• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best way to store shovel under the hood of M sled?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I 'm not a big fan of wearing a pack while riding. I typically put my hydropack in the back of my seat right above the rear heat exchanger to keep it from freezing and to keep the weight off my back while I'm riding.

I see there's a lot of room under the hood on a M8 to store a shovel. I was looking at storing mine somewhere between the SLP exhaust cannister and the brake assembly. The shovel blade and handle are seperated.

Have any of you come up with a novel way of storing your shovel or other items required while boondocking under the hood? I'd sure love to see a picture or two. If not, I'll come up with something on my own.

Thanks

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
the best way to store a shovel under the hood is to put it in your backpack.

or go ride trials, you never need the shovel too quick.

First stupid question you've asked on here btw, go look at what EVERY avy instructor anywhere will tell you, shovel belongs on you, not the sled.

Never hurts to have a spare on the sled, but that shouldn't be your main shovel.
I wish some of this stuff woul sink in to more people, how many people have to die because of rider stupidity & failure to take the proper precautions?
Buy a pack, get used to it.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
What happens when you get separated from your sled and don't have a shovel to dig out your best friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dont mean to be a hard a$$ but packs are the only way to go

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
I 'm not a big fan of wearing a pack while riding. I typically put my hydropack in the back of my seat right above the rear heat exchanger to keep it from freezing and to keep the weight off my back while I'm riding.

I see there's a lot of room under the hood on a M8 to store a shovel. I was looking at storing mine somewhere between the SLP exhaust cannister and the brake assembly. The shovel blade and handle are seperated.

Have any of you come up with a novel way of storing your shovel or other items required while boondocking under the hood? I'd sure love to see a picture or two. If not, I'll come up with something on my own.

Thanks

well considering you specified while " boondocking " i think your fine to put your shovel under the hood...if you think of going timbersled intake etc then you have room in the nose..

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
More and more on this forum I'm becoming disheartened by the less the helpful and downright arrogant responses some of you are providing. It's usually the same few again and again. If you don't have anything helpful to say, then don't repsond!

I have been mountain riding for well over 40 years. Yes, I have ridden with a backpack many times, for may years. I know all the "cool guys" think a backpack is the only way to go, and that's fine. The older I get, the less I care to be packing any extra weight on my back.

Yes, I boondock and really don't care to hillclimb much anymore. When I get stuck, I'm usually on my own so sometimes a shovel is helpful.

Disregard the question. I'll figure out a very effective mounting system on my own.

X

Xrider

Jul 9, 2001
Montana
Im sure you've seen this but we used to buy a cheap push-in broom handle holder from the hardware store and rivet it on to the belt guard and store shovel there. That was older skidoos, prolly not enough room on your cat.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
"arrogant responses" No, I don't think so. just trying to help, if you are riding in the mountains you are at risk of being involved in a Avalanche, no way to avoid it, I just offered my opinion, its a public forum.:rolleyes:

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
my cat shovel comes apart and fits in the stock seat storage.seen one on the clutch guard once that went into ther leg when they crashed:eek:

Last edited:
M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
Well I guess it is ok then, if you ride alone. Can't dig yourself out if you are completely buried.:rolleyes:

I myself think the advise on here is helpful, even more so than finding a place to put it under your hood.

Fact is, you can still get hit with an avalanche, on the trail in. Just look at this pic from Mcbride.

19448d1237744114t-march-conditions-048.jpg

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
Former backpack wearer here - After a bad car wreck, my back can't handle the weight all day anymore.

Tie-wrap a pair of PVC tubes vertically on the brake caliper side of the sled - One for the handle half and the other for the blade half.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
More and more on this forum I'm becoming disheartened by the less the helpful and downright arrogant responses some of you are providing. It's usually the same few again and again. If you don't have anything helpful to say, then don't repsond!

I have been mountain riding for well over 40 years. Yes, I have ridden with a backpack many times, for may years. I know all the "cool guys" think a backpack is the only way to go, and that's fine. The older I get, the less I care to be packing any extra weight on my back.

Yes, I boondock and really don't care to hillclimb much anymore. When I get stuck, I'm usually on my own so sometimes a shovel is helpful.

Disregard the question. I'll figure out a very effective mounting system on my own.

Not to be a dik, I've defended you on the "stupid thread" threads a few times, but the only arrogant response is to disregard the danger of avalanches in snowmobiling. You don't need to be hillclimbing to get killed or watch a buddy get killed. It's got nothing to do with being COOL, it's only your friends that take a risk by you not having a shovel. You risk nothing, your buddies probably have a shovel in their packs, so you're safe. On the other hand, I guess if they don't... screw 'em, they deserve it, right?!!!

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
ive seen M's with little rubber clamp things on the tunnel with the handle in those, and the shovel in the seat storage compartment.

hypnotoad

Lifetime Membership
Mar 21, 2009
not to hijack this thread but the pic of the slide was that on the way up to renshaw? if so does any one have any more of that slide.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
Not to be a dik,.I've defended you on the "stupid thread" threads a few times, but the only arrogant response is to disregard the danger of avalanches in snowmobiling. You don't need to be hillclimbing to get killed or watch a buddy get killed. It's got nothing to do with being COOL, it's only your friends that take a risk by you not having a shovel. You risk nothing, your buddies probably have a shovel in their packs, so you're safe. On the other hand, I guess if they don't... screw 'em, they deserve it, right?!!!

well i don;t consider matters safe cause my buddies have a shovel in there pack..and my buddies only risk in avy country is me with a shovel stored in my sled..???...anyway getting back on track i think its ok to lighten the load boondocking and have storage ideas for on the sled..and there is alot of avy free boondocking areas ..just my 2 cents

S
Dec 16, 2007
Hayden, ID
Frostbite, when I get my sled back from the shop I can try to send you some pic's of my shovel mounted under the hood , My lower back is fused with titanium, and wearing any kind of backpack irritates it, so I mounted it under the hood. It is better to have one under the hood then none at all, I have helped dig quite a few people out and had no complaints about where I chose to mount it!

bopper

Premium Member
Apr 28, 2008
elkford,bc
yep i keep my voile shovel under my seat.. works good i figured it would make noise but it doesnt

S
Equipment rarely saves lives...

The focus on equipment to save lives in my opinion is dangerous. While equipment saves lives in 1% of incidents, traveling safely and staying out of avalanches works 100%.

Where the shovel sits is important by the book, however not as important as traveling safely and avoiding hazard.

Traveling without incident involves knowing the avalanche danger and adjusting your terrain selection to be safe with the hazard level. This December involved riding roads and pastures with avalanche conditions high.

Be in control of your destiny and get educated on how to travel safely and ensure all your riding buddies do the same. A 3-day or week long course is worth every moment.

The riding deaths have been extreme this year, lets be smart and play safe. Knowledge is the the only answer.

Premium Features