• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which av pack bca or klim

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
that's nothing and if that's factory and not a collab which i highly doubt, it's still pretty tame.
how many times does it need to say "klim" and this is a men's jacket. "race spec" hahaha
apparently, for the AVY Vest, not even once.
2023-09-13_16-37-58.jpg2023-09-13_16-39-52.jpg

titus_4

Doo It Big
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 27, 2019
Indiana
that's nothing and if that's factory and not a collab which i highly doubt, it's still pretty tame.
how many times does it need to say "klim/klim logo" and this is a men's jacket. "race spec" hahaha
wearing that stuff is how you close down trails.

Probably more trails and riding areas closed or trying to be closed by the ski/snowboard companies you are supporting. A lot, not all, but most of them are against snowmobiles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
tried one on at haydays, I really liked how it fit.
No one could tell me the actual weight, even the guys from BCA. It feels a little heavy, but really like how it takes the weight off of my shoulders. Price at haydays was still around $1400 ish .

I was hoping to try out the one from Klim, to compair, but Snowbigdeal said another week before they would get one.

KLIM had the new avi packs on a display in their booth to see and play with. Well, I don't know if we were supposed to play with them but I did anyway as that was a major thing for me to see this year was the BCA FLOAT E2-25 Turbo vs the new KLIM ATLAS 14 & 24 packs. Nobody stopped me from doing what I was doing so I assume it was OK. I personally like this pack to be as small as possible and was set before hand that the new KLIM ATLAS 14 was going to be the one I wanted to pick up. The KLIM ASPECT 16 was a nice sized pack but the bucket plate front system I was not a fan of and didn't care for how it sat. The new KLIM ATLAS 14 is very small size wise. However, it was even a bit more minimalist then even I wanted. If you are really looking for the smallest avi bag it's very compact. I liked the KLIM ATLAS 24 and I have ridden with the previous KLIM version and was happy with that. (But you know how sledders are always trying new stuff.) I was actually set on picking that up when I walked out of the KLIM booth.........Then I ran into Mike Duffy at the BCA booth in a moment of calm in his day. He walked me through the new FLOAT E2-25 Turbo and I liked the layout and the straps a bit better. The new "Back Stash Zip" pocket on the lower back of the pack will be great for quick reach items that you don't want to take your pack off for. The straps are hard to explain but they feel softer to me and were a bit more padded I thought. Just seemed more comfortable.

I would really suggest taking a look over them in person if you at all can. While they are all the same E2 inflator system there is definitely fit differences in the bags IMO. But all of them seem like great quality and I would have no issue in that reguard with any of them.

For weight from both Websites for all the electronic avi packs:

KLIM ATLAS 24 = 6.49 lbs (2,945 g)
KLIM ATLAS 14 = 5.97 lbs (2,710 g)
KLIM ASPECT 16 = 6.59 lbs (2,990 g)

BCA FLOAT E2-25 Turbo = 6.20 lbs (2,812 g)
BCA FLOAT E2-25 = 5.869 lbs (2,662 g)
BCA FLOAT E2-35 = 6.1 lbs (2,792 g)
BCA FLOAT E2 Vest = 8.1 lbs (3,674 g)

I personally decided to go with the BCA FLOAT E2-25 Turbo as it looked like the best option for how I want my avi pack.

Good luck in your search!

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
Probably more trails and riding areas closed or trying to be closed by the ski/snowboard companies you are supporting. A lot, not all, but most of them are against snowmobiles.

i was kidding about the tacky riding gear closing trails. i'm sure you realized that but i'm mentioning it for clarification. could be, that those companies are against sledding in some ways but the ski/snowboard industry also relies on and uses sleds. i put most of the blame on sledders themselves and i see the frustration from non-sledders every year up here. it never fails at the snow parks that just about everybody and they're brother cant resist blipping the throttle with those dumbass cans while in the parking lot. it's like a small penis/short man convention going on as everybody's got something to prove, plus there's a blue haze from all the smoke and then you get the yahoos that can't resist flooring it right outta the park and on the trail where other peeps are snow shoeing/cross country skiing to get to their trails. all that would be fine if it were only sledders but that's never the case. add to that the trailers huge and small taking up a ton of space. now you obviously have to have trailers but it adds to the anger of all the subaru/e-car crowd and they're typically outspoken and well organized when it comes to environmental causes. we're our own worst enemy.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
KLIM had the new avi packs on a display in their booth to see and play with. Well, I don't know if we were supposed to play with them but I did anyway as that was a major thing for me to see this year was the BCA FLOAT E2-25 Turbo vs the new KLIM ATLAS 14 & 24 packs. Nobody stopped me from doing what I was doing so I assume it was OK. I personally like this pack to be as small as possible and was set before hand that the new KLIM ATLAS 14 was going to be the one I wanted to pick up. The KLIM ASPECT 16 was a nice sized pack but the bucket plate front system I was not a fan of and didn't care for how it sat. The new KLIM ATLAS 14 is very small size wise. However, it was even a bit more minimalist then even I wanted. If you are really looking for the smallest avi bag it's very compact. I liked the KLIM ATLAS 24 and I have ridden with the previous KLIM version and was happy with that. (But you know how sledders are always trying new stuff.) I was actually set on picking that up when I walked out of the KLIM booth.........Then I ran into Mike Duffy at the BCA booth in a moment of calm in his day. He walked me through the new FLOAT E2-25 Turbo and I liked the layout and the straps a bit better. The new "Back Stash Zip" pocket on the lower back of the pack will be great for quick reach items that you don't want to take your pack off for. The straps are hard to explain but they feel softer to me and were a bit more padded I thought. Just seemed more comfortable.

I would really suggest taking a look over them in person if you at all can. While they are all the same E2 inflator system there is definitely fit differences in the bags IMO. But all of them seem like great quality and I would have no issue in that reguard with any of them.

I personally decided to go with the BCA FLOAT E2-25 Turbo as it looked like the best option for how I want my avi pack.

Good luck in your search!
And there ya are.
I LOVE KLIM, heck, they are just down the street from my house.
But on this one item, I just think BCA has a better solution for my specific needs.:)

But if you want MINIMALIST, they absolutely WIN hands down!!! ;)

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
And there ya are.
I LOVE KLIM, heck, they are just down the street from my house.
But on this one item, I just think BCA has a better solution for my specific needs.:)

But if you want MINIMALIST, they absolutely WIN hands down!!! ;)

Keeping in mind I was talking about the ATLAS 14 with that comment. KLIM's ATLAS 24 is the same size as the BCA stuff.

I just wanted to clarify that for those who have not seen both in person.

S
Feb 23, 2022
US
Da kine ras poacher vest with Mammut removable airbag only because it rides so much better than a pack.llts of convenient pockets on the front . Not as much storage but you should be using a tunnel bag for bulky stuff to get weight off your back

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

law.74

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 16, 2017
My first pack was an E1 Atlas 24.
Great pack but I tended to max it out.
waste belt pockets were very handy.
I miss them on the aspect 16. The rapid probe deployment RPD was nice during an avy course. The aspect has neither.

I wish I’d waited as I think the atlas 14 would be ideal (almost). I’m annoyed it has one main compartment for both avy gear and everything else. At least you can add the RPD. Considering the vest will be less amenable to quick removal one might think the RPD a must and plan first to access a tunnel bag shovel as a first line.

i think I need to look next at the bca with E2.

Blainelukens

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 18, 2010
Bozeman, MT
I have the BCA E2 in a 35 L size. I rode with it all of last season roughly 2k miles on it and it has been great. I like the bigger bag as I can carry stuff if needed. Mostly just had an extra layer, gloves and goggles. All the heavier items go in my tunnel bag. It packs down smaller if it’s not full, the E2 system works well but is a pain to turn on and off as you have to dig all the way into the bottom of the pack. Definitely a poor design but I think it’s the same across the board with the klim packs.

titus_4

Doo It Big
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 27, 2019
Indiana
I have the BCA E2 in a 35 L size. I rode with it all of last season roughly 2k miles on it and it has been great. I like the bigger bag as I can carry stuff if needed. Mostly just had an extra layer, gloves and goggles. All the heavier items go in my tunnel bag. It packs down smaller if it’s not full, the E2 system works well but is a pain to turn on and off as you have to dig all the way into the bottom of the pack. Definitely a poor design but I think it’s the same across the board with the klim packs.

You know these packs were tested for at least a year, maybe more. How did they not address the issue that you mentioned? It is a terrible design having to open the pack all the way up.

Blainelukens

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 18, 2010
Bozeman, MT
You know these packs were tested for at least a year, maybe more. How did they not address the issue that you mentioned? It is a terrible design having to open the pack all the way up.
I’m not really sure how it slipped through. Given that Alpride is the airbag technology that both klim and BCA are using along with some others, they are just making it work in there bag/vest. Now that I’m accustom to using the bag I set it on my flatbed open it up all the way and turn it on, then put whatever in it I want for the day. To me it’s easier than dealing with canisters and can be deployed more than once. Is it perfect? No. Definitely an improvement over my last air bag though 🤷🏻‍♂️

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
I currently have an old BCA float 32. While having something light and minimalist is easier to wear, think of this. What happens if you and your sled get seperated/buried and some or all of your emergency gear is on your sled for weight savings on your shoulders? I for 1 can deal with a few extra pounds knowing that if I get seperated from my sled i have all my emergency supplies" food, water, space blanket, survival kit, spare gloves, puffy coat, glowsticks and multiple firestarters"

S

saurus

Nov 1, 2014
Canada
I use the highmark ridge. 5.5lbs all in and zero thinking / no recharge - just attach cylinder at season start and go. Mammut 3.0 cylinder last years and years.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Agree that the on/off switch on the KLIM ATLAS 14 is a pain right square in the ARSE!! Should not have to fully open up the pack, take some things out, to be able to turn on/off.

Two more "pains" are where you have to put in the batteries, and where you plug in the USB-C charge cord. All of these things should be accessible from the OUTSIDE of the pack - though a zip-up pocket or something like this. NOT user friendly!!

Hopefully BCA's new one is a little more thought out, and user friendly. :unsure:

law.74

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 16, 2017
I leave my alpride on all season.
i open up the pack to make sure it dries out every night so not a big deal to plug in.

i do stow the pull handle so I don’t inadvertently deploy the bag when not wearing it.

I agree not well thought out.

titus_4

Doo It Big
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 27, 2019
Indiana
Can anyone comment on sizing for the Klim avy vest? Only thing I've been able to find online is Dan Adams review and he says he's 5'8" 175 and normally wears a medium in gear. I'm about 5'9" 185. Don't know how tight an extra 10 pounds is gonna be especially wearing it over my mono.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Had a little time to fully check out the BCA Mtn Pro vest, and it has some good things a few not-so-great things to consider . . .

THE NOT-SO-GREAT
The charging port, on/off switch, AA battery compartment are actually WORSE than the Klim Atlas 14.
Don't really like the shovel handle storage sleeve. One mistake click of the buckle and that handle is lost forever. But, at least it is accessible from the outside of the pack (unlike the Klim)
Was not able to find a hole from inside the pack to shoulder strap, to route a mic cord through. Not a big deal, as i found another way to keep the cord from flapping around, but that would have been nice.
This might be a bit too warm for spring riding, as it covers pretty much your whole upper body.
A bit over-priced, in my opinion!

THE GOOD/GREAT
With proper adjustment, this pack/vest actually fits very well!!
More storage than the Klim - by far - due to the outside & stash pockets, and not having to put the shovel & handle inside the pack!!
Can store the shovel blade on the outside of the pack.
The 2 front pockets are AWESOME!! This was a GREAT idea by BCA!
The rear stash pocket is pretty nice for extra socks, or gloves - assuming it is waterproof. Otherwise, put these in a plastic bag.
There are 2 other vertical zipper vents on the chest, that can double as pockets. These are nice too!
Really like how easy it is to change pull handle from one side to the other.
I like being able to completely cover the pull handle inside the zipper pocket when not riding.
The removable kidney pads and chest pads are very nice. This will probably be necessary for spring riding.
The crotch strap having a buckle is nice - easy to attach and remove without having to take the loop off the strap like the Klim.

That's all i can think of for now . . . .

Premium Features