• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best way to store shovel under the hood of M sled?

T

tcpeterson

Jan 14, 2009
Orofino, ID
Time to let it go

Ok seriously, i know i even made a few comments on this post but i think the points were made. Lets just let this post die. Even frostbite admitted that he was done with it, so lets move on!!!

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
well its been fun,entertaining and edgeucational.wheres the spellcheck?LOL.night all.:beer;

L
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Forks BC Canada
Holy Molly! I thought I'd take a peak at this post after my mandatory three day cooling off period.

My apologies, I seem to have started the urinary olympics with this topic and all I got was two pictures. :beer;

Guys, I really don't care to fight any longer about where a shovel belongs and does not belong while riding.

I was just looking for shovel storage ideas. Boss and other build seats with shovel and probe storage. I wish my Boss seat had this pocket, this issue would have never come up.

I understand why people ride with their shovels on their back. Hopefully, those of you who do can understand why some of us have chosen an alternative method of carrying our potentially life saving shovels.

It's just not worth fighting about for me. Fight on if you must, but know that was never the intention of this post.

Frostbite

Here is where mine is. I found sometimes when I'm stuck I can't open my hood.

Shovel.jpg

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
not to stir the pot, and this isnt even really related... but i can't remember the last time i used a shovel to get unstuck. i just move the snow with my hands and then yank or roll the sled over if its POW. This might be a mute point, but i don't see seasoned riders in my area ever using their shovels... i used to use mine, but haven't for years now. I carry it for Avy use only. :eek: if i was alone i could see using it, but even when i'm stuck somewhere where someone can't get me, i still don't use my shovel.

plug for AC here though - the new rear tunnel design has really helped me get stuck a lot less this year. My sled just keeps moving where it got stuck last year (well, mines a BDX, but samething).

if i did use my shovel for digging out, then i could see having two of them. one on the sled and the other on me. :cool:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
you can't get a sled out on hills like this without rolling to the bottom, snow was soft for 1ft then pretty set up. prob about 500ft up. I use a shovel quite a bit(at least once a ride), theres just no option in some snow conditions on the steep hills I've been on with the sled nearly straight up. But I get what you mean.

P3240108.jpg P3240103.jpg P3240104.jpg

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Damn! That's steep!

My pictures in the mountains always seem to look like I was in the hills of western Nebraska for some reason. (no offense to Nebraska). A guy has to be careful not to offend you know. :beer;

Thanks for the picture longtrack156

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
you can't get a sled out on hills like this without rolling to the bottom, snow was soft for 1ft then pretty set up. prob about 500ft up. I use a shovel quite a bit(at least once a ride), theres just no option in some snow conditions on the steep hills I've been on with the sled nearly straight up. But I get what you mean.

DAMN - that is steep bud! :eek:

Why didn't you turn out!? :D ha ha.

funny, i just never use my shovel even when i'm stuck like that. i just tug her around. i've had her start roll once, but i grabbed it in time. :eek:

that's quite the pit you dug infront of your sled though... must of taken awhile!

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I trenched through the crust and if you try to pull it around and it breaks free say goodbye, not worth it when theres trees below, I went to recue a buddie that got bucked of and he had to hang on to the sled to keep it from sliding and rolling, the sled was teetering wanting to roll so I had to dig around the other side to twist it as it came down. Didn't take that long actually there was a rock well that I uncovered so I just shoveled the snow into it, not the kind a hill you want to risk your sled on, steeper than it looks, my helmet got away and wound up over 200yards away in the bottom of the valley. Turning out in the shoot that I stuck the tree on would not have been a good Idea, I went through someones stuck hole and stood her straight up(may not look straight up but I hit the tree at least a foot higher than where the bumper is in the pic) and at the tree so I just stuck it, but you can barely see I used the shovel to dig a side path and finish my way to the top, thus a shovel got me over the top first:D

P3240107.jpg P3240102.jpg

Last edited:

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
shovel it

got to agree with savage.............patience is a virtue and likely to keep you from dying in an avalanche, no patience?.......... wear it all on your back, style points today are on your back.

Yes I will come rescuse those again, I know you will still ride there when I ask you not to. And yes you can have a pack. There are no awards for riding in avalanche areas, there are no mysteries why some can't tell the difference, you can't count on quiet suffocation from the avalanche, in anger you may be dismembered. I will not lie to the living.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
got to agree with savage.............patience is a virtue and likely to keep you from dying in an avalanche, no patience?.......... wear it all on your back, style points today are on your back.

Yes I will come rescuse those again, I know you will still ride there when I ask you not to. And yes you can have a pack. There are no awards for riding in avalanche areas, there are no mysteries why some can't tell the difference, you can't count on quiet suffocation from the avalanche, in anger you may be dismembered. I will not lie to the living.

:confused:

that's probably it catman - i wear a pack to look cool. I also am more likely to ride up an Avy chute in HIGH avy danger because i'm wearing a pack...

give me a break.

I think i'm more pissed at myself for continuing to get sucked into this stupid argument than i am about the answers on here that i don't agree with.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I wonder how many people that died in avy's were aware of the danger? I know we ride in areas that are prone & take steps to decrease danger, but so often it seems that the people that get buried didn't realize how much danger they were in. It just comes down to the fact that the other guy might not have a clue how bad conditions are, whethere he has a pack or not, and if you're nearby, even if you're not stupid enough to be on that slope that day, YOU are going to try to save him.

What you ride has nothing to do with this argument, it is ALL about what OTHERS ride because, for the 12th time, THE SHOVEL IS NOT FOR YOU!!!

Gotta go, there's 3 feet of soft dry fresh on top of a sunbaked layer & I need to go drop some cornices (but I'm safe cause I've got a backpack:D)

L
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Forks BC Canada
not to stir the pot, and this isnt even really related... but i can't remember the last time i used a shovel to get unstuck. i just move the snow with my hands and then yank or roll the sled over if its POW. This might be a mute point, but i don't see seasoned riders in my area ever using their shovels... i used to use mine, but haven't for years now. I carry it for Avy use only. :eek: if i was alone i could see using it, but even when i'm stuck somewhere where someone can't get me, i still don't use my shovel.

plug for AC here though - the new rear tunnel design has really helped me get stuck a lot less this year. My sled just keeps moving where it got stuck last year (well, mines a BDX, but samething).

if i did use my shovel for digging out, then i could see having two of them. one on the sled and the other on me. :cool:

At my age a shovel is necessary. I can't yank my sled around like I used too.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
At my age a shovel is necessary. I can't yank my sled around like I used too.

If you really look like your avatar, then you're doing pretty good riding at all!!!;)

Hell, even at my age I admit when it's a bad stuck I pull out the shovel & take it slow just to ease up on my back!! I seem to use it pretty often for digging out.

Premium Features