• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Biggest flop of the year?

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
flop

At least they're putting all the blown belts to good use

shopping

your mileage may vary :face-icon-small-win

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Does anybody disagree it was hands down the 850 skidoo?

:pop2::pop2:

yup.
I would strongly Disagree.

I absolutely LOVE my 3 850's and SnowChecked a new 2018, so I will have FOUR of them next year!

In fairness how much time did you spend on the other brands to compare? :face-icon-small-ton

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
this was about the same statement you made when you road Yammies too....:popcorn::ban:
True then, true now.

I rode Yamahas for 7 years.
Loved them.

Does that in some bizarre way effect the fact that I am very happy with my new Ski-Doos this year?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
:pop2::pop2:

In fairness how much time did you spend on the other brands to compare? :face-icon-small-ton

Question.
Why do I need to spend hundreds of miles on every sled on the market to say that i am HAPPY with the sleds I am riding?

This wasn't a statement of Comparison.
It was a statement of personal satisfaction.

I VERY much like the 3 850's that are sitting in my trailer.
I have had a BLAST riding them this season.
I look forward to a LOT more riding of them next season.

And the fact that the other manufacturers may or may not make great fantastic amazing unimaginably phenomenal sleds does not in any way impact that I like my sleds and do not think they were the biggest "FLOP" of the year...

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Question.
Why do I need to spend hundreds of miles on every sled on the market to say that i am HAPPY with the sleds I am riding?

This wasn't a statement of Comparison.
It was a statement of personal satisfaction.

I VERY much like the 3 850's that are sitting in my trailer.
I have had a BLAST riding them this season.
I look forward to a LOT more riding of them next season.

And the fact that the other manufacturers may or may not make great fantastic amazing unimaginably phenomenal sleds does not in any way impact that I like my sleds and do not think they were the biggest "FLOP" of the year...

lol, his question was not if owners were happy with their sleds.

It was asking if the 850 is the "biggest flop" of this year which in order for the 850 to be a "flop" that would I think mean that it would be able to hold it's ground with the other top sleds. And I think it's safe to say that it does.

I was only giving you crap because you said you strongly disagree but don't have what many would consider the time across all the other top sled models to compare your 850's as being flops or not against the other mtn sleds on the market. Now I could be wrong in my statement but it was just a guess. :face-icon-small-win

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
lol, his question was not if owners were happy with their sleds.

It was asking if the 850 is the "biggest flop" of this year which in order for the 850 to be a "flop" that would I think mean that it would be able to hold it's ground with the other top sleds. And I think it's safe to say that it does.

I was only giving you crap because you said you strongly disagree but don't have what many would consider the time across all the other top sled models to compare your 850's as being flops or not against the other mtn sleds on the market. Now I could be wrong in my statement but it was just a guess. :face-icon-small-win

Gotcha.
By common definition, it was certainly not a "Flop".

flop
verb.

1. informal
    (of a performer or show) be completely unsuccessful; fail totally.
    "prime-time dramas that flopped in the US market"
    <table class="vk_tbl vk_gy"><tbody><tr><td class="lr_dct_nyms_ttl" style="padding-right:3px">synonyms:</td><td>be unsuccessful, fail, not work, fall flat, do badly, lose money, be a disaster; More</td></tr></tbody></table>

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I would say the 2017 summit 800 174"
Not because of any flaws in the machine, hell in 2015 no stock machine would hang with it.
Only because the less expensive 165" 850 is a more capable machine.

Actually I don't think that there is a "flop" out there from any brand.
The obvious shortfalls lie with the operators. I only get to ride 3 days a year & I'm 52, so any sled I swing my leg over is capable of maneuvers that I am either uncapable of or unwilling to attempt.

Last edited:
R
Feb 29, 2016
It was the biggest flop of the season because of all the hype it didn't live up too. Blown belts, broken bulkheads and I know of at least one that lost a motor before 2000 miles. Same junk rear skid, widest running boards of all three.

For 2018 I think Doo is the least desirable of the three brands. The new Cat is a huge step forward, the 850 is just lipstick on a pig. The Polaris still out handles the Doo by a good margin and belt drive versions just flat leave the 850 on the line.

Not much to love IMO, unless you are one of the Doo faithful. Looking at all of the new Doo fails makes me want to give Polaris another shot despite some quality issues or, give Cats new motor a try. Doo is dead last in desirability in my book, an epic flop.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
It was an epic flop for my riding group. One of my buds rented an 850 for a week in Alpine, last February. We were all looking forward to trying out the new iron. But the day before we were to pick it up, the rental shop called and said the engine blew up and wouldn't get fixed in time. They had 2 850s go down that week. The rental shop was not happy, to say the least. Same for my bud. They said lots of issues all season long, but I didn't get details. I'm sure Doo will have addressed the big issues for 2018.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Don't care what anyone says... the 850 is a sweet machine that works awesome out of the box. Not surprised there were issues(which I think have been blown out of proportion), it happens with first year sleds, especially with a new motor chassis combo and especially with the number there is on the snow.

I bet there are alot of guys who jumped ship for 2018, I wouldnt be afraid to, especially with Doo stepping up and saying hey we're fixing things, dont worry. No other manufacturer would doo that.

JungleJim

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I jumped ship after riding an 850 for two days! I like my Axys (have two of them the 3" and 2.6" both 163's) however found the G4 super easy on my shoulders to steer, very easy to ride in trees as it goes where you look, and held a sidehill decently (not as precise as the Axys but good enough for me), and had great mid range power! Several times I thought I would have been stuck and I wasn't. Even to the point of my riding buddies appreciating they did not have to pull me out as much on the G4. My heart does go out to those that have been having issues and I sincerely hope Doo gets them sorted as they have a great sled if the reliability can be addressed. I snowchecked a black 175 for '18 so here's hoping they doo! Pun intended....:face-icon-small-coo

A

aj1180

Dec 17, 2009
waukon ia
I have no doubt In my mind that the 850 was not a flop and I'm not a skidoo guy. I own Polaris and yamaha's. It sounds like some people had belt issues but the 3 850's in my group all ran great with no belt issues. However all 3 showed up very late at the dealer so maybe it was an early production issue. They handle well and pull hard. This could be a never ending pi$$ing match but maybe that is a the point. All the mountain sleds this year are impressive in their own right. Just look what we rode 5 yrs ago.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
had a chance to put a leg over one and the fit and finish is to notch. power is good low and mid with peak power on par with my piped 16 cat. after riding a 18 cat the 50 cc will not matter at all as each makes about the same low and mid power by my azz dyno but cat is doing it with an 800. in the large scope of this we all win.
so my summery and take it with a band loyal grain of salt.
Cat: side hills closer to the poo with better mid and low power and about the same top as all. stock skis suck but has lots of potential.
Doo: stock out of the box good power with nice fit and finish still seams the g4 is a bandaid for the xp. Clean throttle and up on the snow well even faster then the poo.
Poo BNG. low on power compared to the 18 prospects, go's flat at the 50 mph mark. still not impressed with the light weight V reliability.
Yammie....haha.

Premium Features