• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is 24 the last year for the 850???

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
Just as the title says is 24 the last year for the 850? Is Polaris trying to help the dealers clear out old inventory with this year's snow check program by limiting 850 colors and options? Does it make sense to have a 850 and a 900 in the line up? If they do the 900 boost in 25 no reason to keep the 840 around is there?

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
It could go either way, but I'd say that unless sales of the NA 850 dry up, they're going to keep it around. On one hand, their cost on the 9R can't be that much more, and cutting a line of motors saves some manufacturing costs. On the other hand, I don't think there's any way the 9R matches the life of the 850, and I think part of the upcharge is to cover more warranty claims. I think back when the 850 appeared, the plan all along was to drop the 800: nothing in common between the engines, and Polaris figured they'd do whatever was needed to match the 800, in warranty claims at least (they did make changes for '20, obviously), but keep the 800 initially for the hesitant. I could be wrong: maybe the 9R does hold out and the 850 ends up going away - no reason the boost doesn't switch to a 900 in that case. The thing is, a lightweight crank and bigger pistons never add up to things lasting just as long. It's hard to justify paying more for a less reliable motor if you don't need the power bump.

C
Dec 14, 2020
Doubt it. They'd lose sales to the guys that don't need a big bore or a turbo.

And they're already making it for the turbo, so why bother stopping?

I think the limited inventory options is just for the sake of making the timeline. This way the guys paying $4-5k extra can pick their colors, but the guys buying cheap will go "yeah, black is good because it's cheap".

Same with the gauge. I would bet you see very few 850na sleds with the 7s because it's expensive and they're obviously having troubles sourcing enough of them.

I have an all black sled currently, and would generally just black them out anyways, so my attitude towards the color choices is don't care at all.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Is the 850 heavy crank used in any other models? The 900 crank is supposed to be the same as the 650. If they all used the same crank it would probably cut costs for Polaris. The pistons and jugs can't cost a whole lot more to build but the 900 does get some extra port cutting and that procedure takes a bit of time/labour. I believe that Polaris would drop the 850 if they could make a lower power, higher torque 900 model with different port timing and a bigger flywheel that could power utility sleds and larger touring sleds.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Is the 850 heavy crank used in any other models? The 900 crank is supposed to be the same as the 650. If they all used the same crank it would probably cut costs for Polaris. The pistons and jugs can't cost a whole lot more to build but the 900 does get some extra port cutting and that procedure takes a bit of time/labour. I believe that Polaris would drop the 850 if they could make a lower power, higher torque 900 model with different port timing and a bigger flywheel that could power utility sleds and larger touring sleds.
The problem with going with the lightweight crank is you could lose some rpm holding abilities.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
I just built two khaos 155's one 900 one 850 same options there is exactly $3000 list price difference. I just don't see poo keeping the 850 once the 900 boost comes out. There 650 makes 138hp and has good tq for any utility sled. I have a 650 146 khaos it's a fun little sled. I just don't see the need for the 850 anymore.

C
Dec 14, 2020
I just built two khaos 155's one 900 one 850 same options there is exactly $3000 list price difference. I just don't see poo keeping the 850 once the 900 boost comes out. There 650 makes 138hp and has good tq for any utility sled. I have a 650 146 khaos it's a fun little sled. I just don't see the need for the 850 anymore.

Durability.

There's quite a few guys that won't pay an extra $3k for a less durable motor.

M
Dec 4, 2010
Doesn't really make sense unless they plan to eliminate the boost as well... which they probably do not (well until there is a 900 boost, at which point wait and see on the durability).

Mike

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Doesn't really make sense unless they plan to eliminate the boost as well... which they probably do not (well until there is a 900 boost, at which point wait and see on the durability).

Mike
That is the expected plan. Bring out a 900 turbo, but that won't happen until Polaris feels they can't out do Ski-doo with their 850 turbo.

U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
I don't think 9R will be base, at least until Doo or Cat force them to. Having both a NA and Boost upgrade of your base engine seems like a great business model.

I am interested to see where Polaris would go with a new motor. Adding tech/refinement also likely adds weight and I am not sure how they'd strike the balance.

I had heard they don't want to go anywhere further than square and I can't imagine them adding stroke.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
It looks like '23 was the last year for the 800 (the Titan was the last holdout), so that leaves the 550 fan, 650, 850, Boost 850, 9R, and S4 (four stroke). Seems the 600R (race sled) is still around for '24, but I'm pretty sure the 800 is gone. The 550 and 4S are completely different, obviously, but there's no reason that the 650, 850, and 9R couldn't all use the same crank. It doesn't make much sense that you'd make a lighter crank for the 650, then decide it's stout enough for a 900, but not for the 850... I wonder if they don't consolidate and settle on one crank that'll work for all three. Of course, you're left with three different top ends; kind of hard to get around that.

I think the big issue right now is that if the 850 goes away, a lot of people would switch to Doo, or maybe Cat in '25, rather than take their chances with the 900. That could change, but it'd take a couple years at least, and who knows what things look like then... I don't see everybody riding 900s for a while: I don't care about a few extra HP unless it's only costing me a few hundred, not thousand more, and doesn't come at the expense of an engine that won't last and/or costs you in being harder on clutches and NVH and such. Maybe 900s will be there soon, but right now there's only one, and it's not off to the best start.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I don't think 9R will be base, at least until Doo or Cat force them to. Having both a NA and Boost upgrade of your base engine seems like a great business model.

I am interested to see where Polaris would go with a new motor. Adding tech/refinement also likely adds weight and I am not sure how they'd strike the balance.

I had heard they don't want to go anywhere further than square and I can't imagine them adding stroke.
I think stroke would give them
It is hard to believe they will keep the Pro and Khaos too as those models could be handled with one model with just a snowcheck suspension option.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
It looks like '23 was the last year for the 800 (the Titan was the last holdout), so that leaves the 550 fan, 650, 850, Boost 850, 9R, and S4 (four stroke). Seems the 600R (race sled) is still around for '24, but I'm pretty sure the 800 is gone. The 550 and 4S are completely different, obviously, but there's no reason that the 650, 850, and 9R couldn't all use the same crank. It doesn't make much sense that you'd make a lighter crank for the 650, then decide it's stout enough for a 900, but not for the 850... I wonder if they don't consolidate and settle on one crank that'll work for all three. Of course, you're left with three different top ends; kind of hard to get around that.

I think the big issue right now is that if the 850 goes away, a lot of people would switch to Doo, or maybe Cat in '25, rather than take their chances with the 900. That could change, but it'd take a couple years at least, and who knows what things look like then... I don't see everybody riding 900s for a while: I don't care about a few extra HP unless it's only costing me a few hundred, not thousand more, and doesn't come at the expense of an engine that won't last and/or costs you in being harder on clutches and NVH and such. Maybe 900s will be there soon, but right now there's only one, and it's not off to the best start.
All it will take for you to look at a 900 is if 850's pricing climbed to just under the 900 price. I wish it was that the 900 came down but this won't happen unless Ski-doo gives them pricing pressure somehow.

Premium Features