• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Are Sled Prices Getting to High?

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
That's terrible, and I pray for healing in your current health crisis. The one problem I have with Dave Ramsay's approach to debt is it can throw people's life off balance just as badly as a pile of debt. Taking a holistic approach, not skimping on a healthy diet or leaving some time and resources available to recreate and stay connected to family and community, might take twice as long, but you'll come out much healthier and well-adjusted. Part of the problem too, is things that are nice to have being pushed as "needs." My parents could never realistically have afforded to take us to Disneyland, for instance, but we went backpacking at least once every summer, and I'd challenge anyone who'd suggest a trip to Disneyland was more valuable than that.

There are so many other ways that happens though, especially when it comes to raising kids (like saving money for college - as a college graduate, I say why?), and people end up either working themselves to death, piling up debt, or both for them. And debt is a stressor in itself. There's a clear argument when it comes to mortgage for a house, but financing rapidly-depreciating assets like cars and RVs and sleds will never make sense to me. When it comes to sledding, a Dad and kids will have just as much fun and learn a lot more fixing up some old junk and riding it until they can afford better. Or, if you're like me and Dad's not interested or mechanically inclined, you just tinker on what you can get your hands on and don't even start riding until well into adulthood. Never in a million years would I trade the family I've got for a rich Dad who was never around - or worse.

Another thing to consider is just how spoiled we've been; historically, that never lasts, and the warning signs are out. Personally, I'm getting ready for a storm. God willing, we can turn things around, but we've got some rocky years coming, and the frugality my grandparents lived by could quickly transition from something we'd call quaint to a matter of life and death. "Business as usual" is already out the window. Communism killed around one-hundred million people last century, but you're hearing the same rhetoric with just a tweak these days. To anyone who'd say "they'd never do that," take an honest look at what happened in 2020. I hate to be a Debbie Downer ("nobody likes a Debbie Downer, Stan - mmmkay?"), but I guess I can't help myself since we've strayed into some existential discussions already... I try to be optimistic, and sometimes you've just gotta laugh - I think my refrain from now on, when people ask me how I am will be "Tomorrow the gulag, my friend, but today, life is good!"

Finally, things like you're going through @josh@andeon, should remind us all that there are more important things than sleds and riding, or money, of course. I know of at least two others on here who've been fighting cancer this past year, and hopefully we all take the opportunity to be thankful for the life we have and those around us. No matter how you live, you eventually run out of tomorrows - you've gotta make the best of today.

Over budget

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 13, 2019
Centerville utah
That's terrible, and I pray for healing in your current health crisis. The one problem I have with Dave Ramsay's approach to debt is it can throw people's life off balance just as badly as a pile of debt. Taking a holistic approach, not skimping on a healthy diet or leaving some time and resources available to recreate and stay connected to family and community, might take twice as long, but you'll come out much healthier and well-adjusted. Part of the problem too, is things that are nice to have being pushed as "needs." My parents could never realistically have afforded to take us to Disneyland, for instance, but we went backpacking at least once every summer, and I'd challenge anyone who'd suggest a trip to Disneyland was more valuable than that.

There are so many other ways that happens though, especially when it comes to raising kids (like saving money for college - as a college graduate, I say why?), and people end up either working themselves to death, piling up debt, or both for them. And debt is a stressor in itself. There's a clear argument when it comes to mortgage for a house, but financing rapidly-depreciating assets like cars and RVs and sleds will never make sense to me. When it comes to sledding, a Dad and kids will have just as much fun and learn a lot more fixing up some old junk and riding it until they can afford better. Or, if you're like me and Dad's not interested or mechanically inclined, you just tinker on what you can get your hands on and don't even start riding until well into adulthood. Never in a million years would I trade the family I've got for a rich Dad who was never around - or worse.

Another thing to consider is just how spoiled we've been; historically, that never lasts, and the warning signs are out. Personally, I'm getting ready for a storm. God willing, we can turn things around, but we've got some rocky years coming, and the frugality my grandparents lived by could quickly transition from something we'd call quaint to a matter of life and death. "Business as usual" is already out the window. Communism killed around one-hundred million people last century, but you're hearing the same rhetoric with just a tweak these days. To anyone who'd say "they'd never do that," take an honest look at what happened in 2020. I hate to be a Debbie Downer ("nobody likes a Debbie Downer, Stan - mmmkay?"), but I guess I can't help myself since we've strayed into some existential discussions already... I try to be optimistic, and sometimes you've just gotta laugh - I think my refrain from now on, when people ask me how I am will be "Tomorrow the gulag, my friend, but today, life is good!"

Finally, things like you're going through @josh@andeon, should remind us all that there are more important things than sleds and riding, or money, of course. I know of at least two others on here who've been fighting cancer this past year, and hopefully we all take the opportunity to be thankful for the life we have and those around us. No matter how you live, you eventually run out of tomorrows - you've gotta make the best of today.
My Dad always said don’t be afraid to die. Be afraid to not live enough. Me and my dad and later when I had two sons went sledding every weekend there was snow because of him. Now it’s just me and my boys doing the same thing. Do the things you love while you can. 🙏🙏

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
My Dad always said don’t be afraid to die. Be afraid to not live enough. Me and my dad and later when I had two sons went sledding every weekend there was snow because of him. Now it’s just me and my boys doing the same thing. Do the things you love while you can. 🙏🙏
That is why i always tell people to dive in and live instead of waiting to see how first year stuff works out. You're not getting any younger. Why spend your whole life waiting. You might get let down once in a while but , as a whole, i bet your experience is better.

R
Nov 23, 2015
Did they discount it or straight MSRP? I want one too but seeing all the polaris hold over boosts and 9R's here in Idaho for 16995 makes it tough....

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
A vintage Arctic Cat page I follow just posted this comparison of old sleds to today's equivalent model. Adjusted for inflation and features. No mountain sleds obviously since those weren't a dedicated model until recently, but for the performance models it really isn't bad for the performance and features we have now compared to what we got back then. He had a few paragraphs posted with this that explained the criteria, but I'm not getting into that.

FB_IMG_1709320353146.jpg

Premium Features