is shorter I have also used authentic army 550 Paracord to use as a spring tool and internal threads to replace zipper tabs that broke off while riding and needed to zip pockets back up. 550 cord is a great piece of kit to have in your bag.
1 roll military 100mph tape Not to be confused for duct tape. I thought it was the same initially in the army until you use 100mph tape and see what the stuff can do. There are many copies or claims of being the authentic stuff but there really is no comparison to the real thing.
And a Shock Spanner tool
Also adding some zip ties, small to size large enough to use as handcuffs. Change them every season as the plastic gets brittle.
Stainless hose clamps. Variety of sizes, 2 in each size.
Tow strap is in the Burandt small bag. Also have a set of 1/4 ratchet extensions on order planning to stuff the longest one I can fit and a shorter on in the bag. I plan on picking up a few hose clamps to add for expendables. I kind of wish the folding hex wrenches were not as bulky and lighter.

What else am I missing that you would add?

Last edited:
V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
It looks like you have more than your sled needs.
Not many SAE sizes on these sleds anymore. However, removal of a ski might require a redundant size. We encountered the need for a "tool" to remove a broken scratcher.

Might not hurt to make a mental checklist of what tools are required to remove or adjust something and make sure you have it on board. Exhaust spring tool, track adjustment tools, recoil access tools, handlebar tools, etc.

IMG_8999.jpg

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
Totally forgot about the carbides and experienced that in the past. If I remember right deep wells are not deep enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Buddy of mine inquired about what I did for keeping track of tools on my sled. Figured I would make a tool roll and get it over with. Small black bag secures all the sockets and loose items while the roll holds all the longer items. Put a small flap/pocket on the bottom to hold things when you are actively working on something. Red bag was for the Pieps "updated" beacon since the new harness is like a barrel of monkeys now.

IMG_8451.jpg IMG_8452.jpg IMG_8453.jpg IMG_8457.jpg

law.74

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 16, 2017
Have you tried the Duratech 4in1 wrenches yet?
I like the idea of saving weight, but the shallow engagement of the larger side of each driver gives me pause. It also appears some have had bad luck with quality control.

I might buy a set and abuse them in the shop before I trust them on the mountain...

eta: thanks for the list and links. Well done!

Premium Features