• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Are Sled Prices Getting to High?

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
I made my down payment last night, fully opted out Mountain Cat, ES & ATAC. I was going to pass on ATAC, but found out it was only $100 more to add it, why not. But man I can honestly say I'm having buyers remorse. I'm happy a new sled is coming but the pricing is taking the excitement right out of it. How much is to much and at what point do you tap out buying new? I'm there. I'm committed to this one but moving forward I don't know. What do you guys think? Have we reached a peak? There are some great deals on '24 Doos and Poos right now, will the industry swing back that direction? I understand a poor snow year impacts things, but I think its more then that. I think more and more people are getting priced out of the game. Thoughts???

Last edited:

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I’ve always bought a couple year old sleds with a couple hundred miles at the best possible price. I’ve always felt alright about those dollar numbers and the sled I got because it seemed a little more controlled. Too much, don’t get. If a Sled had extra options and was a little more, I could decide yea or nay.
A couple years ago I decided to buy new. I paid 16,9(17) for a ‘22 Matryx. I was super excited about it but that price kept whispering at me. I still think about it really. I think that price was beyond my max $ to equal max fun returns.
After this one, I’ll probably go back to my original buying plan. So I agree, I think they are getting too inflated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Definitely getting to high. The last sled I snowchecked was a 2020 165 mountain cat es. It was like $12,700. Same sled now is listed at $19,599. I know inflation is bad now with all the building back better, but is it really $7k in 5 years difference? Are they $7k better than what I have now? That being said I plan on ordering one, but it’ll be the last one in a long time if prices keep trending the way they are.

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
I think covid pricing exposed what consumer's willingness-to-pay really is. Huge mark ups were in place, yet consumers still bucked up and paid it. Sure inflation plays a role, but I think manufactures took note of that.

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
I live in Canada and snow checked a 22 maytrx and it was just shy of 24k out the door and i had that thought then, when does it become too much. 2yrs later im now thinkin that is my limit going forward. I dont really see chassis getting too much better, guy can always want more power but you are paying for it. Way cheaper to rebuild a motor and shocks, if your happy with the rest of the sled. Chaddly in the Poo forum will call us peasants because we wont buy new every yr like him but its all on what your comfortable spending. Myself am getting close to retirement and i know the wife will need another car and my truck aint gonna last forever, so my 22 may have been my last new sled.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
the entry level mtn sled at under 16 isnt insane and its better than the high end sleds were in the previous chassis, i think its the guages and electronics and turbos and having to spend more money to get power while meeting emissions. years ago you made an engine that made power and was durable and that was that but now that doesnt meet emissions so you have to spend more time and money doing that. But everything is up cars groceries houses etc. and i dont see it ever coming back down. maybe plateau but rarely do prices come down.

iroc1132

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2008
SE Idaho
At the rate things are going, in 10 years a new base model sled will be 28K with upper end models well over 30k.
But look at the truck market. 100k for a new truck isn't out of the ordinary any more...cough cough.. Aaaakk..
I'm putting my money down on a new cat today, I haven't bought a new sled since '14. This will be my last new sled. If it isn't all I want it to be, I'll be going back to a '23 or '24 Hardcore and just ride off into the sunset...

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
We have become addicted to options and creature comforts with both sleds and trucks. I can build out a F-450 XLT crew cab that is $75k or the Limited trim is over $100k right off the bat. That's literally $25k in creature comforts for the same capacity truck. Same with sleds. I just built a 858 Mountain Cat loaded out for $21,000 with some accessories. Not including freight, tax, setup, or doc fees. Base model 858 at $15,800. That's $5200 in creature comforts and personal preferences.

1872_787_1.png

1853_785_1.png

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Not sure why... But I didn't hesitate to pay 22k for my current Polaris. Maybe because at the time supplies were still extremely tight, and resale wasn't really a concern. Now a year later there is an oversupply and I am looking at a 7k+ hit on a one year old sled by the time I'm realistic and figure in taxes and a few mods. Not to mention the POS sled was unrideable all of last year due to a combination of factory and dealer mistakes. Long story short... resale is the real killer. I'm probably going to get "priced out"- not really because I can't afford it, but I am starting to feel that there are better ways I can spend that kind of dough. I applaud Cat for the pricing of the base 858. It's nice to have a capable option that isn't 20k.

iroc1132

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2008
SE Idaho
It doesn't seem that you can get the plain alpha in a 165. 153 only... I went that direction first, but couldn't get the track I wanted.
Asides of that... You are correct sir! Its all about the creature comforts and being plush. Especially when it comes to vehicles...

M
Jan 26, 2013
I would love to have access to real #'s. Curious if any reluctance from consumers is offset by the increased MSRP. Unfortunately there is no way of knowing how many people didn't purchase based solely on the inflation. I do know if profits suffer, quality will diminish before the price does. In that scenario we all will be on junk.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I would love to have access to real #'s. Curious if any reluctance from consumers is offset by the increased MSRP. Unfortunately there is no way of knowing how many people didn't purchase based solely on the inflation. I do know if profits suffer, quality will diminish before the price does. In that scenario we all will be on junk.
Ah yes... the Polaris business model!

There are probably a lot of people that wish there were more track options on the base model.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I made my down payment last night, fully opted out Mountain Cat, ES & ATAC. I was going to pass on ATAC, but found out it was only $100 more to add it, why not. But man I can honestly saying I'm having buyers remorse. I'm happy a new sled is coming but the pricing is taking the excitement right out of it. How much is to much and at what point do you tap out buying new? I'm there. I'm committed to this one but moving forward I don't know. What do you guys think? Have we reached a peak? There are some great deals on '24 Doos and Poos right now, will the industry swing back that direction? I understand a poor snow year impacts things, but I think its more then that. I think more and more people are getting priced out of the game. Thoughts???
Not too much because you pulled the trigger. What track length did you go with?

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Not too much because you pulled the trigger. What track length did you go with?
:D ...this time!

165 - hope that was the right choice. Stuck with my plan going in but sounds like the Catalyst chassis is not as squirrely as the Ascender so maybe a 154 would be ok. The 154 Alpha Ascender was just a touch to reactive for me, I'm getting old...hahaha!!!

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Definitely getting to high. The last sled I snowchecked was a 2020 165 mountain cat es. It was like $12,700. Same sled now is listed at $19,599. I know inflation is bad now with all the building back better, but is it really $7k in 5 years difference? Are they $7k better than what I have now? That being said I plan on ordering one, but it’ll be the last one in a long time if prices keep trending the way they are.
That is where I'm at. I'm keeping my 19 elevated twin. Will update the top end and replace a few bearings this summer and ride it when the snow conditions are not great. Ride the 25 on the big pow days. Should get a lot of years out of both.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
That is where I'm at. I'm keeping my 19 elevated twin. Will update the top end and replace a few bearings this summer and ride it when the snow conditions are not great. Ride the 25 on the big pow days. Should get a lot of years out of both.
That’s kinda what I’m thinking if I keep the ‘20. Convert it to a two railer for the late season stuff then have the catalyst for the deep days. Just put my deposit down for the Mc es atac, so hopefully it’s all it’s cracked up to be.

dunatyk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
That’s kinda what I’m thinking if I keep the ‘20. Convert it to a two railer for the late season stuff then have the catalyst for the deep days. Just put my deposit down for the Mc es atac, so hopefully it’s all it’s cracked up to be.
Vern,
I am local to your area. What dealer did you snow check at?

Untamed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
McCall, ID
I bought a new 05 M 7 154 for a little over $8000 if remember right. That thing ripped with the new style chassis. Polaris buddies were still grabbing their ankles while trying to stand up. Last new sled. been buying used ever since. Maybe this 858 will be another major milestone sled.

Premium Features