• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Decals on side panels

Dec 5, 2015
Minnesota
I smacked the side panel and it looks like there is a clear coat over it and the decals. You can see the clear separating from the plastic. I wanted to remove the graphics and end with a plain red panel. The Polaris decal doesn't even seem to have much adhesive on it like when I stripped the decals off my 12 IQ and 97 Indy.
Am i going to have areas that you can tell decals are gone and edges of clear coat visible.
IMG_20160314_235754_zpsv02qecto.jpg

IMG_20160314_235629_zpsfa9ae7hd.jpg

Last edited:

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
I was wondering this myself since there is some decal damage on my "new" 2015 sled... subscribed to see what people have to say...

W
Jan 20, 2012
There is no clear coat over the decals which can be removed fairly easy with the aid of a heat gun. At least there wasn't on a friends 2015 which we put a wrap on.

Dec 5, 2015
Minnesota
There is on mine. You can see it lifting from the red plastic and the decal itself has very little adhesive on it. You wouldn't even need a heat gun, not like on my IQ or Indy

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
The new decals don't have adhesive to them like the old stuff. They are more like the wraps which go on and off much easier.

Not sure about your clear coat issue as Polaris panels are painted, then cleared, then decals put on so there should be no clear on top of them. Lots of sleds on here with the decals taken off and you can't tell.

Are you the first owner on this sled or did you buy it used? Only reason I ask is maybe a previous owner did something unique to them.

Dec 5, 2015
Minnesota
Bought it new. I see clear lifting, off the plastic around the 1/4 turn fasteners, but maybe it is under the decals. Just assumed it was on top. Was afraid to start pulling it off and it looking worse than it does now.

Dec 5, 2015
Minnesota
THANKS NorthMNsledder. I went out and looked closer. Your explaining that polaris clear coats then puts on drcsls cleared things up for me. It turns out where I banged up panel when I was pulling up the polaris decal it was actually pulling off the clear coat UNDER the decal. That's why it seemed to have no adhesive. Upon closer look at tip of decal I can pull decal off, heat will help it is stuck on fairly good.
I am still going to have area around impact with the clear coat gone. But I can pull the rest of the decals with no more damage to the clear. Unless its loose from the impact it took.
TO: SLEDHED. you can remove the decals. Be careful where the damage to decals is. Work from the end that's good towards the damage in case the clear UNDER the decal is losing adhesion to the plastic. Use heat to help removal, careful not to overheat decal and make a mess.

By the way northMNsledder we are practically neighbors. I am in Oakdale MN.

Last edited:

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Glad you found out what was going on. The pictures sure made it look like it was cleared over the decals which would have been strange. But I even went out and checked my 2013 RMK (I'm wrapping it this summer anyway) just to make sure that nothing had changed.

Not far at all, We might have to go riding!!

Dec 5, 2015
Minnesota
Glad you found out what was going on. The pictures sure made it look like it was cleared over the decals which would have been strange. But I even went out and checked my 2013 RMK (I'm wrapping it this summer anyway) just to make sure that nothing had changed.

Post on JD said Lake of the Woods got around 10" fresh yesterday guy was saying his sled was parked but he may take it back out.
Guys I ride with are considering going to Isabella on Sunday. Waiting for condition report for up there to decide for sure.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana

Come on over to MT, we should be riding until end of April at least. :)

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Post on JD said Lake of the Woods got around 10" fresh yesterday guy was saying his sled was parked but he may take it back out.
Guys I ride with are considering going to Isabella on Sunday. Waiting for condition report for up there to decide for sure.

My parents live in LOW (retired up there). They had 11" in town and about 8" down where they are about 15 miles south. But everything thawed out in the past couple weeks so it's kind of a sloppy mess right now. Fun on ATV's but I not enough to take the sled up north this weekend I don't think.

Come on over to MT, we should be riding until end of April at least. :)

I was thinking about heading that way actually or at least in that general direction for one last trip. Just trying to clear some work out of the way first. Damn job always gets in the way. LOL

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
My parents live in LOW (retired up there). They had 11" in town and about 8" down where they are about 15 miles south. But everything thawed out in the past couple weeks so it's kind of a sloppy mess right now. Fun on ATV's but I not enough to take the sled up north this weekend I don't think.

I was thinking about heading that way actually or at least in that general direction for one last trip. Just trying to clear some work out of the way first. Damn job always gets in the way. LOL
Double edged sword - the job that helps us afford the toys sometimes keeps us from playing on them when the snow is flying. Fresh snow in the valley yere today (not enough to ride anywhere), was snowing hard outside now, and last I heard 12+ inches of fresh in the mountains in places on top of 5+ feet of spring concrete...

Premium Features