• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best way to store shovel under the hood of M sled?

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
i lied, one last comment... who's the vag that red'd me and won't even leave their name? If i'm arrogant because i have strong feelings about Avy safety and other sledders lives - then i'm as arrogant as Obama (and as red too!).

BTW, Nice comment -

"arrogant little ****, arn't you?"

first off, i ain't little... and second, don't be a pu$$y and not leave your name with your red. That's chicken chit.

I'm pissed now...

Last edited:
J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
I would have to agree that wearing a pack with the Tek-Vest is not to bad. I carry my shovel in my pack when riding in the mountians and in my sled when riding the flat land (cross country type stuff). I put the handel on the brake side zip tied as mentioned by others and the shovel in the seat.

Jason

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
i didnt give anybody red.heck,we might ride together someday.but i dought it since my shovel is in the seat:)
but i do agree that most people nowadays should carry a shovel on there back since they dont know when to sit home or stay out of risky areas.

Last edited:
S
Dec 16, 2007
Hayden, ID
Sorry - i was commenting on your post as well as few others. should've kept my grammar/sentence subjects more easily distinguished. as for a fused back and it not being compatiable with a nearly empty 3lbs pack, YES - i think that's crap. I'm sure you over 3lbs overweight??? I know i am! :eek:

as for snowmobiler and old vs. young - i don't care. you think because your old you know better, yet you don't think wearing a pack is OK??? I usually agree with age comes experience, but your the one saying age = smarter. i never said young was better or old was dumb. To me you seem like old = stuck in your ways. which it seems you are.

I'm curiuos (and this dead horse is getting the chit kicked out of it). How many people watching this thread have taken the time to go to an Avy course, YET won't wear a pack???

I've taken the course. And i'll go again to freshen up my knowledge ever few years - and i'll always WEAR A PACK. If my back hurts too much to where a nearly empty pack, then i probably shouldn't be riding anyway (no offense snaky, but if you can handle whooped trails and mountain riding you can handle a light pack).

As for the boss seat with the shovel pouch - i love mine!!! Stores all sorts of stuff in the tubes and pouches, just not a shovel or probe!

you still have me confused with some one else, go back and read the post again and get your facts straight , I never said age=smarter, or young vs old or anything of that nature. and far as the red thing you are referring to I know nothing about that. And far as being old I think the majority of people on the post are probably in the same age group I am 35-41 . also concerning my fusion to my lower back, you should just shut your pie hole because you don't know what you are talking about. You seem to think you have superior knowledge about issues but don't. I believe in the avalanche classes that you proclaim are so important...the importance is on being prepared and having the right equipment. Having a backpack is the convenient place to have these items...especially if a sled has no room. However this conversation got started because people are looking for better or easier places to carry their equipment. Get your head out of your a$$ and see that their are other opinions and ways to do things.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
you still have me confused with some one else, go back and read the post again and get your facts straight , I never said age=smarter, or young vs old or anything of that nature. and far as the red thing you are referring to I know nothing about that. And far as being old I think the majority of people on the post are probably in the same age group I am 35-41 . also concerning my fusion to my lower back, you should just shut your pie hole because you don't know what you are talking about. You seem to think you have superior knowledge about issues but don't. I believe in the avalanche classes that you proclaim are so important...the importance is on being prepared and having the right equipment. Having a backpack is the convenient place to have these items...especially if a sled has no room. However this conversation got started because people are looking for better or easier places to carry their equipment. Get your head out of your a$$ and see that their are other opinions and ways to do things.

I'm not claiming superior knowledge. I just think this issue is clearly black and white.

as for your back, i know fusing sucks. Have a few friends with fused backs and one with a fused neck... don't assume i have no knowledge of your situation.

This is becoming a pissing match, so i'm done with it and have made my point. i have already beaten the dead horse and thrown rocks at the bees nest. :cool:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
since a few turned this into a young pup vs older experianced...

some of us old a-holes know better than to ride within a mile from elevated avy prone hill

I don't think this has anything to do with age at all. A buddy of mine just got his first becaon after 20 years of riding, he's as redneck as most of us, but cares about his friends.

Unfortunatley where many of us ride there are these "mountain" things, so it's kinda tough to stay completely away from avalanche terrain.:D Seriously though, it all comes down to the fact that you never know what someone else might get themselves into.

And to whoever said they can open their hood & get to their sled as quick as a backpack missed the boat completely, I guess EVERY avy instructor in the country is full of poo huh? Go get some education.

If you ride places that are too flat to slide then this whole conversation is pointless, put the shovel wherever works for you!

Funny how the only people that got RED rep from this were the ones that actually give anough of a crap obout others to go out on a limb & say something that's not completely popular.

I didn't coment on this thread to make enemies, I just care about people whether they're riding with me or not.
(unless they're from a big city at the bottom of the front range & head to the ski areas each weekend, then... ahh, fukem!)

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
Unfortunatley where many of us ride there are these "mountain" things, so it's kinda tough to stay completely away from avalanche terrain.:D

i think if i lived around super steep mountains that slid alot.i would have to move instead of mounting shovels,avy ballons,rolling the dice and hoping for the best.its been nice riding here 45 years and never seeing a avy in the area.but it could happen someday i sapose.so i guess the right thing to say is ........shovels in the backpack people.and good luck:)

Last edited:

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
this thread needs to feed into a septic tank to settle out..there is lots of avenues for the avy concerns etc...why could a thread not stay on course on MOUNTING a shovel...i sure know where i would put alot of peoples shovels that are crusaders in a wrong thread...and its related to the septic tank...just a little bit upstream..

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
i think if i lived around super steep mountains that slid alot.i would have to move instead of mounting shovels,avy ballons,rolling the dice and hoping for the best.its been nice riding here 45 years and never seeing a avy in the area.but it could happen someday i sapose.so i guess the right thing to say is ........shovels in the backpack people.and good luck:)

So I finally decide I'm where I want to be long term... and now you tell me i need to move!?!? CRAP. :confused:

WOW, I see avalanches all the time (around 30 a year where I ride), I guess I'm just so used to seeing them, just a part of life here.(maybe why I'm such a hardass, can't imagine somewhere with that little avy risk) It'd be nice to be somewhere that you don't have to be on edge all the time I suppose though.

C
Jan 24, 2009
Labrador, Canada
It really depends on where you live, I've only ever seen 1 hill around here have an Avy and I was standing at the bottom when it got there. Snow almost got up to my knees, got my feet wet from a bit of snow getting in my boot, not such a big deal around here to have a shovel in the backpack or on the sled because if you get caught in an avy here you just need to lift your foot out and go back to riding.

Now if I was living somewhere where I could get buried I would have it on my back, but when I opened this thread I was hoping to see more pictures of mounting on the sled for when I get my M8 next year.

Z

Zachcreek

Oct 18, 2008
Buena Vista Colorado
Probe, metal shovel and emergency stuff on my back. Plastic one under my seat for diggin my sled (M8) out, also highjacker lift. And twinkies for extra strength.

M
Feb 5, 2009
Ok. So... I carry a shovel and a probe in my seat... ready to chew me out yet... well, I also carry a shovel and a probe in my backpack. I ride in a lot of high risk areas so I'd rather carry a little extra weight for the possiblility of having my gear when needed. When the worst happens you won't have time to react so maybe it's just peice of mind, but i'm gonna have both on me just in case i get seperated from my sled or my pack.

That said, not everyone rides in avy terrain. Of course it's common knowledge, for those of us who have any left, to carry your gear on you. But what if the tallest hill you ride all day is your trailer ramp? Is it really neccesary to haul your gear on you? I know alot of people who would'nt leave the trail if you paid them. Does that mean your gonna chew them out for having their shovels stored in the seat?

Let's keep it clean boys! If you ride in risky areas, be prepared! No matter what that means. And don't forget that as sledders we stick together. When was the last time you saw someone broke down and stopped, talked to them about their problems and then chewed them out about what they are doing wrong? Never... so why do you have to do it over a computer?

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Ok. So... I carry a shovel and a probe in my seat... ready to chew me out yet... well, I also carry a shovel and a probe in my backpack. I ride in a lot of high risk areas so I'd rather carry a little extra weight for the possiblility of having my gear when needed. When the worst happens you won't have time to react so maybe it's just peice of mind, but i'm gonna have both on me just in case i get seperated from my sled or my pack.

That said, not everyone rides in avy terrain. Of course it's common knowledge, for those of us who have any left, to carry your gear on you. But what if the tallest hill you ride all day is your trailer ramp? Is it really neccesary to haul your gear on you? I know alot of people who would'nt leave the trail if you paid them. Does that mean your gonna chew them out for having their shovels stored in the seat?

Let's keep it clean boys! If you ride in risky areas, be prepared! No matter what that means. And don't forget that as sledders we stick together. When was the last time you saw someone broke down and stopped, talked to them about their problems and then chewed them out about what they are doing wrong? Never... so why do you have to do it over a computer?

having 'em on your sled and your person is even better. nice.

this conversation only applies to those who ride in the mountains really. if you ride the flats, then who cares where you put the shovel. I think this topic got a little derailed (ok, a lot). but Frosty rides in WA and we get BIG avy's here that are extremely powerful (heavy DEEP snow here). I've seen an entire forest wiped out in one slide and AGAIN, it was across a road and not even in a riding area...

this is a good topic, though I don't appreciate magicandmystrey's dissing about shovels going up people's a$$. It would seem that place is already occupied by your head magic. :eek:

All joking aside - yes, this thread got off topic BUT many of those killed in Avy's were the unprepared ones, often flatlanders on trips that don't know the proper procedures for staying safe. Let's not give them more ammo to make bad decisions.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Craig Colorado
Here's a couple of questions. Of all the people who were killed this year, how many had avalanche training? How many had all the proper gear on their person? How many had gear in their sled?
How many were saved by others with gear on their backs? On their sleds?
Most importantly, and a question that can't be answered, how many people avoided the situation because they had avalanche training?
BTW - I and my kids and most of my freinds have had multiple avy classes. Thats one thing we all seem to agree on - get educated, even us old guys.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Here's a couple of questions. Of all the people who were killed this year, how many had avalanche training? How many had all the proper gear on their person? How many had gear in their sled?
How many were saved by others with gear on their backs? On their sleds?
Most importantly, and a question that can't be answered, how many people avoided the situation because they had avalanche training?
BTW - I and my kids and most of my freinds have had multiple avy classes. Thats one thing we all seem to agree on - get educated, even us old guys.

If we can save jut ONE life because they decided to carry there shovel in there pack, then all the whining, *****ing and name calling was worth it:beer;

If this thread helped just ONE person it was worth it:)

S
Nov 26, 2007
Craig Colorado
If we can save jut ONE life because they decided to carry there shovel in there pack, then all the whining, *****ing and name calling was worth it:beer;

If this thread helped just ONE person it was worth it:)

I would realy like to know if the fatalities had avalanche training. I'm looking for a corralation beetween lack of training and fatalities and for a corralation between trained but wreckless/overconfident and fatalities.
I am NOT insinuating that anyone who has been killed was being careless, so no offense.
I am just wondering who is the most likely to get in the avalanche.

T

tcpeterson

Jan 14, 2009
Orofino, ID
I would realy like to know if the fatalities had avalanche training. I'm looking for a corralation beetween lack of training and fatalities and for a corralation between trained but wreckless/overconfident and fatalities.
I am NOT insinuating that anyone who has been killed was being careless, so no offense.

You are probably right, some of the avy victims more than likely did take classes. That just goes to show that avalanches are a natural occurrence and not predictable. An example of this is Matt Potratz, he was caught in an avalance over a month ago and is still in the hospital (vast improvement in the last few weeks!!). The point is that they did shear tests and had rode on both sides of the shoot that got him. **** happens!! Yes, the ideal thing to do is stay away but some of us just won't be happy sticking to the flat ground.

So yes, people that take classes are just as likely to get caught in an avy because they are going to classes to practice and inform themselves. However the real question is do the people that take to class practice? That is the key, you can take one class a year but if you don't practice once and a while it isn't as effective.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO

If I recall from the last time i went stat hunting, the majority of dealths in CO at least (55% I think it was?), had a minimum of beginner avy classes or the proper gear (I don't think they seperated the ones with a shovel in a pack or not though:D) & a good portion of the deaths had a level 1 min. This does to an extent seem to give some creedence to what you're saying, but also keep in mind that many poeple that are going to ride in the nasty areas get education in order to at least minimize the threat.

In the last two years I've seen quite a few slides with more than one person on the hill, and we had a death in Grand lake this year with 3 people on a slope. These all break one of the first rules you learn so it seems that many people have no training at all. I see people riding where I ride with no gear or education, it scares the piss out of me.

If where you ride is flat, why is it called mtn riding & why would you be on an M? Seems like a contradiction to me, I just assume when we talk about mtn riding we're assuming there is at least some risk.

Premium Features