• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

plugged intake vents in deep snow

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
The intake assembly does fit and is available. 1208914
The screen was on back order. 5815374
You cannot purchase the valve separately from Polaris.
I have installed the assembly on my ‘22 Boost.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
The intake assembly does fit and is available. 1208914
The screen was on back order. 5815374
You cannot purchase the valve separately from Polaris.
I have installed the assembly on my ‘22 Boost.
Did you find a significant difference with the valve installed on the Boost? I have a spare valve I took off a ruined air box. I would be curious as to that would contribute to detonation. That's about the worse spot you could possibly take air from. I don't know if hot air is exactly better than no air...

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I haven’t witnessed a det event. But with that said the Boost soft dets often if you data log it. It goes into correction.

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
gonna see if I can come up with some kind of snow deflector to put on the sides of the hood in front of the intake vents and try that. I dont remember my old PRO intake vents getting covered nearly as bad in deep pow as this sled.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
gonna see if I can come up with some kind of snow deflector to put on the sides of the hood in front of the intake vents and try that. I dont remember my old PRO intake vents getting covered nearly as bad in deep pow as this sled.
I never had the Pro but my Axys always struggled in crazy deep snow too. I've never owned a Polaris that didn't have intake problems when it's silly deep.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
What I want to know is why the Ski Doo doesn't have problems. Rode probably a top 5 deepest day last week and I constantly was cleaning snow from intakes to fight the low end bog on my Boost, where my buddies on Turbo Rs (which intakes look like a dinner plate carrying around 8" of fresh snow on top) never seem to bog.
Long stroke motor with lots of torque is my guess. I have no issue with my 23 Matryx 850 N/A and it was very deep and heavy.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Long stroke motor with lots of torque is my guess. I have no issue with my 23 Matryx 850 N/A and it was very deep and heavy.
No need to explain why you use your skis ? You ride the poor man's sled with no power. You should invest in a 9R or Boost and you'll be much less worried about ski pressure ?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
No need to explain why you use your skis ? You ride the poor man's sled with no power. You should invest in a 9R or Boost and you'll be much less worried about ski pressure ?
I am taking years of experience riding different track lengths to base this on, not just one of my current sleds. But yes, I want to be on a 9R or Boost.

blindman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
have video of us riding cold smoke go anywhere pow. not often as got to catch it Quick. -34 seely... -17 hurley... many days at sic with -6 or so fresh storm. maybe the polaris god needs to get around some to develop the sled for everyone?

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
have video of us riding cold smoke go anywhere pow. not often as got to catch it Quick. -34 seely... -17 hurley... many days at sic with -6 or so fresh storm. maybe the polaris god needs to get around some to develop the sled for everyone?
I don't think anyone is talking depth. The kind of snow is what we are talking about. Colorado has weird sugar snow.

blindman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
cool. hope to get there someday. just got off the phone with J.P. I also now have a broken primary spring.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Just the other day we were riding very deep cold snow and my sled started bogging. Not just from the side intakes, which I regularly clear out of habit, but something else was happening.

I pulled off my hood and found an ice crust around the air box. Fortunately it was sunny, so I could pull the large chunks out, but it appeared obvious at that point that blocking the hood vents would be the only way to prevent this in the future.

Any good kits to plug those hood vent holes, especially the rear most ones that just load the airbox area when it's super deep?

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Heres a pic of the 23' Polaris airbox with the valve in it. You can only order the frog skin cover separately. You have to buy the whole airbox to get the valve. Valve is pretty much identical to the one skidoo has used for many years. The valve is spring loaded and opens only under higher vacuum when the intake vents on the hood are plugged with snow.

318364951_588998713233131_561999052884750981_n.jpg

Premium Features