• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Getting Sled Into Truck - Lift?

S
Feb 19, 2008
S.E. Idaho
I have a quick question for all of you. I am still a poor college student and have to store my sled in storage unit while I continue to rent an apartment. I don't have a trailer, and normally I ride with a couple of guys that are around to help me lift it in, since I don't have a trailer either. But now I am flying solo and need to get a sled into the back of my truck. Does anybody have any ideas on a lift that can be built or other ideas that they have done to get it in the back of a truck. Anyhelp would be great!
P.S. No loading docks around the storage unit, not even dirt banks...just asphalt.

S

Sled365

Mar 14, 2008
The one and Only G-Town,Wy
Two words picnick table!!! There free and every where!!

ha ha saw a guy do that a year or two ago I thought it was hillarious. to top it off he was at a hotel doing it to the picnick table:rolleyes::D
if you dont like that get some fourwheeler ramps. then go and buy some siding or something slick so your skis can co up it and back up to a curb and ride it up. after that to unload it just pick up the front of the sled and push(make sure the brakes off) and it will fall out. peace of cake

Last edited:

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
I use a tri-fold sled/atv ramp with a pair of strips cut from the floor of a pickup bedliner. My ramp is 6 ft long, a bedliner for a compact truck is just perfect. The floor of the one I got was enough to do 2 sets of 6 ft strips. I don't have them attatched to the ramp, I've debated attatching them with screws or zip ties but haven't done it. I didn't pay anything for the bedliner, I got it from the "county shopping mall" (dumpsters) where I take my garbage.

I just would like a longer ramp. My truck is a stock ford f-350 that sits a little high from the factory, and the track on my sled is still kinda short so I have to get a pretty good run at the ramp to get up it and have to grab the brake quick to keep from going over the top of the toolbox through the back window!

S
Feb 19, 2008
S.E. Idaho
I have the tri-fold ramp, but have always been too afraid to try it as I was afraid that it would slide out once the track hooked up. Maybe this will be my best bet, and I will have to put some bedliner on the ramp to make things flow more smoothly. I guess the curb would keep it from sliding out on me. Thanks for the ideas. If anybody else has some, let me know! Thanks to all for posting!!

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
I use a couple tie-down straps to suck the ramp tight against the tailgate. I know a few guys who didnt have the ramps anchored and have ended up with a mower or atv on top of them!!!

G
Feb 27, 2008
I've got a tri-fold ramp from (I think) Cabella's...was about $150 or so...just cut 2 strips of plywood to go down for the skis, and it came with chains on either side to attach to the tailgate so that your track doesn't spit it out when your riding up it. Works great. Once in, you can slide the back end of the sled to one side and the ramp will slide in right next to it, so that you have a way to unload up on the hill.

B
Jan 20, 2009
You could build or have sone build a small sled deck, a dads friends gave me mine and my dad just strenthend it up and build the ramp. Works amazing
I've also seen them made out of wood.

f150tires 002.jpg

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
If you just need a one time deal, or one that's going to stay where your sled is stored...and you're on a budget....I would just jack some old plywood; reinforce it with some 2x4's on the back and some old track or strapping, angle iron....whatever's laying around for some traction. Hopefully wherever you're sledding has a snow or dirt bank for loading, and just yank/shove it to unload.

If you want the best all-around solution that can come along with you....gotta go with a sled-bed. Mine's aluminum, but I've seen steel, wood and any combination thereof;

deck001.jpg

deck005.jpg

H

hurleyboarder21

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2003
Snohomish, WA
Do you know how to weld or someone that does? If you do, pm me or BLINDMAN and we can get you set up with what to do. Its a really simple, easy to use design that does not cost a whole lot to build. Its also very easy to get in and out of your truck when not in use.

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
I bought a Tri-fold ramp for $130 and put ski glides on each side. 90% of the time I ride I drive myself. I've been using the ramp for 2 years with a Nytro and it's worked great. Run a strap from your trailer hitch to about halfway down the ramp and it won't slide out.

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
If you just need a one time deal, or one that's going to stay where your sled is stored...and you're on a budget....I would just jack some old plywood; reinforce it with some 2x4's on the back and some old track or strapping, angle iron....whatever's laying around for some traction. Hopefully wherever you're sledding has a snow or dirt bank for loading, and just yank/shove it to unload.

If you want the best all-around solution that can come along with you....gotta go with a sled-bed. Mine's aluminum, but I've seen steel, wood and any combination thereof;

deck001.jpg

deck005.jpg

How much did that run you? Slick setup.

F
Jun 7, 2008
I have a quick question for all of you. I am still a poor college student and have to store my sled in storage unit while I continue to rent an apartment. I don't have a trailer, and normally I ride with a couple of guys that are around to help me lift it in, since I don't have a trailer either. But now I am flying solo and need to get a sled into the back of my truck. Does anybody have any ideas on a lift that can be built or other ideas that they have done to get it in the back of a truck. Anyhelp would be great!
P.S. No loading docks around the storage unit, not even dirt banks...just asphalt.

Before I got my trailer, I used to use a bi-fold 4 wheeler ramp and a set of ski boots on my sled to keep the carbides from catching. The boots are about $50. If your truck is lifted, it helps if you can find a bit of a ditch or angled driveway to back up to so your ramps aren't so steep.

H
Jan 1, 2008
If you go with the folding ramp like most are saying, take their advice and get some slides. I know (from experience) that if your skis get caught on a ramp without slides, it's defenitly not because you don't have enough speed! So don't make another run at it with more momentum. You will only succeed in standing the ramp straight up, at the same time closing the tailgate, then stuffing your sled and the ramp under the truck, and an "over the bars" to finish.

U
Nov 26, 2007
NW Montana
If you go with the folding ramp like most are saying, take their advice and get some slides. I know (from experience) that if your skis get caught on a ramp without slides, it's defenitly not because you don't have enough speed! So don't make another run at it with more momentum. You will only succeed in standing the ramp straight up, at the same time closing the tailgate, then stuffing your sled and the ramp under the truck, and an "over the bars" to finish.

I have seen that done. Sold a 2 year old sled without a scratch on it to a guy who was buying it for his adult son. Wanted to load it that way, before he got a run at it I told him " man, that never works for me" said he does it all the time.
Not this time, sled and ramp ended up under the truck, tailgate closed! He done more damage in 20' that I did in 2000 miles. Problem was he hadn't paid me yet.
So I cooly walked over to him and said " we still got a deal don't we?

That wasn't you, was it homegrownRMK?

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
I made a nice loading dock for load at home. I built the frame out of 2x6"s, and it has a plywood topsheet. I'll be adding some bedliner strips soon for glides, carbines are tearing up the plywood. I tossed a couple of 50lbs sand bags in front of it to keep it from sliding and ride my sled right into the bed. I spent maybe $30 bucks on building it.

Theres always a snowbank to back up to at the hill for reloading.

Premium Features