• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What is the best replacement ski for summit expert?

T
Dec 25, 2022
Idaho
I have a summit expert turbo 165 and do not like the ds 4 ski . I want to replace them with new ones. What ski is everyone running and why do you like them?

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
I'm running the gripper ski on my g5 expert. I like it, it takes away the twitchyness and feedback from the ski when try to downhill sidehill or while going over ice layer snow and diving. You will need polaris ski bolts as well to convert. I am running salza polaris ski rubbers with it as well.

Blainelukens

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 18, 2010
Bozeman, MT
I ran grippers before and liked them better than the doo skis, however you are stuck with either the ****ty Polaris rubbers, going aftermarket or modifying the ski saddle to except a xm ski rubber. I never had good luck with the aftermarket ones, not going to name anyone here. I now have Mohawks and they are great so far, they definitely steer harder on groomed/hard pack but I don’t notice it in the soft stuff. They don’t dive like the doo skis like to do. I found them on eBay for just shy of $500 w/ wear bars.

E
Dec 19, 2007
Mohawks are great and work well in all conditions. No diving and stable. Slydog Attacks are good also, although a bit aggressive in firmer snow. Either one of them you can loosen the limiter strap at least one hole and still have great steering or stiffen the center shock to lighten steering effort.

wyobob44

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2005
Sundance, WY
X 3 for the Mohawks, ran my ds’ s on my expert for 2 days to give them the benefit of doubt, did not like how they would dive after crossing old tracks while side hilling, I have never had luck with Ski doo factory skis for the last 22 years, so i threw on a pair of Mohawks that i had with me ,”Just in Case”. Made a world of difference while side hilling, and i did not feel like they were stiffer steering on the trail, but my suspension is not at factory settings, I changed out my front Shock spring and set the Strap to agile.. Man this sled is a arrow while side hilling , goes exactly where i want it to go, no wash out, up hill ski doesn’t drop when crossing old tracks, awesome control, and i am very happy and tired at the end of the day, best sled i have owned in 35+ years

R

Reddragon800

Feb 26, 2013
Hands down the Slydog attack. Had them out to compare with 2 other 23 Gen5's and everyone got see and try out how much better they are. They is no darting, they turn instead of push, They dont plow/dig on sidehilling and the HD rubbers hold the skis flat and dont blow out. Well worth the cost.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
I've been fighting the ds4 and ds.3 all year. Found some ds+ the other day and it's a whole lot better, not perfect but extremely noticeable
Trying a shorter spindle next

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I've been fighting the ds4 and ds.3 all year. Found some ds+ the other day and it's a whole lot better, not perfect but extremely noticeable
Trying a shorter spindle next
What is a DS+ ski?

As far as I know Doo makes DS, DS2, DS3 and DS4.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
That would be the lynx ski. Trail ski imo
If it's a trail ski, why is it wider.
The Doo skis are shaped like a T so.they knife right through our crust.
Then the shorter heel let's them flip up which spits out the rubber.
The lynx ski has an extra step on the bottom and they are wider so they stay on top a little easier here in the horns anyhow

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
If it's a trail ski, why is it wider.
The Doo skis are shaped like a T so.they knife right through our crust.
Then the shorter heel let's them flip up which spits out the rubber.
The lynx ski has an extra step on the bottom and they are wider so they stay on top a little easier here in the horns anyhow
It's for mushy trails.
If you like it that's great but i don't. Insanely deep keel combine with spindle are creating issues you don't like. The fat ski also pushes you off the sidehill in certain snow. If you tried slydogs you would throw them in the dumpster

U
Dec 11, 2007
I second Slydogs, I removed my DS+ from my Lynx and have been running Slydogs for a few hundred miles, it has been night and day difference getting this sled on its side and keeping it there.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
I think my buddy has some old slydog powder hounds that he hated I could try.
They are probably 5+ years old, have they changed the design in the current years?

I do remember that they looked huge. Super long, super wide

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Powder Pros are a great ski, but for older, heavier sleds (think about what was around when they were designed). They might still work well on newer sleds in some conditions though. Hopefully SLP's mounting and ski rubber setup is better on newer chassis. I bought new rubbers for mine that were silly loose, and shimming them didn't help for long. I ended up cutting into the saddle and adding a strap to the bottom, and cutting a relief in the ski, so I could use OE dampers. SLP does make great skis; I'm not interested in switching out my grippers unless I find a cheap Mohawk setup though - not unless there's an option for ski rubbers that doesn't involve completely reworking the saddle.

Premium Features