• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Better Skis for the Khaos?

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
I'm starting to buy parts for my snow checked Khaos 165. I've seen a few people suggesting replacing the Grippers. I've never had any issues with Grippers in the past. But I'm fairly new to mountain riding. I ride mostly Idaho. My questions are:

What skis would be considered better?
Are they enough better to warrant the cost?

Thanks!

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
I really like my Slydog Attack skis. This they are my first set of aftermarket skis and they provide much better control without increasing the steering effort significantly. They do not push nearly as much as the stock skis do and they allow you to actually steer with your skis.

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
Those seem to be at the top of the list of alternative skis. How do they compare to the Grippers for floatation?

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
SLP Mohawks are the ones i always upgrade to.

Better float in the powder. WAY better control, and smoother downhill turning.

Not as much wandering on the trail either. They dig in and go where you want to go. The longer wear helps with this.

In powder, the grippers like to dive deep, and collapse (tip up) on a hard turn, and try to buck you off :)

It is mostly the rubber bumpers that contribute to that issue. They dont last long and need replaced.

The last 2 sleds, i have put the Mohawks on and did not bother to even run the Grippers. Sold them right away on CL or FB marketplace.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
The grippers are a great ski, there really isn’t a reason to replace until they wear out or you want a different color. My goto ski is the Slydog Attack. No other ski comes close in color combinations and it’s a very hood back country ski.

Last edited:

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
I've never had any issues with Grippers in the past. But I'm fairly new to mountain riding.
Money is probably better spent elsewhere (bumpers, spare belts and a-arms, tools, etc.) Skis would be close to the bottom of my list. But at least the Gripper take-offs are easy to sell if you decide to go with something else.

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
I feel like the slp Mohawks are a good upgrade. More control in the powder to me. When things get crusty I like the gripper better though.

Premium Features