• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Big Bore,Turbo or Stock?

k-teck

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
On a New Summit or Axys what would you do... Big Bore, Turbo or Stock? Be realistic do you need them, are you talented enough to use the machine to its full capabilities stock..what to do?

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Most do not get every enth out of it but dont want to either they i just like the feel of the power it doesnt matter whether you can use it all ,most all can not. Everyone has there own thing they want out of there set up max power or not its just fun,WE ALL JUST WANT WHAT WE WANT

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
^I agree, most do not use a stock sled to its full potential but you will most certainly have more fun on a boosted sled. Hell I dont care if all you ride is trails 200hp is going to be more fun then 140hp. Do what ever satisfies you,some crave that feeling big power gives and some are content stock. I have had both and currently run a stock sled, mainly because I only ride it about twice a yr now and it seems silly to stick any more money into it.

Last edited:

kevinm7

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2010
Spring Creek, NV
As stated above, most people will never use ANY sled to it's full potential, whether it be stock or far from it. I am included in this group. But, as you can see, I run a fully built Turbo PRO. It's fun. More fun than stock for sure. I like having the ability to go anywhere I want. Sometimes I get into places that I have no business being, but hey, that's half the fun, getting out of situations that test you.

As far as the sled is concerned.... If you want reliability you stay stock, obviously. Next in line is the big bore and then boost. I have owned all 3 and they all have their ups and downs.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Stock, you loose the least amount of cash at resale.

This is true. If you don't have the checkbook to do it, don't. Mod sleds loose money. You won't get much more for a two year old turbo sled than a stocker. On the other hand, if you have the extra cash, they sure are fun.

k-teck

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Cash isn't really the concern. I am just looking at the longer tracks taller lugs and all the new things that come with the sleds from 5 years ago its night and day. I have been recently interested in the 872 from Trygstad 2500 bucks and reliable from all I have heard how could you go wrong?

J
Nov 12, 2015
Colorado
I have done stock, ported, SHR860, and finally an RG turbo. Once the turbo is done, going back to stock. Getting old and riding with my kids since they are old enough and have their own mtn sleds, so really dont need 12#'s of boost anymore. That being said, each step I made in the mod department was noticeable and more enjoyable. But the sleds made today are pretty darn impressive which kinda makes modding one to the max and spending $25k every year or two fruitless as the manufacturer's continue to do all the work for us. 10 years ago, it took a lot of money and effort to get a mtn sled into the "real backcountry". Today, its easy for anybody with a ?? to go absolutley anywhere they want

Premium Features