• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch recall

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
When i’ve see failures like that we always chalked it up to a metal failure in the main clutch post. Often wearing out of the bushings and surfaces in a clutch will cause the clutch to stick, bind flop around and lack performance.

In all my years of running P85 clutches i had the best luck running them 700 ish miles, replacing them with new and selling the used one. (Instant performance refresh)
Perfect, because Polaris replaced my primary at 700 miles as a recall on my 850 NA👍🏻

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
Build date is 10/08/2021… sled is just shy of 2400 miles… it’s headed to the dealer this morning… the dealers in Anchorage are pretty good, so 🤞🤞
That looks like 10/09/2021 to me. One day before the affected date of 10/10/2021.

HunterMcC1

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 6, 2011
Girdwood, AK
Finally chatted with the dealer today… sounds like a new crank… warranty claim submitted to Polaris… and the wait continues… no estimated time frame to fix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Another heads up.
I would have your dealer check the spider and jam nut torque on the recall replacement.
I had a new warranty replacement P85 that I spun the spider off by hand.

Tjyak50

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 26, 2019
Alpine, Wy
Glad I checked this thread. 2023 9r with recall done. I bought the T60 and was able to get a few pulls on the torque wrench before hitting the 110ftlbs setting.

Guess I’ll check frequently.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Another heads up.
I would have your dealer check the spider and jam nut torque on the recall replacement.
Went and checked mine, it was 85#.

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
Mine was a dealer install under recall warranty being they wouldn't just give it to me. When I pulled it to send to TRS it popped off the easiest (zero effort) a clutch has every came off a sled for me. Did not check torque before hand not sure if new and no run time etc. I would highly recommend you check these. Not saying dealers aren't doing things correctly just is good practice to check.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Another heads up.
They usually come off fairly easily🤐.... woth heat ans thr 5' bar😂

Man. Polaris needs to slow down., do a few things right and they'd have most of their problems solved. Instead they go so fast they make more problems then they solve.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Just to clarify, this isn’t about the clutch bolt torque. I’m referring to the spider and spider jam nut.
The primary had the possibility of coming apart. I believe this one would have had the same flight pattern as some of the P22’s.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Man. Polaris needs to slow down., do a few things right and they'd have most of their problems solved. Instead they go so cheap they make more problems then they solve.
Heard the same thing recently from a bunch of the Polaris sponsored riders who came up looking for snow.

711 texting a sarcastic video to the engineers of fixing a demo 9R hyfax out of the crate. (Complete with sawzall revving😂)

Last edited:

HunterMcC1

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 6, 2011
Girdwood, AK
We do have good dealers in Anchorage atleast… crank is getting replaced this week… thanks TRS for the heads up about the spider! I’ll ask them to check it.

Tjyak50

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 26, 2019
Alpine, Wy
If you had a spare bolt on the trail would that help if the primary breaks? Or is the housing broken as well? And probably the piece broken off needs EZOut? Plus no torque wrench.

Please excuse me if previously covered. Just wondering on ways to get home if happened.

Since recall “fix” is if still happening?

I Re-rechecked my torque today and it was still in spec (if that matters).

What are the Best Practices final thoughts?

Tom

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
If you had a spare bolt on the trail would that help if the primary breaks? Or is the housing broken as well? And probably the piece broken off needs EZOut? Plus no torque wrench.

Please excuse me if previously covered. Just wondering on ways to get home if happened.

Since recall “fix” is if still happening?

I Re-rechecked my torque today and it was still in spec (if that matters).

What are the Best Practices final thoughts?

Tom
Mine didn't move when retorquing, too. I was riding easy though as it has been in break-in.

HunterMcC1

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 6, 2011
Girdwood, AK
Final tally for the P85 blow-up:

New crank
New clutch
New piston rings
New gaskets
New belt

All covered under warranty

Anchorage Yamaha turned it around quite quickly after they got parts!

Tjyak50

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 26, 2019
Alpine, Wy
Sounds like the failures are creeping back in.
I took a Slow Motion video of my P22 while doing track alignment today and you can clearly see the tip of the clutch flailing around like a wet noodle.
Some of that was probably video effects and maybe some the whole motor moving around.
But I am convinced they have a harmonic or torsional vibration at some frequency order that is breaking the bolt.

Same situation as they had in WWII when the big radials were getting bigger and more powerful and the propeller shafts were coming off and the cranks breaking. Uncontrolled torsional vibration. It still happens on aircraft engine when the dampers fail- motor comes apart.

It is going to need some kind of harmonic treatment to kill the problem. Not just a better bolt.
I think I'll replace my bolt anyway.

Premium Features