• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch recall

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Kind of makes you wonder why Doo has that chunk of rubber on the lid of the primary now doesn't it :)

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Sounds like the failures are creeping back in.
I took a Slow Motion video of my P22 while doing track alignment today and you can clearly see the tip of the clutch flailing around like a wet noodle.
Some of that was probably video effects and maybe some the whole motor moving around.
But I am convinced they have a harmonic or torsional vibration at some frequency order that is breaking the bolt.

Same situation as they had in WWII when the big radials were getting bigger and more powerful and the propeller shafts were coming off and the cranks breaking. Uncontrolled torsional vibration. It still happens on aircraft engine when the dampers fail- motor comes apart.

It is going to need some kind of harmonic treatment to kill the problem. Not just a better bolt.
I think I'll replace my bolt anyway.
I found a pretty in-depth technical publication talking about the time, money, and engineering that went into making the R-2800 reliable. It was pretty technical, so I couldn't follow everything, but I did get a good sense of the game of whack-a-mole they played trying to balance that engine out. Eventually they did, and it ended up being a great engine. I'm not sure what the rest of the story on the P-22 will end up being. It seems like it needs a major re-think, at a minimum; for now there's just no good reason not to go back to the P-85 until they figure it out.

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
I found a pretty in-depth technical publication talking about the time, money, and engineering that went into making the R-2800 reliable. It was pretty technical, so I couldn't follow everything, but I did get a good sense of the game of whack-a-mole they played trying to balance that engine out. Eventually they did, and it ended up being a great engine. I'm not sure what the rest of the story on the P-22 will end up being. It seems like it needs a major re-think, at a minimum; for now there's just no good reason not to go back to the P-85 until they figure it out.
Even if they get the P-22 perfect and it has a 0% failure rate all you gained is you don’t have to adjust your belt. It doesn't perform as good as the p-85 anyway

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
But I am convinced they have a harmonic or torsional vibration at some frequency order that is breaking the bolt.
I too am convinced that the primary bolt isn't the problem, but rather a secondary symptom of the primary clutches not being balanced or appropriately pressed/seated/happy on the crankshaft.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Even if they get the P-22 perfect and it has a 0% failure rate all you gained is you don’t have to adjust your belt. It doesn't perform as good as the p-85 anyway
Yeah, someone correct me/us if we're wrong, but no setting belt deflection is the only advantage I know of. The P-85 has a smaller hub, which effectively gives you a lower gear at engagement - if you set belt deflection correctly. The other thing about the P-22 is it's cheaply made (in China, I think). The P-85 isn't perfect either, but it's better made and performs better; the only excuses Polaris has are that some people are too lazy to set their clutch up correctly, and that the P-22 is cheaper to them.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Yeah, someone correct me/us if we're wrong, but no setting belt deflection is the only advantage I know of. The P-85 has a smaller hub, which effectively gives you a lower gear at engagement - if you set belt deflection correctly. The other thing about the P-22 is it's cheaply made (in China, I think). The P-85 isn't perfect either, but it's better made and performs better; the only excuses Polaris has are that some people are too lazy to set their clutch up correctly, and that the P-22 is cheaper to them.
Probably and for those that don’t know how to adjust their belt tension correctly, I pity the fool 😂 It’s extremely easy and does not have to be done often, but should be checked occasionally.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
The other advantage of the P22 was supposed to be bigger bushing area, and the bushings are farther apart for more stability. Looks good on paper.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
The other advantage of the P22 was supposed to be bigger bushing area, and the bushings are farther apart for more stability. Looks good on paper.
You're right - I remember now reading that somewhere. The P-85 was already getting marginal on 800s and 850s - I think that's why the 9R and Boost have the P-22 - and a misaligned clutch would run hot and wear out prematurely. They coulda just reworked the basic P-85 design though, seems like a better bet than the one step forward, two steps back with the P-22.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
You're right - I remember now reading that somewhere. The P-85 was already getting marginal on 800s and 850s - I think that's why the 9R and Boost have the P-22 - and a misaligned clutch would run hot and wear out prematurely. They coulda just reworked the basic P-85 design though, seems like a better bet than the one step forward, two steps back with the P-22.
Print of your statement here and read it again in a few months and see if you were seeing the future.

Tjyak50

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 26, 2019
Alpine, Wy
It also seems like Errbody does bow ties and jumps and backflips anymore with all this new horsepowers…. Life for sleds is no easier

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Probably and for those that don’t know how to adjust their belt tension correctly, I pity the fool 😂 It’s extremely easy and does not have to be done often, but should be checked occasionally.
It's not as easy as not doing it. That's what I told my dad on his safety chains for gooseneck. He said they were easy to hook up. I told him i will guarantee they aren't as easy as not hooking them up.
My bomb proof clutch is finally here. Get that on and i can finally start riding it again. Hope they put the handlebar hooks on. Thats probably harder than belt deflection since there's two.

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
It also seems like Errbody does bow ties and jumps and backflips anymore with all this new horsepowers…. Life for sleds is no easier
They can have all the tree ballet stuff, honestly it is not as fun or technical as climbing up a drainage or chute. Believe me when I tell you there is a whole new generation who are afraid to get vertical with their sleds. It still takes plenty of talent to get to the top of the mountain.

E
Aug 20, 2011
Soo/Menominee MI
They can have all the tree ballet stuff, honestly it is not as fun or technical as climbing up a drainage or chute. Believe me when I tell you there is a whole new generation who are afraid to get vertical with their sleds. It still takes plenty of talent to get to the top of the mountain.
Its simply another skill, its all fun imo.

Also, it IS nice to not have to constantly adjust your belt tension, and one less thing to keep an eye on. Problem for me is: it comes without the reliability of the standard clutch which is a big bummer. Hoping I frag mine within my warranty and get a new one. The other thing is, by all technicality, it should allow you to maintain the lowest gear ration possible upon clutch engagement, which is nice.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
There are plenty of people who do both. You sound like a liberal. If you don't do what I like to do you suck ☹️

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
tree ballet. verb - a riding technique where the snowmobiler will thrust his partner (sled) upwards followed by a series of twists and turns often repeatedly surrounded by a tight stand of trees.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
tree ballet. verb - a riding technique where the snowmobiler will thrust his partner (sled) upwards followed by a series of twists and turns often repeatedly surrounded by a tight stand of trees. A video with terrible music drowning out the sweet engine noise will be posted.
Haha

Premium Features