• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ebay Clutches

N
Jul 23, 2008
Can anybody comment on the quality/durability of the unbranded primary clutches found on eBay? Need a new primary for an 05 M7.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I didn't know there was such a thing. I wouldn't buy it, not because it isn't any good (maybe it is, maybe it isn't), but because of the lack of information. Is it balanced, does it come calibrated, who makes it and where, is the crank taper exactly the same, does it use Arctic Cat weights, springs, etc?

Syxxes Performance is trying an aftermarket clutch on one of their machines. I forget the brand, but it looks interesting. Looks old fashioned, but if works and is more durable and doesn't eat belts, looks don't matter.

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
Man, just a few years ago I bought a Cat clutch for about $330 from arcticcatpartsnation.com. Just looked and they're now going for $490... Our money isn't worth crap anymore...

FWIW, that aftermarket clutch is only $300 on Amazon... Just search p/n 0746-435.

For an M7 or smaller sled, I'd probably give it a try. Nobody has put feedback on Amazon yet... If it fails, use Amazon to get a replacement or refund... ??
Alternately, you should be able to run the old 9-tower clutch from an 800. 0725-370. It's 33mm taper, but uses different pins and weights. It's also $50 cheaper from the site above. I have one ready to go for when the clutch on my M8 gives up...

N
Jul 23, 2008
Syxxes Performance is trying an aftermarket clutch on one of their machines. I forget the brand, but it looks interesting. Looks old fashioned, but if works and is more durable and doesn't eat belts, looks don't matter.
Saw that. I'll probably need this new one before the reviews are in on the one Syxxes is testing. I think it's about the same $$$ as a new Cat clutch but if it lasts longer I agree looks don't matter.

Man, just a few years ago I bought a Cat clutch for about $330 from arcticcatpartsnation.com. Just looked and they're now going for $490... Our money isn't worth crap anymore...
My buddy who replaced the primary on an M8 a few years back said the same. Crazy that they cost so much now.

Thanks for the comments and 9 tower idea. There is feedback on the REALLY cheap unbranded Amazon clutches ($~180) - spider blew up first or second ride. I should probably just shell out for an OEM unit. The extra $150 is probably worth the piece of mind that it won't explode prematurely.

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
Looks like Amazon has a OE clutch for $450... That's getting closer to the $320 that it used to cost...

H
Mar 26, 2019
I didn't know there was such a thing. I wouldn't buy it, not because it isn't any good (maybe it is, maybe it isn't), but because of the lack of information. Is it balanced, does it come calibrated, who makes it and where, is the crank taper exactly the same, does it use Arctic Cat weights, springs, etc?

its a powerbloc PWB 80 he has installed in his white M8000

i think i'm going to try one on my 2011 M8

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Can anybody comment on the quality/durability of the unbranded primary clutches found on eBay? Need a new primary for an 05 M7.

Bought 1 and didn't make 1 ride. Bushings seized, rollers ate 2 of the new weights, jammed up so engine was hard to pull over. Seller refunded all my money inc shipping. Knew they had a bad product. Looks nice on the shelf.

S
Apr 7, 2010
Well funkelshithead, I bought one and cant find the right cam bolt bushings. Mine came balanced but not calibrated. Still havent got it all back together, having a local machine shop make some bushings that fit.

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
Frick. Price going up FAST!!! Hope mine makes it another season... I have a spare, but it's a 9 tower clutch...
Price of a clutch up ~80% but the fed is telling us inflation is only 7%...

Honestly, for an M7, I'd try a china clutch... Especially if you don't plan to beat it like it owes you money...

S
Apr 7, 2010
Update: my Chinese clutch roller washers disintegrated and the rollers stopped rolling and chewed up my new weights, lucky the whole thing didnt blow. 3 rides! Unfortunately I would advise to not buy them, found a good used one, took it apart and cleaned everything really well, only 1 ride on it hope it lasts me a while. It's my kid's sled so he doesnt run it too hard.

Premium Features