• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Does anyone here tear out their foam under the hood/panels?

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
I'm sure we will all agree with you.... when we are 65 and ride trails all day ?
i'm not 65 and i don't ride trails at all , the foam is closed cell ,that means it can't absorb water , it can get ice on it . i have built many light weight sleds and foam is on of the least effective ways to remove weight , if you think your saving something ,it's in your head

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
The foam inside the engine compartment holds an unbelievable amount of water. Call it whatever you want to call it but anyone can go out to their sled right now and squeeze the foam and water will come out. I highly doubt there is enough heat to dry the foam out why you are riding. Removing the foam is the cheapest way to cut weight on your sled.

T
Oct 16, 2017
Meh seems like a pita for a limited return. I have not removed the side panel mid day and been “taken aback” by the weight yet. To another posters point - if it’s closed cell foam it’s not absorbing much.

Frankly I dumped the stock exhaust for a diamond s and didn’t notice much. Looks cool, sounds good, nice to have a warm lunch. Worth it sure - but if you are barely noticing that, you aren’t noticing foam lol.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
This stocck panel foam absorbs a lot of water. If you don't believe me, take your panel off (in a heated garage or bring into your house) and see how much water you can squeeze out once it's not frozen anymore. This amounts to pounds of actual sled weight.

And agree with previous posters that most people's thawing/drying regimen doesn't accomplish a full drying of the panels. I can leave my sled for 3-4 days with panels off in front of a small heater and fan and still have water dripping out in mass when I squeeze it. Closed cell foam still absorbs lots of moisture in this application.

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
The foam on these is not closed cell, neither the light grey or the darker variant, both are quite porous and absorb a lot of water. Water beads off closed cell, like a ridge-rest sleeping pad–not this foam, soaks right in. I also agree it does not thaw quickly. Water streams out of the foam when squeezed after 5 days in my garage, sled's dry in a day.

This weekend I was getting a fair bit of ice build up around the front "triangular" portion of the Matryx side panels, as well as around the panel latches. Only a minor annoyance, but enough that I think I'll be pulling the foam. Weight savings aside, all that moisture can't be helping things.

D
Dec 15, 2020
Removing the foam adds quite a bit space under the hood also and I totally believe it's actually enough to help with air flow and cooling.

C
Dec 14, 2020
i'm not 65 and i don't ride trails at all , the foam is closed cell ,that means it can't absorb water , it can get ice on it . i have built many light weight sleds and foam is on of the least effective ways to remove weight , if you think your saving something ,it's in your head

If you've never gotten the foam wet, you haven't ridden it.

It may be ounces before it's wet, but it's pounds after, and it won't be fully dry until next fall.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I costs approximately zero dollars to tear the foam out and takes approximately zero mechanical ability.
Apparently when you do a bunch of acid you can't afford zero dollars and have negative ability ?
Haven't got the foam wet on my boost. Your right, i Haven't ridden it.
He's too busy getting his wife's wet ?

Premium Features