• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What is the best replacement ski for summit expert?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I think my buddy has some old slydog powder hounds that he hated I could try.
They are probably 5+ years old, have they changed the design in the current years?

I do remember that they looked huge. Super long, super wide
Slydog attacks. Some of older ones were even 8 inches wide. They also used to have ski rubber issues years ago my buddy told me

yz250_

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
I just got some alternative impact spindles and gripper skiis for gen5 freeride. Hoping that will make a good combination

T
Jan 13, 2013
Can anyone give more info on ski rubbers for grippers on the G5? Having a hard time spending $150cad for a piece of rubber to go aftermarket. Heard XM rubbers work? Are these a good option?

U
Nov 29, 2007
What does everyone not like about the Expert ski, and is it more of an issue on a Turbo over an NA. I just picked up a new to me expert 165 NA that wasn't rode last year. I also just sold a set of Gripper skis I had laying around for a while go figure.

thanks

T
Jan 13, 2013
I bought the new Kyber ski rubber for the Ds4 ski and just trimmed some notches into the bottom of it and it fits the gripper on the Gen 5 very well locked in place and not going anywhere

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Powder pros. Never an issue. all others pale in comparison. Haha. i tried Sly dogs and they weren’t for me. I road Ride minimal.

Last edited:
E
Dec 19, 2007
What does everyone not like about the Expert ski, and is it more of an issue on a Turbo over an NA. I just picked up a new to me expert 165 NA that wasn't rode last year. I also just sold a set of Gripper skis I had laying around for a while go figure.

thanks
It's an issue on any of them. The DS4 while having a longer keel that runs fore to aft vs. the DS3 will track a little better it also has more ski forward of the ski bolt. This combined with the poor fitment of the rubber to the ski leg causes even more plowing of the ski rather than planing/lifting. The DS2 and 3 where bad enough and the 4 is even more so. Pick up on the loop and see how far up it comes before there is any real resistance. Now you have 2 snow plows your trying to push through the snow slowing you down.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Does anyone have any experience running the ski rubbers that sly dog sells and recommends for their skis on their website?

straightup

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Rigby Idaho
They are super soft and ski will fold back! Putting you over the handle bars! Put in Rasmussen rubbers or factory ski doo race sled rubbers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
They are super soft and ski will fold back! Putting you over the handle bars! Put in Rasmussen rubbers or factory ski doo race sled rubbers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anybody know if the Slydog hardware kit is needed or can I use stock bolt, spacers, etc?....... and order different ski rubbers? This is on a 2023 expert turbo.

D
Dec 22, 2018
I have been riding with Polaris Grippers a bit on G4 and I would assume they work also well on G5. If nothing else works that's worth a try. Very logical and stable ski all around. One thing about gripper is the soft nose (ski tip) compared to any other ski on the market. It makes the ski very forgiving. If you don't want to go with Polaris because fear of contamination SLP Mohawk should be quite similar.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I have been riding with Polaris Grippers a bit on G4 and I would assume they work also well on G5. If nothing else works that's worth a try. Very logical and stable ski all around. One thing about gripper is the soft nose (ski tip) compared to any other ski on the market. It makes the ski very forgiving. If you don't want to go with Polaris because fear of contamination SLP Mohawk should be quite similar.
Do any modifications need to be made to use the grippers on a G5? Is it as simple as pulling a pair off a stock polaris? Im assuming you would use polaris bolt, rubber and Ski Doo spacers. Anyone know the answer to that?

D
Dec 22, 2018
Do any modifications need to be made to use the grippers on a G5? Is it as simple as pulling a pair off a stock polaris? Im assuming you would use polaris bolt, rubber and Ski Doo spacers. Anyone know the answer to that?

I had Polaris bolt and ski rubber, did put some washers to get it tight if I remember right. It did work fine but didn't have too much time to work on it on the parking lot. It was quick few days test because my original ski snapped in half and borrowed grippers from my friend. Too shame I had to return them later on.

Actually now I have pair of grippers waiting for a test on G5 freeride. Interesting to see how it works on new platform.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I had Polaris bolt and ski rubber, did put some washers to get it tight if I remember right. It did work fine but didn't have too much time to work on it on the parking lot. It was quick few days test because my original ski snapped in half and borrowed grippers from my friend. Too shame I had to return them later on.

Actually now I have pair of grippers waiting for a test on G5 freeride. Interesting to see how it works on new platform.
Im torn right now what to try. Last season I pulled the ds-4's and trieds some ds-3. I definetly liked them better for mountain riding. I said in another post if I were in a hill climb up snowking I would definetly take the ds-4. More bite in the snow and precise when turning. What I dont like is the hard steering on the trail or the goat trail on your way to the high country. Something just felt strange about them transitioning to a side hill in some snow conditions. The grippers are definetly a tried ski that is predictible and forgiving. Just my experince from the Polaris sleds that I have owned and ridden, yet I have never ridden a Ski Doo with grippers to who if it is the ski or the sled. Considering the gripper or Slydog attacks. Many people have said they like one or the other yet, not really given a reason why. I have a pretty good idea what the grippers are going to ride like. My biggest question to anyone reading this, is are there any negatives to the Attack? Does the attack steer harder in set up snow than the gripper or DS-3 or 4? Thanks for the input...

Premium Features