• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Does anyone here tear out their foam under the hood/panels?

D
Dec 15, 2020
So, I came from many years of being a Doo rider and I always pulled the foam out from the engine bay for a couple reasons.. A. is when they got wet in past years on a Doo it added weight. B. I don't care about the noise reduction I like to hear what's going on down there anyway. C. I seemed to make the engine and clutches run cooler. Anyone see any reason on a N/A or boost to keep foam in?

D
Dec 15, 2020
I know this isn't a super fix for anything but would love to hear from TRS on his thoughts about clutch temps and others like sheetmeatelfab on how they prep their sleds..I'm Just guessing here but I be Burrant pulls them out..?? IDK

M
Jan 22, 2019
Denver, CO
after 3 days on my matryx I pulled side panels in garage when I got home and foam was completely frozen, left side had a bunch of snow built up behind foam. I ripped them all out.... side panels were crazy heavy. used a heat gun to get rid of most the gunk. removed on my 18 800 too but wasn't as OCD with the cleaning

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I rip it all out. I just don't care about the residue or in spots the left behind foam. That stuff holds an unbelievable amount of water.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Rip it out also, then I use gas, solvents to get the glue off.

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
One of first things I did too mine get rid of it all. Big sponges for water . Clean up the glue with some adhesive remover or goo gone . I put some heat shield material where my can is close to the panel

06307539-BE05-4409-BC4D-BD205F9178E0.jpeg 1CD1BDCE-122E-4BF5-904F-432055A70837.jpeg

Last edited:
D
Dec 15, 2020
Nah it’s not 2011 anymore
Funny thing is from posts above people saying the foam is pretty much the same as 2011 and will hold some serious extra weight when wet and frozen so I pulled mine day one 2 weeks ago and don't feel a bit bad for doing it! My 2010 Doo Rev ran cooler and felt extra nimble late day one and day two of all riding trips from that day on... Those boat anchors are serious weight when wet and frozen! I remember pulling the first panel foam out of that rev after it was wet and frozen and I bet it weighed 4lbs. that was just one side panel.. Go ahead do what you do but pulling them helps me.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Funny thing is from posts above people saying the foam is pretty much the same as 2011 and will hold some serious extra weight when wet and frozen so I pulled mine day one 2 weeks ago and don't feel a bit bad for doing it! My 2010 Doo Rev ran cooler and felt extra nimble late day one and day two of all riding trips from that day on... Those boat anchors are serious weight when wet and frozen! I remember pulling the first panel foam out of that rev after it was wet and frozen and I bet it weighed 4lbs. that was just one side panel.. Go ahead do what you do but pulling them helps me.
Then why even start the thread ???
Your mind was made up already.

Last edited:

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
in my mind there is no real reason to pull it anymore , it's closed cell foam so it doesn't hold much water, and i'd rather have a quieter ride

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Once you pull the foam I highly recommend cutting some aluminum or tin flashing to fit inside the panels to protect the clutch side from the clutch and the exhaust side from the can, when rolled on its side and the panels flex in. I learned this years ago and it is part up my set-up for any sled. Just glue it in with GOOP glue.

Premium Features