• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch recall

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Can we discuss this new belt guard a bit?

While I think it's a decent bolt on addition, it's sure a pain in the ass to pull and reinstall, and adds more stuff that can fall down into the clutch area. Also its mounting attachments are one more thing to hit the back of your hands on while changing belts.

How many people will run vs. toss this thing? Were there issues with the secondary that prompted this? My experience was only the '22 primary clutch failure, but the secondary was unimpacted by primary problems. Maybe they can better design a system for 25 that incorporates a fully removable clutch guard that makes changing belts much easier? That also probably means relocating and/or redesigning the oil reservoir.

While I know some guys had their legs gashed open by clutches failing and spinning through the plastic, this solution is annoying in my first removal/installation effort.
Whats involved in pulling it? I feel like if you have pull the T40(45?) and one or two plastic push rivets its not too big of deal.

Just a couple 1/4 turn fasteners holding on the shield itself?

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
So, do you know what the build dates are? Easy for us to check right?

I don't have it handy, but it's out there. There's multiple clutch recalls (P22, P85, electric start), all with their own dates. But my point to @Thatzme was just to say I wouldn't worry about your clutch if your VIN doesn't fall in the recall. It was just particular runs that had issue.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Whats involved in pulling it? I feel like if you have pull the T40(45?) and one or two plastic push rivets its not too big of deal.

Just a couple 1/4 turn fasteners holding on the shield itself?
Yes, two 1/4 turns on the guard itself, then you have to either loosen the plastic with a bit (not included, BTW) or wrestle it back without loosening to get the guard in and out of its position. Obviously an afterthought design.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Funny how all these "advancements" in sleds are just creating a need to use more tools to take them apart.

While we're gaining lighter weight and power, we're also losing time. At least these aren't ski doos with screws to take off the damn hood.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Funny how all these "advancements" in sleds are just creating a need to use more tools to take them apart.

While we're gaining lighter weight and power, we're also losing time. At least these aren't ski doos with screws to take off the damn hood.
The 6 years I rode Ski Doo, I took the hood off 1 time on the mountain and even that time it didn't really help me solve my problem. Polaris seems like you need to remove the hood every couple rides. There is a reason they have those cheese little fastners 😂

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
My 2022 N/A not on any recall list just let go today… balanced by Indy Specialty last season… thank you Polaris for that 4-year snowcheck warranty

Ouch, sorry to see it. What's the build date on that clutch?

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Holy crap Batman! The pic really tells a story. I’m curious to know the metallurgical ingredients of the shaft. Ie What was the harden8ng process? Why did they change from previous years? Did they change? Also, as best as you can, describe the noise before, during and after the clutch inciden. Thank you

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
My 2022 N/A not on any recall list just let go today… balanced by Indy Specialty last season… thank you Polaris for that 4-year snowcheck warranty
My 09 dragon broke in the same spot, real bastard to remove the other piece. ended up using a die grinder and a chisel to get it off, then i checked the run out. But you got warranty so that is a them problem

HunterMcC1

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 6, 2011
Girdwood, AK
Holy crap Batman! The pic really tells a story. I’m curious to know the metallurgical ingredients of the shaft. Ie What was the harden8ng process? Why did they change from previous years? Did they change? Also, as best as you can, describe the noise before, during and after the clutch inciden. Thank you
As far as the noise goes, I had a slight rattling noise for about 30 seconds, then it sounded like a blew a belt… like when you detonate a belt in to a bunch of pieces, except that the belt flew out the side of the sled intact… my panel never came all the way off, the front tab stayed attached… when I took the panel off… have the clutch was gone… it was sitting 6 feet behind me in the snow… didn’t fly far

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Unfortunately this seems to be happening more with the larger taper cut into the P85.

Seen a few in the last 3 years.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Swung by the dealer today to grab this year's supply of belts and oil, and check on the status of the 9r. They just got a shipment of clutches, some e-start ones included. Mine is scheduled to get the fix on Tuesday, then I can finally take it home.

Also he mentioned a slave bolt that they'll include that you torque to install the clutch, then remove and install the actual clutch bolt separately at a different torque spec, first I've heard of that.
Even more interesting.

The slave bolt procedure is only on the 9R.

Just put a new P22 on my boost and the procedure is the same as before.

IMG_0867.jpeg
Another note.
Indy specialty weights have zero conflict with the new billet spider.

Last edited:

mrooks17

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2021
Ohio
Is this from the bolt breaking or failure of another area on the primary?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Is this from the bolt breaking or failure of another area on the primary?
When i’ve see failures like that we always chalked it up to a metal failure in the main clutch post. Often wearing out of the bushings and surfaces in a clutch will cause the clutch to stick, bind flop around and lack performance.

In all my years of running P85 clutches i had the best luck running them 700 ish miles, replacing them with new and selling the used one. (Instant performance refresh)

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
There are a few that do that and when mine did it it was quickly replaced by Polaris. This was back in 2014. A buddy had same problem but he dropped his sled off a sled deck on to the clutch side. Didn't last long after that.
When i’ve see failures like that we always chalked it up to a metal failure in the main clutch post. Often wearing out of the bushings and surfaces in a clutch will cause the clutch to stick, bind flop around and lack performance.

In all my years of running P85 clutches i had the best luck running them 700 ish miles, replacing them with new and selling the used one. (Instant performance refresh)
Not a terrible idea as the price difference won't be much different than a rebuild.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Even more interesting.

The slave bolt procedure is only on the 9R.

Just put a new P22 on my boost and the procedure is the same as before.

View attachment 413152
Another note.
Indy specialty weights have zero conflict with the new billet spider.
There’s something weird going on with primary. The belt marks are kinda different but I’m not really knowing

Premium Features