• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What is the best replacement ski for summit expert?

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
We know there’s alternatives to the stock ski rubber. Was asking about an alternative to the Sly Dog Attack ski rubber. Their ski rubber doesn’t make it 500 miles.
IMG_5449.jpeg

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Ok, so .... I bought a set of Slydog Attacks and put C&A shaper bars with 4" carbides on them and tried them out last weekend on the Lynx ...

Quite frankly, they were terrible.

What carbides are you guys running on your Slydogs for off-trail use? This was so bad I literally didn't even want to finish the flipping ride yesterday I was getting so wore out from these skis ...

First, they don't float near as well as the stockers do, which isn't surprising because they're almost 2" narrower .... but, they don't catch an edge as well to initiate a carve either. I am assuming this is due to the fact that this is a shorter ski with a taper on the back?

These skis were riding me yesterday not the other way around .... I felt like they were way too aggressive on the "steering" side, meaning they wanted to pull me in directions I didn't want to go off-trail trying to pick lines through the trees, etc and trying to correct wound up being more difficult if not impossible in some situations.

IDK, I think part of this may be that I have a narrower front end with lift spindles so that was not playing nice with the skis, but honestly these Slydogs felt like I was riding a "trail ski" and not a back country ski .... IDK .....

Anyways, thought I'd ask about the carbides, but if those are the ones I am "supposed" to run on them, these skis are coming off and the stockers are going back on and they'll be for sale, I was thoroughly unimpressed with them.

D
Mar 13, 2014
Ok, so .... I bought a set of Slydog Attacks and put C&A shaper bars with 4" carbides on them and tried them out last weekend on the Lynx ...

Quite frankly, they were terrible.

What carbides are you guys running on your Slydogs for off-trail use? This was so bad I literally didn't even want to finish the flipping ride yesterday I was getting so wore out from these skis ...

First, they don't float near as well as the stockers do, which isn't surprising because they're almost 2" narrower .... but, they don't catch an edge as well to initiate a carve either. I am assuming this is due to the fact that this is a shorter ski with a taper on the back?

These skis were riding me yesterday not the other way around .... I felt like they were way too aggressive on the "steering" side, meaning they wanted to pull me in directions I didn't want to go off-trail trying to pick lines through the trees, etc and trying to correct wound up being more difficult if not impossible in some situations.

IDK, I think part of this may be that I have a narrower front end with lift spindles so that was not playing nice with the skis, but honestly these Slydogs felt like I was riding a "trail ski" and not a back country ski .... IDK .....

Anyways, thought I'd ask about the carbides, but if those are the ones I am "supposed" to run on them, these skis are coming off and the stockers are going back on and they'll be for sale, I was thoroughly unimpressed with them.

I have the 4" Woodys carbides. I have really liked the attack ski. I also have ice age spindles, QS3 front shocks and I run a ton of preload in the front track shock. I have not come across anything like snowmobile and snowmobile parts that is so subjective. Very few parts that you can say everyone will like...

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I started the year with the Slydog Attacks on my 24 Summit X turbo. I hit a stump hard and wrecked the ski rubber, so I put on the stock DS3’s. It took a bit to adjust to the stock skis, and at the end of the day I just liked the Attacts better. The Attack ski does float better with it’s larger foot print.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I have an all black set Sly Dog Attacks with black loops, wear bars, and mounting kit for G5. One ride on them. I think I am in them close to $600. $400 pick up in Alpine WY.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
My problem with the attack was super heavy steering. They also would punch through the crust and I'd eat bars.
I know I said it before but I ordered mine with plain wear bars but even though the package was labeled as such, the actual product had a 2 inch carbide

Premium Features