• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch recall

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Looks like theres a clutch recall
ede9afa822bb5b6164156735a1199d06.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Clutch, throttle block... things that are actually dangerous.

It's sad when we've lost count of the stop ride recalls over the past two years.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
That was supposed to be fixed with the 22’ clutch stop ride??
Glad mine found a P-85 thanks to TRS. That a different re all than this?

5D0A5737-6C8A-469E-A2B4-4B9D0A616761.png

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
Mines just an 850 no e start and I got the email too. Guess the p-85 is having issues now? I’m hoping they just replace the clutch!

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
We had one of our p22 that flew apart last year. It came through the panel, went over the riders head and landed on the opposite side of the sled. We found it 20 feet past the back of the sled, and it melted a hole 6 feet down.

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
Not sure how Polaris will do this? If they replace the spider as I heard, then the clutches will be way out of balance, not that there where balanced before...Polaris can not balance the fixed sheave on the P22 and it is not balanced....I will mention again the secondaries on the P22 sleds are way out of balance, they removed the defection bolt and that clutch was designed and made for it!!! don't believe me look at your secondary it has 10-14 holes OPPOSITE of the missing deflection bolt!!!

I may offer a P22 package and provide P22 clutch puller (not the same as P85) with a 1/2 drive Torx for clutch bolt, small cup of Lapping compound to LAP the clutch to the crank!! I know old school, but the P22 has so much oil on the crank taper that I believe this is one of the issues for the clutch falling off!!!! Easy to do and takes 5 min!!! then provide a Norlock lock washer system for the clutch bolt...made just for vibrating bolts...(I found some that will fit) THEN Impact the clutch bolt back on with a 1/2 impact! 150-180 lbs, the new P22 clutch bolt is a Grade 8 bolt!!! I had one tested for Rockwell...it is 38 Rockwell...If I see enough interest I will put this package together so you can do it yourself and not deal with the dealer...

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
I can’t believe you poo rides put up with this. I get that the poo chassis is a little bit better than doo, but the motor isn’t and the reliability definitely isn’t even though skidoos was sub par for 23. I tell everyone I ride with that I would have poos if I had a lot of money, but I would need 3 and still probably a skidoo.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
I can’t believe you poo rides put up with this. I get that the poo chassis is a little bit better than doo, but the motor isn’t and the reliability definitely isn’t even though skidoos was sub par for 23. I tell everyone I ride with that I would have poos if I had a lot of money, but I would need 3 and still probably a skidoo.
I have had almost no issues with my Polaris sleds, with the exception of one motor on my 2012. I tried some Doos for a while because they're supposed to be more reliable, but I still lost a motor, broke a bulkhead, and had other issues that got me towed out a few times.

I've found that reliability on a sled is just luck of the draw, you either have issues or you don't, brand doesn't make a difference. So I'm going to ride the sled that's the best ride, most predictable, and most fun, and for me that's a Polaris. It's definitely more than "A little bit better."

The recalls don't phase me one bit, at least they're fixing the issues. By the way, my wife's Expert also has a recall on it right now for a fire hazard issue.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Received the "Stop Ride Notice" regarding the clutch bolt on my 9R Slash, this is my first Polaris in a long time and I have lost track of the recalls and stop ride notices. Really expected a better quality sled than what it has turned out to be.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
Received the "Stop Ride Notice" regarding the clutch bolt on my 9R Slash, this is my first Polaris in a long time and I have lost track of the recalls and stop ride notices. Really expected a better quality sled than what it has turned out to be.
i don't know that i would have expected better quality based on their recall/stop ride history prior to the 9Rrelease. it's ridiculous. sucks but hopefully it'll be ironed out before the season or the next recall.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
It'll also be very interesting to see how this (or more) stop ride recalls on current model sleds will impact delivery of 24 models.

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
I ride a NA850 and got the notice, .I wonder if Polaris had a different vendor build the P85s for the last little bit. I have only had 1 p85 break on me in 30 plus yrs of riding poo. never had an issue on my old mod sleds running PSI triples

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I ride a NA850 and got the notice, .I wonder if Polaris had a different vendor build the P85s for the last little bit. I have only had 1 p85 break on me in 30 plus yrs of riding poo. never had an issue on my old mod sleds running PSI triples
The P85 has been going downhill for sure.

I’ve seen 3 grenade in the last 10 years.

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
Not sure how Polaris will do this? If they replace the spider as I heard, then the clutches will be way out of balance, not that there where balanced before...Polaris can not balance the fixed sheave on the P22 and it is not balanced....I will mention again the secondaries on the P22 sleds are way out of balance, they removed the defection bolt and that clutch was designed and made for it!!! don't believe me look at your secondary it has 10-14 holes OPPOSITE of the missing deflection bolt!!!

I may offer a P22 package and provide P22 clutch puller (not the same as P85) with a 1/2 drive Torx for clutch bolt, small cup of Lapping compound to LAP the clutch to the crank!! I know old school, but the P22 has so much oil on the crank taper that I believe this is one of the issues for the clutch falling off!!!! Easy to do and takes 5 min!!! then provide a Norlock lock washer system for the clutch bolt...made just for vibrating bolts...(I found some that will fit) THEN Impact the clutch bolt back on with a 1/2 impact! 150-180 lbs, the new P22 clutch bolt is a Grade 8 bolt!!! I had one tested for Rockwell...it is 38 Rockwell...If I see enough interest I will put this package together so you can do it yourself and not deal with the dealer...

My thoughts on this are slightly different. My theory is the reason the clutchs are falling off is the sleeve/bolt tolerance is tight and during normal shifting/use the clutch bolt head is contacting the sleeve it retains which is acting like an impact and slowly backing the bolt off. I checked bolt tq on my P22 every day and it took torque everyday. The P85 didnt have this issue as the bolt washer had some clearance to it and it could "walk" without contacting anything. I can see light marks on the inside of the sleeve where it appears the bolt head has touched. To me this theory also helps answer why some spiders are failing faster than others if the bolt is at all loose the spider is not being clamped in place properly.

Another thing that may have something to do with this is where these clutch's are manufactured. The P22 is a complete overseas unit. Team does not build any components for this clutch or do the final assembly.

All in all I will take the deflection screw and a P-85 over the current clutch's "advantage" of no deflection screw.

Premium Features