• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

plugged intake vents in deep snow

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
Has any deep snow riders come up with any ideas on how to keep their intake vents open while playing in deep powder snow? it sucks having to keep stopping and wiping them off so that the motor can breath. I put an extra vent on my air box and made my own headlight delete but everything gets covered on deep days.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Has any deep snow riders come up with any ideas on how to keep their intake vents open while playing in deep powder snow? it sucks having to keep stopping and wiping them off so that the motor can breath. I put an extra vent on my air box and made my own headlight delete but everything gets covered on deep days.
Ibexx has nice looking intakes. $$$$ and out of stock last I saw.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
What I want to know is why the Ski Doo doesn't have problems. Rode probably a top 5 deepest day last week and I constantly was cleaning snow from intakes to fight the low end bog on my Boost, where my buddies on Turbo Rs (which intakes look like a dinner plate carrying around 8" of fresh snow on top) never seem to bog.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
What I want to know is why the Ski Doo doesn't have problems. Rode probably a top 5 deepest day last week and I constantly was cleaning snow from intakes to fight the low end bog on my Boost, where my buddies on Turbo Rs (which intakes look like a dinner plate carrying around 8" of fresh snow on top) never seem to bog.
Doos have always been stellar. My 18 turbo you couldn't make it bog. One time it was loaded with snow and wouldn't bog but it would pull so hard and quit or level off. It wouldn't pull any more. With the dinner plate you could get another yard on. Guys i know that got in the huge dump at rabbit ears said even the doos were bogging. Just haven't seen it

Last edited:

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
My buddy has this vent and I’m stock. This last weekend we both seemed to clog up equally ie - didn’t seem to help.
I suppose if a guy wants more intake surface area the only other option would be to drill a hole in your hood and add a snorkel... but heres my crappy take on it- if the Ibexx vent is not helping you likely have other issues creating the bog- collapsing charge tube or exhaust bog.

For next season I am planning to do a left side Ibexx vent, aftermarket charge tube, and a tunnel dump. Hopefully that eliminates all the possible issues and I don't have to worry about it.

I've heard from multiple people that the Fire N Ice under hood draw vent does nothing. I have no experience with it... but I would think more surface area would be needed, but then you are likely drawing a fair amount of hot air.

Chadly is correct, Doo has it figured out. Rode a couple extremely deep days on my Gen 5 and never had a single issue. 12" of snow rides on top of those vents and gauge... it doesn't even make sense that it works ?

mt.sledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Saskatchewan
It’s almost like Polaris has never tested these sleds in the real deep snow. Send a test team to Revelstoke and don’t let them go home until they fix it. I just got back from Revy and on day 3 of 5 days the snow was so deep that I couldn’t go 100 yards without having to wipe my intakes clean. I’ve got an extended exhaust deflector and also a silicone 90 on my turbo inlet. Those 2 things got rid of all the issues I’ve had with the right carve bog. The only issue I have left is the plugged intakes on super deep days. Come on Polaris smarten up and fix this. It’s been happening since the pro chassis in 2011.

skibumm

Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2004
Utah
You can just put the valve in on an old box. 2.5" hole saw does the trick. There is also a screen that adheres over the valve.
Do you happen to know part number or name? Is there any reason to upgrade airbox if you are doing the valve?

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Do you happen to know part number or name? Is there any reason to upgrade airbox if you are doing the valve?
Not sure but I do know Polaris sent the old airbox to me even though it's the same part number. I think they did it on the 23s to alleviate the collapsed intake tubes.

blindman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
It’s almost like Polaris has never tested these sleds in the real deep snow. Send a test team to Revelstoke and don’t let them go home until they fix it. I just got back from Revy and on day 3 of 5 days the snow was so deep that I couldn’t go 100 yards without having to wipe my intakes clean. I’ve got an extended exhaust deflector and also a silicone 90 on my turbo inlet. Those 2 things got rid of all the issues I’ve had with the right carve bog. The only issue I have left is the plugged intakes on super deep days. Come on Polaris smarten up and fix this. It’s been happening since the pro chassis in 2011.
thought burandt was the test mule. maybe we need three mules sista sarah to take over. cuz it aint workin on burandts end. lol

Premium Features