• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Deep snow bog

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Did the boon docker fill the engine compartment with exhaust?
I’m wondering if the lack of a seal, poor fitment, etc, is filling the engine bay with exhaust and when the vacuum valve opens on the air box the engine is sucking hot exhaust.

Yes I believe that was main issue.

M
Dec 11, 2018
I did have favorable results switching to Silbers Lightweight silencer.

No bog with snow sitting on the top of the hood, or in turns in either direction. However, it’s too loud for my liking.

I haven’t had the opportunity to switch back to stock clutching and stock exhaust to test. With the snow prediction in IP this week, may have an opportunity to test some more this weekend.

brandon227

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2010
North East Wyoming
I haven’t had any trouble with a bog since I switched to the Diamond S can. I haven’t had the opportunity to ride in real deep snow either since the day I experienced the bog. I can say that I can’t replicate the bog by piling snow on the intakes though.

R
Aug 25, 2012
Kamas, UT
IMO, it's simply bad Ski Doo design. I've had several Doos (they're all I've ever ridden) and they all bogged in deep snow, not for any technical reason like aftermarket intake filters, or engine bay exhaust due to improper chamber intake valves etc. etc. The deep snow covers the vents 4-6" deep and it just chokes off the fresh air. Finally on my '19, Ski DOO put the fresh air intakes on the side of the hood with a vertical face, and further behind the front of the sled making it much more difficult for snow to clog the fresh air intakes. That '19 never bogged, ever. But for the '22 turbo, BRP engineers decided to go back to the fantastic design of putting the intakes on the horizontal face of the hood, and towards the front of the sled, making them clog constantly in deep snow. I think I am going to add a frogskin on the left vertical side of the hood, and am betting that will completely eliminate the issue or make it 95% better. While I generally love Ski Doos, they don't ALWAYS engineer things properly, as anyone who's ever installed their adventure bumper (front or back) can whole-heartedly attest. But I can tell you, it sure sucks ass when in the deep, when you want that turbo to power you up and out more than perhaps at any other time, the ****ing thing chokes and leaves you sinking. This year, more than any other, I really REALLY want to meet someone at BRP and kick him in the nuts.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
skip to 8:30. this guy tapes up his vents on the lightweight hood at 10k feet and rips around for a half hour. the sled runs fine because it's pulling in air from the engine compartment via the vacuum operated intake or the "air duct assembly" as brp calls it. these sleds let in too much powder into the engine compartment when in really deep snow so maybe the screen on that auxiliary intake is clogged. or the spring controlling that valve is stuck or too tight.

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
I switched to the Diamond S can and added a Frogzskin to both sides of hood, no more bog. See picture below
cbd5814ee2bfcaad9e3bfbe049d8d08e.jpg

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
I switched to the Diamond S can and added a Frogzskin to both sides of hood, no more bog. See picture below
cbd5814ee2bfcaad9e3bfbe049d8d08e.jpg

Nice job with the frog skin.

Have you noticed anything odd in the midrange with the Diamond S, from just off idle to wide open or a cruising around about 6,000 the stab it?

My 22 has some odd stalling of motor RPM under certain throttle positions with the Diamond S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
No I haven’t. I installed the MVM belt drive beginning of year and I Feel like the low end and mid range is snappier now. Combined with DJ (Ibackshift) clutching. Stock, no tunes. I never noticed any low/mid range problems though before.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Reading through some of these comments, some of you should of stuck to a NA sled, and have no experience on a aftermarket turbo.
Kick BRP in the nuts??? Really? These sleds are amazing.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Swiping the air intake is just a compulsive habit for me..
Best stock sled I’ve ever owned!
Have not been out in the snow this year..
I can not wait for Deep snow Bog!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
I feel the vent in that position will be more prone to tearing when tree riding.

Your probably right. Frogskin vents are pretty inexpensive so if I tear one, no biggie but I feel they flow more air, which Is why I choose it, I carry a couple extra, just in case or Gorilla tape worst case. I also like that they match the factory vents, which I’ve had no issue with.

Last edited:
Premium Features