• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Primary clutch spring

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I was cleaning and looking over my clutch and took the cover off. Looking over the spring, I noticed it’s a 110-290. This is a replacement clutch from Polaris on the recall. Noticed 10-70 weights also.
My riding is 3000-6000. I looked at the 23 clutch chart and it looks like the weights are right but the chart says 150-290.

There was 120-320 on the original clutch they pulled off of it-and 10-68 weights. I understand those are for higher elevations.

I can’t find any info on the 110-290 spring. I’m fine to run it if its really what should be there. Hoping it isn’t an error.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
That's gonna be your call based on performance in your sled, at your elevations, in your conditions. Be careful about getting clutching advice from the internet, especially if it's not someone on the same sled, at similar elevations, and in similar conditions. Are you happy with the engagement and max RPM? Then you have the right spring/weights. Not happy? Someone will step in soon to recommend a full kit, but if you go that route make sure there's lots of communication with whoever put the kit together, and you're not buying something developed for different elevations, conditions, and riding style.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
I was told by Kurts Polaris that the 850 needs to be loaded up and not spin like a 125 mx race bike (or something to that effect). Especially with the QD2 gearing. With that in mind, maybe they are revamping the recommendation for your model and elevation... or maybe it is just what they had on hand... but yeah, if you like the engagement RPM and take-off (with or without trenching) then I would say run it. Might be worth a call to your local dealer though. The sled I called about (my latest) already had a Kurts clutching kit in it along with their gears and belt... their helix doesn't tell you angles and I think the springs are anonymous too, painted their own color, not sure... haven't taken the secondary apart nor removed the weights / springs from primary, since they work fine and no noteable wear.

C
Nov 29, 2008
Polaris white spring is on nephew's 850 khaos is almond / gold underneath the white ....
Great sales gimmicks ...just keep changing colors

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
From SPI's website: For higher engagement, increase the initial compression rate. For lower engagement, decrease it. For higher peak RPM, increase the finish compression rate. For lower peak RPM, decrease it.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
From SPI's website: For higher engagement, increase the initial compression rate. For lower engagement, decrease it. For higher peak RPM, increase the finish compression rate. For lower peak RPM, decrease it.

Interesting…..
Well, I’m going to give it a spin this weekend. We’ll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features